Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I haven´t been too pleased about Baud.´s funeral, too. Some wore white, lot of people (ladies) grey, some black.
But there had been at least a funeral procession from the Palace to the cathedral. But today there weren´t enough people, as I stressed before, for a funeral procession...

There´s really no comparison between Jos.-Charlotte´s, the Queen Mother´of Britain´s funeral (hers was almost like one of a Queen Regnant) and today. I know, of course, that the personalities of these ladies had been completely different and this fact reflects in their respective last-goodbys

The funeral may have lacked in protocol and ceremony, but the mass was actually one of the best services I've seen in royal funerals. The readings from the Bible were very well chosen, I enjoyed the music and the cardinal's sermon, and there was genuine emotion from the family and the congregation.

It was very painful seeing little Prince Emmanuel Baudouin sobbing like that. Perhaps that is why some people don't bring children to funerals because it's too upsetting and intense for them.

It's Gabriel, not Emmanuel :)
And I don't really agree, he's eleven, and it's not just a funeral, Q. Fabiola was like a grandmother to them...

I read several times questions whether there were so less people in the streets and in front of the cathedral. I can imagine that the bad weather was the reason for many people not to go outside, but watch the funeral on tv or via internet.

Let's hope that the BRF will soon be able to cope the death and that it will be easier for them to know that she is now reunited with her husband and all of her unborn children.

I read several times questions whether there were so less people in the streets and in front of the cathedral. I can imagine that the bad weather was the reason for many people not to go outside, but watch the funeral on tv or via internet.

Let's hope that the BRF will soon be able to cope the death and that it will be easier for them to know that she is now reunited with her husband and all of her unborn children.

I know someone who was outside and just went back home. There he could watch the ceremony and not get sick. Just after the funeral I walked 100 meters outside and I was really wet. And the wind is not to stand either. Sane people just couldn't stay out, even for the love of the queen. They will all get sick.
And also, this is maybe the main reason: we have a national strike on monday. Everyone is "forced" to take a day off then (no public transports and all the ways are blocked), so everybody had to work today...

What an emotional day it has been and everything was conducted with such dignity. The main observations I have is the open emotion of the Belgian Royal Family and particularly the children who were so good at what they had to do. One thing I noticed most particularly was Queen Fabiola's coffin, placed on the ground at the high alter, and the rain drops that still covered it during the ceremony.
Thanks for all the pictures and links etc.
It was very moving to see Empress Michiko today at Queen Fabiola's funeral. I was lucky enough to watch the whole event live and I do not recall ever having seen so much modern-day footage of her even though it was only a few minutes for her arrival and departure.
I noticed that she was being helped a lot by a very nice lady in uniform who seemed to have been allocated to look after her well!
My respect and admiration for the Empress has always been there, but somehow it seems to have been elevated even more today!

Last edited:
The funeral may have lacked in protocol and ceremony, but the mass was actually one of the best services I've seen in royal funerals. The readings from the Bible were very well chosen, I enjoyed the music and the cardinal's sermon, and there was genuine emotion from the family and the congregation.

The Salve Rociera made a lump in my throat. The very thickest lump in my throat was during the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands. The choral Tebye Poyem (Let Us Sing To Thee) from the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostomos by Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873-1943) was sung a-capella by a choir, without any music: the eerie voices and the acoustic made that drama engulfed the church. The world-famous cellist and conductor Mstislav Rostropovich and his wife, the equally world-famous soprano Galina Vishnevskaya, were attending Prince Claus' funeral as well, the television showed them moved to tears by hearing this choral from their so beloved Mother Russia. For so far that was my "Number One". The Salve Rociera is a firm Number Two for me, also because of my deep love for Spain, especually for Huelva.

:flowers:

Last edited:
There's maybe one thing I'd like to point out of this beautiful ceremony: the family is close, no matter what the rumours say. I was really touched by how princess Astrid hugged Gabriel from behind and gave him a tissue. Or the looks and the smiles between the kids. It is beautiful to see :flowers:

I was extremely disappointed that no member of the British Royal family was in attendance today. If Royals from most of the other Royal families of Europe ( and indeed further afield) managed to rearrange their busy schedules, I see no reason why not a single member of the Windsor family could make a similar adjustment. Belguim is a close neighbour and a good friend of the UK - I find it both disrespectful and dare I say a touch arrogant. As a British citizen, this is one occasion when I am not proud of my Royal family.

Sorry - just posted this and then saw there is a separate thread about this subject

Last edited:
Can someone kindly provide a rough translation of the song sung in Spanish at the end of the Mass? Also why did her niece participate? Is that customary or does she belong to that chorale group? It was beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Can someone kindly provide a rough translation of the song sung in Spanish at the end of the Mass? Also why did her niece participate? Is that customary or does she belong to that chorale group? It was beautiful.

I think her niece participated because it came out of her heart, muy española and muy Fabiola. She can not have belonged to the choral group because it is from Vilvoorde, near Brussels. The Queen's niece singing was the Marchioness of Ahumada, Doña Blanca Escrivá de Romaní y Mora. She is the daughter of Don Alfonso Escrivá de Romaní y Patiño, Conde de Sástago, Grande de España and of Doña María de las Nieves de Mora y Aragón (sister of Queen Fabiola).

The translation is roughly:

Hail Mary
Señora of Rocio
Moon, Sun, North and Guide
and heavenly shepherdess.

Hail Mary
the whole town loves you
and repeating in contention:
no any other is like you.

Olé, olé, olé ...
I want to return to Rocío
sing to the Virgin with faith
to sing
olé, olé, olé ...

Hail Mary
source of sweetness,
at your feet day and night
We'll come to pray.

Hail Mary
a rose of beauty
Thou art my mother
of virginal purity.

Olé, olé, olé ...
to sing
olé, olé, olé ...

Olé, olé, olé ...
to sing
olé, olé, olé ...

Last edited:
You are right , it was I thought this morning during the funerals too.

I think her niece participated because it came out of her heart, muy española and muy Fabiola. She can not have belonged to the choral group because it is from Vilvoorde, near Brussels. The Queen's niece was the Marchioness of Ahumada, Doña Blanca Escrivá de Romaní y Mora.

The translation is roughly:

Hail Mary
Señora of Rocio
Moon, Sun, North and Guide
and heavenly shepherdess.

Hail Mary
the whole town loves you
and repeating in contention:
no any other is like you.

Olé, olé, olé ...
to sing
olé, olé, olé ...

Hail Mary
source of sweetness,
at your feet day and night
We'll come to pray.

Hail Mary
a rose of beauty
Thou art my mother
of virginal purity.

Olé, olé, olé ...
to sing
olé, olé, olé ...

Olé, olé, olé ...
to sing
olé, olé, olé ...

Thank you.

Such a beautiful and heart-wrenching funeral, very fit for a Queen, and I admittedly cried several times throughout the service. Goodnight, Your Majesty, I hope you are reunited with your Baudouin now.

Agree. It was somber, elegant, personal and astonishing beautiful. With all the "protocol" at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother I did not shed a tear while watching her service. It was impressive enough, but I simply was not moved. It was completely different with Fabiola today. The people in that congregation were there not only out of respect but out of profound love for this woman. I dare not watch the clip of the Spanish choir closing out the Mass because again, I don't want to cry again.:sad:

I don't think Fabiola would have wanted an abundance of protocol and ceremony; that is simply not who she was. The sendoff given to her today could not have been more appropriate.

As for the sparse crowds lining the route...am I the only one who noticed the fierce rainstorm? It was straight out of Shakepeare with all that wind and rain! I am a big fan of her late Majesty but there is no way I would have braved that kind of weather. I am impressed at the people who did stand out there.

Last edited:
maria-oliva...it all sounds overwhelmingly beautiful and moving. I certainly hope Cardinal Danneels was not injured or has not fallen ill.

Your description of the arrival of the frail, elegant Empress of Japan sent chills up my spine.

Thank you for a wonderfully detailed synopsis.

It did the same for me too. Not sure who I am more surprised over attending, Grand Duke Jean, King Juan Carlos or the Empress. The health of all three is not at all good, so for them to attend shows just how much love and respect Queen Fabiola was held in by so many around the World. Thank you maria olivia for sharing your experience w/us.

I did not see the Funeral, but thank you to all who have shared links and pictures of today. It sounds like it was the perfect kind of Farewell for the type of person Her Late Majesty was.

The pictures of the King & Queen & their Children was heartbreaking. Especially Prince Gabriel. :(

May she and her beloved King be up there dancing together again.

GodSpeed to a lovely Lady.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
There's maybe one thing I'd like to point out of this beautiful ceremony: the family is close, no matter what the rumours say. I was really touched by how princess Astrid hugged Gabriel from behind and gave him a tissue. Or the looks and the smiles between the kids. It is beautiful to see :flowers:

Astrid was also talking to Gabriel and his siblings when the family arrived to the Royal Palace to collect the coffin.

And I loved the kids going to greet GD Jean at the moment of the peace, he looked so happy to be surrounded by the little ones :wub:

Last edited:
Tiggersk8,

I completely agree. I was struck with how frail the Empress Michiko, King Juan Carlos, and Grand Duke Jean all are. As painful as it is to say this I always thought Fabiola would outlive her brother-in-law Jean. And to see the former Grand Duke with his face in his hands weeping was heart rending. Maybe he was remembering his own beloved Josephine-Charlotte. She and Fabiola were as close as sisters.

Blue and leidi-or any of our other Benelux posters...do you think there will be a dvd of this Mass? It was so lovely and moving. I would love to own a copy.

Were Princesses Lea and Esmeralda sitting with the Philippe, Mathilde and other de Belges or somewhere else in the church?

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2664438.html

Prince Laurent's photo is perplexing.

From what I read earlier he was encouraging, then congratulating, his daughter for a job well done on her reading.

Well ... then this photo was unfortunate.
I agree, that particular photo did look wierd, but when you hear and see that the entire family were grief stricken, Philippe and Laurent both looked like they were desperate to keep control.

Then think of Laurant the father whose little girl is stepping up to speak or pray, I couldn't tell which because I don't speak the language, but Laurent's face says it all. He is encouraging his daughter and gives her the thumbs up when she finishes and, when she comes back to her seat, he kisses the back of her hand. How hard to be both distraught and justifiably proud.

Strangely enough, the dreaded Mail showed the photos and explained!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/24006DBB00000578-2871364-image-a-266_1418397921823.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/23FFFD6200000578-2871364-image-a-195_1418388899906.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/23FFFC0800000578-2871364-image-a-197_1418388920133.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/12/23FFFE3900000578-2871364-image-a-190_1418388885638.jpg

I agree, that particular photo did look wierd, but when you hear and see that the entire family were grief stricken, Philippe and Laurent both looked like they were desperate to keep control.

Then think of Laurant the father whose little girl is stepping up to speak or pray, I couldn't tell which because I don't speak the language, but Laurent's face says it all. He is encouraging his daughter and gives her the thumbs up when she finishes and, when she comes back to her seat, he kisses the back of her hand. How hard to be both distraught and justifiably proud.

Strangely enough, the dreaded Mail showed the photos and explained

And the Queen smiled proudly and extended her hands towards them as her children came to be seated as any parent would do. Come on, anyone who have children would've done likewise.
I admire those kids for being able to do what they did at that big of an event. Especially the young prince who had what seemed to be a massive breakdown not so long before.

I've gotten my Baudouin/Fabiola web blog updated with some of the songs, and service clips.

But I wanted to inquire with the TRF folks for help with translating THIS clip at the Laeken church where two of her staff members spoke.

I'm dying to know the anecdotes they told of their personal dealings with Fabiola. BIG THANK YOUs to anyone who can help.

:flowers:

Could anyone re-post the link to the clips where Elisabeth and Gabriel said the prayer? I tried to find but couldn't. Many thanks.

Were Princesses Lea and Esmeralda sitting with the Philippe, Mathilde and other de Belges or somewhere else in the church?

Yes. I saw photos of both princesses on the DM website. They were seated in about the 3rd or 4th row behind Mathilde and Philippe.

Princess Lea wore a short veil that half covered her face. She appeared to be weeping. She is a striking woman.

Laura...I've visited your site...wonderful job!!

Last edited:
The Roman Catholic charismatic movement was born in Spain in the 1950's and it affected not only the Roman church, but also the Episcopal Church - especially in Texas, where I'm from. We share a program (conducted separately by each faith, but the actual program is the same) called Cursillos de Cristiandad (just Cursillo for short). This reminds me so much of Cursillo music.

It's beautiful and it was, for me, the highlight of Fabiola's service, followed by Will Tura's Hope Springs Eternal. I was balling through both of them.

Edit to add:

Laura...I've visited your site...wonderful job!!

Thank you so much Moonie! It's a labor of love. I have been enriched by just reading and learning about their lives and how they handled strife and disappointment. I just hope somebody is helped by my effort. :flowers:

Last edited:
Well thanks to that lovely clip I see and hear that Louise prayed in English, unfortunately my laptop kept freezing so I didn't hear what she said. What a lovely touch in what was in what was a very emotional and essentially personal funeral.

It brings to mind the words from Psalm 30:5 "weeping may endure for the night, but joy cometh in the morning".

Well thanks to that lovely clip I see and hear that Louise prayed in English, unfortunately my laptop kept freezing so I didn't hear what she said. What a lovely touch in what was in what was a very emotional and essentially personal funeral.

It brings to mind the words from Psalm 30:5 "weeping may endure for the night, but joy cometh in the morning".

It does indeed. We lost a close Family Friend last night, and as sad as we are he's gone, at the same time to say his last three years were hellish is a major understatement. That quote from Psalm 30:5 is very fitting for how we've been feeling today, sad, but happy his pain & suffering is over & done w/as well too.

I keep thinking of how hard Christmas will be this year for all of them. They truly were so close w/Her Late Majesty and the first major Holidays w/out someone you were really close to in your Family are beyond the hardest. W/her passing being so very close to Christmas will make it even harder for them & my heart just goes out to them. :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom