The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Courtier

BTW you can't tell accent from Elisabeth or Gabriel, they sound the same in french and dutch!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Nobility

Solemn and elegant ceremony, as Queen Fabiola deserved it.
Rest in Peace dear Queen.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Greek royals I do nit really know how closely they are apparengted, but Romania and Bulgaria are not also a branch of Saxe-Coburg?
Yes but with an extremely distant relation...they share their ancestors with Leopold I's father I think
Old 12-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was a very moving funeral service . I cried almost all the times of the service, I cried more for the mass of the Queen Fabiola than for the mass of King Baudoin. Although I admired a lot King Baudoin and I was sad when He died .
Old 12-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I apologize for asking, but I couldn't see the entire funeral mass. Does anyone know if it is already available online in a non-live feed ?

Thank you very much.
It is: NOS Uitvaart Fabiola gemist? Kijk het op npo.nl
Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Nobility

I am considering now that one of Gabriel's middle name is Baudouin...I assume the boy was a little favourite of her because of that...
Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The Romanian Royal Family descends from the Hohenzollerns but are relatives with the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Royal Highness

http://images.cdn.impresa.pt/caras/2...jpg?v=w870h555
Old 12-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
It is our Belgian flag :) Only because the colours are horizontal, they can be mistaken with the German one. But those colours are in a different order.
I'm sorry for mistake, I thought the Belgian flag had the same colours than the french one, but in a different disposal, really sorry.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
BTW you can't tell accent from Elisabeth or Gabriel, they sound the same in french and dutch!
The children of the King all go to Dutch-speaking schools, the language of the majority of the Belgians. At home the spoken language is French. In this way the King and Queen hope to raise their children completely bilingual.

It seems Princess Elisabeth and possibly her siblings even get remedial teaching for French. Because the education is Dutch and the spoken language at home is French, the writing and reading in French is not "up to date" and needs additonal education, so it seems.

Their Dutch and French sounds good, I must say. Just with a Belgian tongue, we can say.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
Excuse my french but what the heck is this?

The picture of Fabiola in that commemoration card is one of my favorites.
Laurent is kind of odd. But he also seems to be a deeply emotional man, and he really adores his children. He especially dotes on his eldest child and only daughter Louise. I am not surprised that he wants to congratulate her for a good effort.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I think the niece was doña Blanca Escrivá de Romaní y Mora, one of the daughters of Queen Fabiola's eldest sister.
You are correct. It is indeed Dona Blanca, who is married to the 7th marquess de la Ahumada. She is the 5th child (out of 10) of Maria de las Nieves de Mora y Aragon (countess of Sastago), the eldest sister of Fabiola.

That part was one of the the high lights of the service IMO. Her relatives seemed emotional, between a smile and tears. It is obvious that the Queen was very loved by those around her.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
Excuse my french but what the heck is this?

The picture of Fabiola in that commemoration card is one of my favorites.
It is a photoshop
Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Majesty

I didn't get to watch any of the Requiem but the descriptions from the various posters all make it sound quite elegant and moving.

Just a few observances..."Exultate Jubilate" was sung at the Nuptial Mass of Baudouin and Fabiola in Dec 1960.

"The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha was Baudouin and Fabiola's favorite...they considered it "their song". Visitors to their apartments at Laeken Palace remember hearing it being played on the stereo quite frequently. I am not surprised that Fabiola wanted it at her funeral too.

I knew Philippe and Mathilde were devoted to Queen Fabiola, but it's very moving to see this normally reserved, supremely composed couple so obviously upset. When HM's body was brought to Brussels for public viewing I saw the two of them holding one another for support as they approached her open coffin. Very sad!

I was just thinking the other day how the "Song of Songs" from the Old Testament describes the bond between Baudouin and Fabiola to utter perfection, and the Story of Ruth could have been written about Fabiola Mora y Aragon. I am so happy it was included in HM's funeral liturgy.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I'm sorry for mistake, I thought the Belgian flag had the same colours than the french one, but in a different disposal, really sorry.
No problem at all The flags of our surrounding countries aren't the easiest to remember The Dutch flag is the one that has the same colours of France, but then horizontally
Old 12-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Sirindhorn:
http://images.cdn.impresa.pt/caras/2...jpg?v=w364h555
Old 12-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

They really captured Fabiolas personality in this funeral.
RIP

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 12-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Majesty

Gallery and article from Royalista: Farewell and rest in peace Queen Fabiola | Royalista
Old 12-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Aristocracy

One thing is for sure, the Belgian RF knows how to do funerals in a beautiful, personal and elegant way. It was an impressive service.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Unforgettable Event!
I was there at 8.00 and had a first place at the Protocole rows ; I entered with an Old Nun who knew the Queen.
At 9.00 the Belgian Nobilities , the Ambassadors , the President of the Courts and Lawyers in their toge, also Members of the Order of St Sepulchre with their white and red Toge. (?)
The Presidents of the Parliament and the Senate and our Ministers. I did not see the Lord Mayor of Antwerp.
And then started the Royal Houses , Archduchess Carl Ludwig of Habsbourg and her Children , Archduchess Rodolphe of Habsbourg with her Children. The Empress Farah , Don Duarte of Portugal, Princess Lea and Princess Marie Esmeralda, Princess Isabella of Liechtenstein, Saudi and Princes from Maroc and others.
Then the Reigning Houses , the Prince of Liechtenstein, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg , Sisters , Brothers and Children the whole Grand Ducal House was there;
The King and the Queen from Sweden , Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands , Queen Margarethe II, King Harald and his Sister Princess Astrid. They were followed by Members of their Houses wearing orders.
The old Grand Duke Jean and the former King and Queen of Spain entered a special door.

And then my first Shock, I saw an old frail Lady needing help for the steps . She entered the Cathedral in a black long dress with a little train and her hands were hidden. Is was the Empress of Japan and Everybody was bowing....

And then Cardinal Danneels and Monseigneur Leonard came at the main door and welcomed the late Queen Fabiola I heard out side the Last post and la Brabançonne.(second chock)

And the Coffin in simple clear oak entered the Church followed King Phllippe , Queen Mathilde and their Children, Kind Albert II (devastated) and Queen Paola, Princess Astrid who kissed the old Nun who was sitting behind me, her husband and Chldren and at the end Prince Laurent (not in black with sunglasses) Princess Claire in black and their 3 Children.
The coffin lays on the ground as the one of Pope Jean Paul II.

The Funeral mass started , the lectures in french and in dutch.

The intentions first Princess Elisabeth in dutch and french, Prince Gabriel in french and Dutch, Prince Amadeo in french and Dutch, Heditary Grand Duke Guillaume in German, A member of Queen Fabiola's family in Spanish and at the end sweet princess Louise in English.

The Holy Communion and ho .. third shock our Cardinal Danneels felt down...this was not seen on the cameras.

The Songs during the Communion Ave Maria , Libera me Out, Amazing Grace and the last one my fourth shock the Spanish " la salve Rociera" unforgettable !

The Dutch Will Tura : Hoop doet leven and José van Dam "la Quête " from l'homme de la Mancha / Jacques Brel.
The Brabançonne at the end and the Coffin of the late Queen went out of the Cathedral direction the Church of Laeken.

Queen Fabiola , I will never forget you and as Cardinal Danneels said in french in his homelie, Son coeur battait avec celui de tous les belges "

Tags
belgium, death, fabiola, funeral, queen fabiola