Funeral of King Baudouin I: August 7, 1993

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George II

Commoner
Does anyone has pictures of the funeral of King Baudouin I, also known as King Boudewijn I of Belgium in 1993??

OT, King Baudouin's name is the only name I get confused about how to spell.

Does anybody know of a "mnenomic" to simplify the remembering of the spelling?

As an example, the way to remember the first 5 numbers of the mathematical constant "pie " (for areas of circles, etc) is, "Yes, I have a method".

"Yes" is three letters long, so the first number is 3. Accordingly the first 5 numbers are 3.1416 .

Its quite an easy name, just Baudouin, the French version. The Dutch version is Boudewijn and I think the English version is Baldwin. In Spanis it is Baldovino.

I think Baldwin or Boudewijn is an easier name to remember...

:( July 31, 1993. early morning: Death of King Baudouin - people flowering the gates of the royal palais in Brussels.

:( During several days, people waiting to pay their last respects to our late King Baudouin.

:( July 31, 1993 late evening: King Baudouin arrives at home.

:( King Baudouin lying in state.

:( Last Respects of the Royal Family to King Baudouin.

:( Queen Fabiola in white dress follows her husband Kng Baudouin to the Cathedral.

Attachments

• Begrafenis_boudewijn_2_dag_van_zijn_dood.jpg
    Begrafenis_boudewijn_2_dag_van_zijn_dood.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 5,186
  • laatste_groet___wachtende_rijen.jpg
    laatste_groet___wachtende_rijen.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 5,273
  • thuiskpmst_boudewijn.jpg
    thuiskpmst_boudewijn.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 5,278
  • openbaring_boudewijn.jpg
    openbaring_boudewijn.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,989
  • Begrafenis_boudewijn_1beste4.jpg
    Begrafenis_boudewijn_1beste4.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 6,926
  • rouwende_fabiola.jpg
    rouwende_fabiola.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 7,091
Last edited by a moderator:
bnsm907  Posted: Nov 25th, 2003 - 7:25 am
Last Respects of the Royal Family to King Baudouin.

Looks like Grand Duke Jean (of Luxembourg) is included in the lineup, but naturally his wife was Baudouin's sister.

who attend funeral? if nobody know about him?

Sara Boyce

Nobody knows about him?? I think Baudouin and his wife Fabiola were one of the most popular king and queens of Europe...

He died om July 31, 1993 in his summer residence in the south of Spain.
His funeral was great, and even the British Queen Elizabeth II came to this funeral (and she often leaves her country for a funeral or wedding).

Many royals attended the State funeral of HM King Baudoin I of the Belgian:

Austria - TIRH Archduke Otto and Achduchess Regina; Archduke Robert and Archduchess Margarita (Princess of Italy); Archduke Lorenz and Archduchess Astrid (Prince and Princess of Belgium, Archduchess Astrid were King Baudoin I niece) and Archduke Amadeus and Archduchess Marie Laura; Archduke Karl Ludwig and Archduchess Yolanda (Princess of Ligne); Archduke Karl Christian and Archduchess Marie Astrid (Princess of Luxembourg, King Baudouin I niece); Archduke Rodolf and Archduchess Anne Gabrielle (Princess of Wrede)
Bavaria - TRH Prince Albrecht, Prince Franz, Prince Max Emanuel and Princess Elisabeth (King Baudoin I relatives)
Bonaparte - HIH Prince Louis (King Baudoin I relative)
Bourbon and Two-Sicilies - HRH Prince Carlos
Bourbon-Parma - THR Prince Carlos Hugo, Prince Carlos and Princess Maria Carolina (King Baudouin I relatives)
Brunei - HRH Prince Sahib ul-Himmah
Bulgaria - HM King Simeon II
Denmark - HM Queen Margrethe II and Prince Hendrik
France - HRH Prince Henri and HIRH Princess Isabelle (King Baudoin I relatives)
Great-Britain - HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Philipp
Greece - TM King Konstantinos II and Queen Anne-Marie
Iran - HIM Empress Farah Diba
Italy - HM Queen Maria-José (King Baudoin I aunt), TRH Crown Prince Vittorio Emanuel and Crown Princess Marina; Prince Emanuel-Filiberto, Princesses Maria Pia, Maria Gabriella and Maria Beatrice and Rafael Reyna; Prince Amedeo and Princess Silvia
Japan - TIM Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko
Jordan - TRH Crown Prince Hassan and Crown Princess Sarvath
Liechtenstein - TSH Prince Hans-Adam II and Princess Marie; TSH Prince Nikolaus and HRH Princess Margarete (King Baudoin I niece) and HSH Princess Nora
Luxembourg - TRH Grand-duke Jean I and Grand-duchess Joséphine-Charlotte (King Baudoin I sister); HRH Hereditary Grand-duke Henri and Hereditary Grand-duchess Maria Teresa; HRH, Princes Guillaume and Jean and Hélène, Count and Countess of Nassau
Morocco - HRH Crown Prince Mohammed
Monaco - TSH Prince Rainier III and Hereditary Prince Albert
Nepal - TRH Crown Prince Dipendra and Prince Gyanendra
The Netherlands - HM Queen Beatrix I and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander
Norway - TM King Harald V (King Baudoin I first cousin) and Queen Sonja
Portugal - HRH Infante Duarte (King Baudoin I relative)
Romania - TM King Mihaï I and Queen Anna (King Baudoin I relatives)
Russia - HIH Grand-duchess Marija
Spain - TM King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia
Sweden - TM King Carl XVI Gustaf (King Baudoin I relative) and Queen Silvia
Thailand - TRH Crown Prince Vajralongkorn and Princess Maha Sirindhorn
Württemberg - HRH Duke Karl
Yugoslavia - HRH Prince Dimitri (King Baudouin I cousin)

Of course, the members of the Belgian Royal Family attended the wedding, except HRH Princess Liliane, Princess de Réthy, second wife of HM King Léopold III of the Belgians (King Baudoin I father)

Some photos:
1.Elizabeth II of Great Britain
2.Margrethe of Denmark
3.Sonja and Harald of Norway
4.Silvia,Carl Gustav of Sweden and Michiko of Japan.
5.Beatrix of The Netherlands.

Attachments

• 0000288377-099.jpg
    0000288377-099.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,134
  • 0000288377-087.jpg
    0000288377-087.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,502
  • 0000288377-023.jpg
    0000288377-023.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 0000288377-022.jpg
    0000288377-022.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,758
  • 0000288377-024.jpg
    0000288377-024.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,279
Some more photos of the funeral:

Attachments

• Bau1.jpg
    Bau1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,734
  • Bau6.jpg
    Bau6.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5,827
  • Bau5.jpg
    Bau5.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3,100
  • Bau4.jpg
    Bau4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,786
  • Bau3.jpg
    Bau3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Bau2.jpg
    Bau2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,314
And more photos:

Attachments

• Bau12.jpg
    Bau12.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,871
  • Bau11.jpg
    Bau11.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,558
  • Bau9.jpg
    Bau9.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Bau8.jpg
    Bau8.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3,587
  • Bau7.jpg
    Bau7.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,035
  • Bau10.jpg
    Bau10.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,473
The Royal guests:
1.Carl Gustav of Sweden,Elizabeth II and philip of Great Britain,Sofia of Spain.
2.Elizabeth II and Philip of Great Britain.
3.Margrethe and Henrik of Denmark.
4.Grand Duke Jean and his wife.
5.Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko.

Attachments

• RoyalsBau.jpg
    RoyalsBau.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5,628
  • ElizaPhilBau.jpg
    ElizaPhilBau.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,735
  • MagBau.jpg
    MagBau.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Bau2.jpg
    Bau2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,535
  • Bau1.jpg
    Bau1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,273
And more photos:

Attachments

• 0000288378-014.jpg
    0000288378-014.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,777
  • Bau2.jpg
    Bau2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 0000288382-009.jpg
    0000288382-009.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,135
  • 0000288382-010.jpg
    0000288382-010.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 0000288316-013.jpg
    0000288316-013.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,276
  • 0000288377-085.jpg
    0000288377-085.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 5,856
And more of Queen Fabiola:

Attachments

• Bau1.jpg
    Bau1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,770
  • AlFab1.jpg
    AlFab1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Fab2.jpg
    Fab2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,471
  • Fab1.jpg
    Fab1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,198
Does anyone have the wonderful photo of the "Our Father", when Queen Fabiola seizes the hands of her neighbours?

Of course, the members of the Belgian Royal Family attended the wedding, except HRH Princess Liliane, Princess de Réthy, second wife of HM King Léopold III of the Belgians (King Baudoin I father)
Why did she not attend? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is known, as can be seen in the photographs, that Philip, Duke of Edinburgh wore the wrong order. I believe he wore an African order. The Order of the Leopard? instead of the Order of Leopold I. I was wondering at the time if this was commented upon in the press? And, did it cause any friction personally or diplomatically between the British Royal Family and Belgium or the Belgian Royals? It's just something that one doesn't expect to happen. You would expect that a mistake like that would not be made, especially seeing as how it was the spouse of the British monarch, and it was the only funeral she attended outside of Britain.

ulik said:
was there any particular reason, why Queen Fabiola wore white?

For Christians, the white is the symbol of resurrection. It happens sometimes that people wear white instead of black for funerals.

Can someone explain why some of the women at the funeral wore gray instead of black and why others still wore black. Dis the Royal House want women to dress in gray but everyone did not?

No, it was each individual's personal choice.

bct88 said:
It is known, as can be seen in the photographs, that Philip, Duke of Edinburgh wore the wrong order. I believe he wore an African order. The Order of the Leopard? instead of the Order of Leopold I. I was wondering at the time if this was commented upon in the press? And, did it cause any friction personally or diplomatically between the British Royal Family and Belgium or the Belgian Royals? It's just something that one doesn't expect to happen. You would expect that a mistake like that would not be made, especially seeing as how it was the spouse of the British monarch, and it was the only funeral she attended outside of Britain.

Indeed HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh wore the Order of the Leopard (military), of the republic of Zaire. It's believed that the mix-up was simply caused by someone having mistaken the hand-writing of 'Leopard' with 'Leopold'. It was an honest mistake, but I believe the valet got a sharp talking to, or at least certainly recieved typed instructions thereafter.

I doubt that such a mistake would have drawn much attention from the other guests, many of who were wearing the Order of Leopold I. It was a rather unexpected death, and most would have been more concerned with HM King Albert and HM Queen Fabiola.

Wonder if Albert II Will have a Funeral as Large as this just wondering (I Wish him many years)

No, it was each individual's personal choice.
That's not true, I'm afraid.
It was Fabiola's special request that nobody should wear black or hats. Unfortunately, some did not comply. Probably because she made them all walk behind the coffin towards the church:rolleyes:

Queen Fabiola wore white clothes because she wanted to give a message of hope. She did not want to mourn his death, but celebrate his life.

Boudewijn was, at that time, the longest reigning monarch in Europe, so many people knew him, and many important people came to his funeral to pay their respects.

:belgiumstandard:
16 Years ago today,HM died in Motril at the "Villa Astrida".

It was incomprehensible that he had died that sunday(july 31st was a sunday in 1993),and it absolutely was unbelieveble and moving to watch the genuine mourning for this deeply loved and respected Monarch,the long lines waiting to pay their respect,day and night.

The Monarchs of this world came to pay their respects at the funeral,all of them,even Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko,and,a rare occasion,HM Queen Elisabeth II was present at the St.Michiel and St.Gudele Cathedral in Brussels that saturday of the funeral.

Gee, I can't believe it was so long ago; I seem to remember the wearing of white being requested by the late King (something about not mourning his death). Also, requests like these are not necessarily heeded mostly due to so many different cultures, traditions and customs coming together - you cannot expect the Empress of Japan and the Queen of England not to wear a hat, nor will a Muslim lady attend such a function without a headcovering of sorts.

Also, they are not forced to follow the coffin to church - it is tradition throughout much of Europe; the same happened in Oslo for the funeral of King Olav V in what I believe were sub-zero temperatures!

Nobody knows about him?? I think Baudouin and his wife Fabiola were one of the most popular king and queens of Europe...

He died om July 31, 1993 in his summer residence in the south of Spain.
His funeral was great, and even the British Queen Elizabeth II came to this funeral (and she often leaves her country for a funeral or wedding).

King Baudouin was (correct me if I'm wrong):

• The brother of Grand Duchess Joséphine Charlotte of Luxembourg.
  • First cousin to King Harald V or Norway.
  • Second cousin to Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.
  • Second cousin once removed to King Carl XVi Gustaf of Sweden and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (Note: not sure)
  • Third cousin to Queen Elizabeth II of the UK and Queen Sofia of Spain.

That also explains why some many royals were in attendance.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty normal that all European monarchs -save the British one- show up at the funeral of another reigning monarch. The only surprise is the attendance of the British queen, who made an exception this time as it was summer holiday and it looked bad if she didn't go.

It was a great honour that the emperor and empress of Japan attended the funeral; which was partly due to the friendship of the two couples.

I still remember the utter shock that the death of the king was. There was an enormous and dignified grief in Belgium, without the hysterics. Hundreds of thousands tried to pay their last respects and the palace had to stay open till the early hours of the night. People were standing in line for hours & hours in the hot August weather, many fainted due to the heat. I also remember the speculation of the succession, which did not seem clear in the press as it was expected that Philippe would succeed his uncle and that Albert would step aside. A scenario that would have been more likely if the king had lived longer.

Notable absentee was the princess de Rethy.

Last edited:
^^^^^
didn't the fact that K.Boudewijn died as a reigning monarch have something to do with QEII attending too?

Back
Top Bottom