Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, that particular photo did look wierd, but when you hear and see that the entire family were grief stricken, Philippe and Laurent both looked like they were desperate to keep control.

Then think of Laurant the father whose little girl is stepping up to speak or pray, I couldn't tell which because I don't speak the language, but Laurent's face says it all. He is encouraging his daughter and gives her the thumbs up when she finishes and, when she comes back to her seat, he kisses the back of her hand. How hard to be both distraught and justifiably proud.

Strangely enough, the dreaded Mail showed the photos and explained!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/24006DBB00000578-2871364-image-a-266_1418397921823.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/23FFFD6200000578-2871364-image-a-195_1418388899906.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/23FFFC0800000578-2871364-image-a-197_1418388920133.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/23FFFE3900000578-2871364-image-a-190_1418388885638.jpg

Both Philippe and Laurent were crying at one point or another of the service, the latter more openly, the King tried to keep it together but it was hard knowing how much he loved Fabiola.

Out of the British, which are the other completely absent royal families?

Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Monaco

What about Russia?
Sorry if matter has been already mentioned, I was absent, I saw the funeral and was out of my computer for a long while, impossible to read all posts, too long.

Other point, i was astonished by Queen's Mathilde pain, her face was puffy, she seemed to be crying for the last whole week.

Last edited:

Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Monaco

What about Russia?
Sorry if matter has been absent, I saw the funeral and was out of mu computer for a long while, impossible to read all posts, too long.

Other point, i was astonishe by Queen's Mathilde pain, her face was puffy, she seemed to be crying for the last whole week.
Grand Duke Georgy was at the funeral. He sat behind Qatar prince.

Last edited:
I'm dying to know the anecdotes they told of their personal dealings with Fabiola. BIG THANK YOUs to anyone who can help.

:flowers:

The video you paste was only a part of the speech, I translated the rest too.
I have to improve my english, I know, but I hope you can still understand it ;)

Your majesty, on 8 december, after watching your coffin leaving the Stuyvenbergh castle, were we had the pleasure to serve you, we gathered and wrote you these words, to our beloved queen.
This moment was very beautiful, a moment where, like one of the last persons who arrived in the service said: we felt like brothers and sisters, thanks to you.

Your majesty, you were for us an example of charity and joyful humility. Humble and loving to everyone of the staff who was working for you, you truly were.
Humble and loving, you thanked us for the littliest thing we did, when it was just our job to do it.
Humble and loving, there wasn't a day without you apologizing for something you did.
Humble and loving, we have never felt like she was our boss, she was our boss, but she didn't handle like she was.
Humble and loving, you always tought the other deserved more than you. You would even cut a little strawberry in two halves to give one half to someone. We remember you said "4 for me, and 8 for you".
Humble and loving, you respected the mother tongue of each of us. Every time whe could enjoy your fresh and your always present sense of creativity and sense of initiative. This made that no workday was ever the same, let alone predictable. And there was always a moment to enjoy our queen with her laughter and who radiated joy.

Working with you meant: believing again in our capacities who were buried, but that you could always bring back to life with your enthousiasm and confidence.
Working with you was discovering your never-ending patience when you had to explain something to us.
Working with you was discovering a sincere interest and curiosity for our entire person, and our family, our health, our joys and sorrows.
Working with you, majesty, was discovering the importance of flexibility, and discovering your favorite expression "mais c'est phénoménal" (it's phenomenal)
The 8 december, with all of us around the table, on of us said "Our queen always said 'mais c'est phenomenal'. Even if you only passed her a toothpick"
Fact is, madam, that you truly found it phenomenal.
Phenomenal also, that specific gesture that we all know (shows his two hands clasped), what you meant with that was a sign of connectedness, encouragement and happiness with the result of something.
One of the gardeners said you made this gesture even from behind the window when he was working in the garden. You made the gesture like if together, you won the olympic games.
But to us, majesty, you were phenomenal.

We are o so grateful that we could work for you. Thousand times thank you.

I remember her saying "mais c'est phénomenal". But I didn't know it was her favorite expression.
Bleh, I feel so sad... :sad:

And my sincere condolences for the loss of your friend, Tiggersk8 I'll say a prayer for him and his close ones and you.

According to royalblog.nl the organisation was a mess, especially transportation. Reining monarchs had to wait until the church was almost empty before their cars were there. Traffic in Brussels was a mess yesterday due to a strike.

According to royalblog.nl the organisation was a mess, especially transportation. Reining monarchs had to wait until the church was almost empty before their cars were there. Traffic in Brussels was a mess yesterday due to a strike.

Yesterday was no strike..next monday is here a national strike

Yes, that was very clearly visible! Embarrassing...:ermm:

Traffic in Brussels was a mess due to the weather who was very bad. The strike is now monday, but it is, with the weather, the main reason why so little folk was there outside the cathedral. As everyone is forced to take a day off monday, nobody could take a day off to go to the cathedral. Also, it's finals time here (I believe princess Elisabeth had to miss her exam that day), so schools couldn't be there either...

I doubt whether the crowned heads who had to wait for their cars in a majestic Cathedral during a storm outside were upset about lack of organization nor were they embarrassed. Most of them were there out of respect and affection for the late queen.

What they will remember about this funeral is that it was enormously moving and beautiful, not that they had to wait for their cars.

They were undoubtedly honored to be there no matter what.

Well, later in the evening I wanted to see the funeral once again and searched on VRT and Canvas for a re-run: nothing. Then I watched the 18.00 o'clock news: it was the second item after the plans for a strike and only a few moments were shown (Princess Elisabeth reading in Dutch and the unavoidable Will Tura... but neglecting the much more emotional Salve Rociera...)

When you are used to Dutch channels really broadcasting e-ve-ry-thing and showing a re-run in the evening for the people who had to work, it was remarkably sparse what the VRT showed. They also did not use techniques like the NOS during the 2002 Wedding and the 2013 Investiture (invisible robotcamera's hidden in chandeliers, even using silent drones inside church and an excellent lighting plan combined with a very sharp and clean direction), it was all so-so... eh... done without fantasy, without heart, without effort. I can not receive VTM and RTBf over here, I hope their service was better because that from VRT was poor, very poor...

Everything together, the stormy circumstances, the empty streets, the lack of decorum (undoubtedly according the wishes of the Queen), it all left a double impression on me. The King and Queen, their four children: perfect and excellent. Prince Laurent in his blue (!) suit with sunglasses.... eeeeerhhhh.... The music by José van Dam, Sophie Karthäuser and Coro Rociero: wonderful. Will Tura, ach ja... taste is in the eye of the beholder.

I saw some clips of the funeral on YouTube, and it seemed to be a very moving service. It was nice how Fabiola's Spanish relatives attended, as well as other RFs from the reigning and non-reigning houses. I was a little disappointed in the non-attendance from the BRF, as I was expecting someone to attended, but those who don't have many official royal duties to fulfill, such as Princess Michael.

It was lovely how Princess Elisabeth performed a speech, it seems that Philippe and Mathilde are preparing her more for her future role as Queen of the Belgians. Is there an English translation of her speech?

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tiggersk8 - sending virtual hugs and prayers your way. I lost my great-aunt this summer and she always attended my family's Christmas events, so Christmas is going to feel strange without her this year.

It was no speech, Princess Elisabeth was one of the participants to recite the prayers of the faithful, as it is called. I have tried to translate it as best I can:

HRH The Duchess of Brabant
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. Uncle Baudouin and Aunt Fabiola have continuously searched for peace, again and again by going to meet each and everyone. Inspired by their example, Lord, give us the strength to give up our aggressiveness and to recognize that we are all brothers. Help to make us artisans of peace, justice, gentleness and mercy.

HRH Prince Gabriel of Belgium
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Comfort us, heal our wounded hearts, that we may be joyful instruments of Your consolidation for those who live amidst the trials of life, for those who have no voice, for those who are excluded, for the sick, for the prisoners, for those who suffer from hunger and loneliness. Lord, grant us that our life is a reflection of Your love.

HRH The Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Lord, reveal to us Your face of Love, You who truly meek, You, the true peacemaker, the truly poor in spirit, the persecuted under the persecuted. Give us, that we discover the joy that You are offering us now. Give us that we live according the Beatitudes, which send down Heaven upon earth, and that we begin eternal life today.

HRH Princess Louise of Belgium
Lord, we pray for Your Church. Enable the Holy Father, all Your shepherds, all the consecrated and all those who are baptised, to be attentive to the Gospel each day and to serve in the image of Christ, who washes peoples' feet and gives His life for love. Holy Spirit, we beseech You, come, drench the arid, heal the wounded, that all may be reconciled with God.

HI&RH Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Belgium
Lord, we pray for the couples. Give them, the image of Love and the Beloved from the Song of Songs, let them marvel in joy every day. Give us, Lord, give families the option that King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola experienced: to wonder and to rediscover each other in daily life and make it a source of joy.

Doña Blanca Escrivá de Romaní y Mora, Marchioness of Ahumada
The eternal love of God shed in our hearts is the symbol of marriage and family as it also was in the life of King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola, whom has born her illness with such courage and serenity as a way to achieve her desire for holiness. May her example endure in all of us. With the Virgin Mary we pray to the Lord.

Last edited:

Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Monaco

What about Russia?
Sorry if matter has been already mentioned, I was absent, I saw the funeral and was out of my computer for a long while, impossible to read all posts, too long.

Other point, i was astonished by Queen's Mathilde pain, her face was puffy, she seemed to be crying for the last whole week.
To the best of my knowledge, neither Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna nor Grand Georgi attended the funeral.

Watching the funeral it is so easy to see how well loved Fabiola was by her family. Phillipe and Mathilde were clearly devastated and it was clear Maria-Laura was really struggling. When Gabriel was crying it was a good idea for him to leave and gather himself together.

I doubt whether the crowned heads who had to wait for their cars in a majestic Cathedral during a storm outside were upset about lack of organization nor were they embarrassed. Most of them were there out of respect and affection for the late queen.
The crowned heads who had to wait for their cars during a storm outside, maybe, weren't upset about lack of organization.
But soldiers who had to stand at attention and saluted 10 min during a storm outside WERE UPSET

To the best of my knowledge, neither Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna nor Grand Georgi attended the funeral.

Grand Duke George was sitting next to King Fouad of Egypt.

Perhaps Spheno, but I doubt it. Enlisted service personnel-soldiers-are trained to persevere in conditions much more harrowing than having to maintain a salute during a rainstorm.

Not sure if these have been posted further back in this thread. GD Henri and Mt and Queen Mathilde and King Carl Gustav making a special effort to talk with Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. Its just
nice to see the warmth and respect among the European royals.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/674/LpBnEV.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/905/aZuh6Z.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/674/sHjsCY.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/674/7qrrZJ.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/910/W1EzrD.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/lNG7Dr.jpg

Last edited:
Moonmaiden,
The King had to wait in his car too for the Departures for the Church of Laeken . They had to wait the whole Luxembourg and the Spanish relatives going to their busses.

Afterwards the Royals who attended the Dinner went out ! They stayed in the Cathedral waiting.. This should not have happen

Moonmaiden,
The King had to wait in his car too for the Departures for the Church of Laeken . They had to wait the whole Luxembourg and the Spanish relatives going to their busses.

Afterwards the Royals who attended the Dinner went out ! They stayed in the Cathedral waiting.. This should not have happen

I agree with you, it should not have. But it was still a lovely and moving ceremony very worthy of Queen Fabiola. And I am happy that you were there because you cared a lot for her.

If I could have gone to Brussels I would have gone too. Fabiola was an amazing woman and I will miss her.

Last edited:
Many thanks to whoever took the time and trouble to type out the long speech from a member of staff at the funeral.

Moonmaiden,

Maria Olivia did you get to see any of the royal guests or were you seated with the nobility?

that was moving Funeral for lovely lay.
May she rest in peace.

I think also Jordan and the rest of Gulf royalty didn't attend expect SA who send a prince to represent.

Many thanks to whoever took the time and trouble to type out the long speech from a member of staff at the funeral.

My pleasure. :) Everyone who had the chance to know -personally or not- Queen Fabiola knew what a great and charitable lady she was. She was maybe not the most glamourish queen (I agree Q. Paola is much more beautiful) but she was a real lady, with her heart on the right spot. She will be greatly missed.

In Dutch tv-show "Blauw Bloed" there was a very nice clip of the funeral and an interview with royalty reporter Marlene de Wouters who had met and spoke with Q.Fabiola quite a few times.
She stated that the funeral was done completely according to Q.Fabiola's wishes and in her style ( for instance with the coffin being on the ground, or "back to earth" as it were).
She also mentioned a lovely personal anecdote of having had a little chat with Q.Fabiola some years ago and Ms de Wouters had noticed the very beautiful walking cane Q.Fabiola used. They talked about that and Ms de Wouters had mentioned to the queen that she was looking for a cane for her father, but that it was difficult to find a suitable one. At the end of the chat the queen had asked her for her address.
Three days later a aide of the queen approached Ms de Wouters with a parcel; and in it was a walking cane that Q.Fabiola had received from her husband K.Boudewijn, wrapped in the original wrapping.
When Ms de Wouters later met the queen again and thanked her for her wonderful gift, Q.Fabiola said that it's was quite okay and not a big deal, but she told her "please tell your father, it is also very useful to get the cobwebs out of the curtains"

Thought i'd share, i thought it was a sweet anecdote :flowers:

In Dutch tv-show "Blauw Bloed" there was a very nice clip of the funeral and an interview with royalty reporter Marlene de Wouters who had met and spoke with Q.Fabiola quite a few times.
She stated that the funeral was done completely according to Q.Fabiola's wishes and in her style ( for instance with the coffin being on the ground, or "back to earth" as it were).
She also mentioned a lovely personal anecdote of having had a little chat with Q.Fabiola some years ago and Ms de Wouters had noticed the very beautiful walking cane Q.Fabiola used. They talked about that and Ms de Wouters had mentioned to the queen that she was looking for a cane for her father, but that it was difficult to find a suitable one. At the end of the chat the queen had asked her for her address.
Three days later a aide of the queen approached Ms de Wouters with a parcel; and in it was a walking cane that Q.Fabiola had received from her husband K.Boudewijn, wrapped in the original wrapping.
When Ms de Wouters later met the queen again and thanked her for her wonderful gift, Q.Fabiola said that it's was quite okay and not a big deal, but she told her "please tell your father, it is also very useful to get the cobwebs out of the curtains"

Thought i'd share, i thought it was a sweet anecdote :flowers:

Thank you a lot for the anecdote :) coming from her, it doesn't surprise me at all :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom