Funeral of King Baudouin I: August 7, 1993

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even for Queen Elizabeth not to attend the funeral of a European reigning monarch is because holidays are mildly unacceptable.

^^^^^
didn't the fact that K.Boudewijn died as a reigning monarch have something to do with QEII attending too?

She wasn't at King Olav V's funeral two years before. And as far as I know, she didn't attend King Haakon VII's, King Paul's, King Frederick IX's, and King Gustav VI Adolf's either. All of them died as reigning monarchs and all of them had ascended to the throne before she did.

I didn't realize that the Princess de Rethy did not attend her stepsons funeral!

Indeed HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh wore the Order of the Leopard (military), of the republic of Zaire. It's believed that the mix-up was simply caused by someone having mistaken the hand-writing of 'Leopard' with 'Leopold'. It was an honest mistake, but I believe the valet got a sharp talking to, or at least certainly recieved typed instructions thereafter.

I doubt that such a mistake would have drawn much attention from the other guests, many of who were wearing the Order of Leopold I. It was a rather unexpected death, and most would have been more concerned with HM King Albert and HM Queen Fabiola.

Philip had worn the Order of Leopold before and had seen Baudouin wearing it as well. I'd assume he should be at least vaguely familiar with the Leopold sash and its somewhat unique color, which is not that common. Shouldn't he have noticed then that there was a mistake ? Or did he realize he was wearing the wrong order only when he got into the cathedral and saw all other royal guests around him and the Belgian royal familiy wearing a different sash ? I wonder how Queen Elizabeth II may have reacted and if Philip ever commented on his gaffe. BTW, I'm pretty sure all royal guests noticed it.

This buttler did a mistake. At the Airport belgian militairs saw il but their level was to low to do a Remark to a Royal Highness.
The Order of Leopold reveived no excuses from the Duke's Office !

Funeral Of King Baudouin I

She wasn't at King Olav V's funeral two years before. And as far as I know, she didn't attend King Haakon VII's, King Paul's, King Frederick IX's, and King Gustav VI Adolf's either. All of them died as reigning monarchs and all of them had ascended to the throne before she did.

IIRC the Queen Mother was to attend the funeral of Olav V because of the close relationship between the older generations of the BRF & NRF (Olav was born in the UK and all) but she had to cancel because of the security situation during the Gulf war.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom