The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Old 08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
No, it was each individual's personal choice.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by bct88
It is known, as can be seen in the photographs, that Philip, Duke of Edinburgh wore the wrong order. I believe he wore an African order. The Order of the Leopard? instead of the Order of Leopold I. I was wondering at the time if this was commented upon in the press? And, did it cause any friction personally or diplomatically between the British Royal Family and Belgium or the Belgian Royals? It's just something that one doesn't expect to happen. You would expect that a mistake like that would not be made, especially seeing as how it was the spouse of the British monarch, and it was the only funeral she attended outside of Britain.
Indeed HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh wore the Order of the Leopard (military), of the republic of Zaire. It's believed that the mix-up was simply caused by someone having mistaken the hand-writing of 'Leopard' with 'Leopold'. It was an honest mistake, but I believe the valet got a sharp talking to, or at least certainly recieved typed instructions thereafter.

I doubt that such a mistake would have drawn much attention from the other guests, many of who were wearing the Order of Leopold I. It was a rather unexpected death, and most would have been more concerned with HM King Albert and HM Queen Fabiola.

Thy choicest gifts in store, on her be pleased to pour, long may she reign. May she defend our laws, and ever give us cause, to sing with heart and voice, GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Wonder if Albert II Will have a Funeral as Large as this just wondering (I Wish him many years)
Old 08-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
No, it was each individual's personal choice.
That's not true, I'm afraid.
It was Fabiola's special request that nobody should wear black or hats. Unfortunately, some did not comply. Probably because she made them all walk behind the coffin towards the church

Queen Fabiola wore white clothes because she wanted to give a message of hope. She did not want to mourn his death, but celebrate his life.

Boudewijn was, at that time, the longest reigning monarch in Europe, so many people knew him, and many important people came to his funeral to pay their respects.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 PM

16 Years ago today,HM died in Motril at the "Villa Astrida".

It was incomprehensible that he had died that sunday(july 31st was a sunday in 1993),and it absolutely was unbelieveble and moving to watch the genuine mourning for this deeply loved and respected Monarch,the long lines waiting to pay their respect,day and night.

The Monarchs of this world came to pay their respects at the funeral,all of them,even Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko,and,a rare occasion,HM Queen Elisabeth II was present at the St.Michiel and St.Gudele Cathedral in Brussels that saturday of the funeral.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Gee, I can't believe it was so long ago; I seem to remember the wearing of white being requested by the late King (something about not mourning his death). Also, requests like these are not necessarily heeded mostly due to so many different cultures, traditions and customs coming together - you cannot expect the Empress of Japan and the Queen of England not to wear a hat, nor will a Muslim lady attend such a function without a headcovering of sorts.

Also, they are not forced to follow the coffin to church - it is tradition throughout much of Europe; the same happened in Oslo for the funeral of King Olav V in what I believe were sub-zero temperatures!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
A clip from youtube, showing some guests:

complete funeral:

TRF Rules and FAQ
Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Serene Highness
Originally Posted by George II View Post
Nobody knows about him?? I think Baudouin and his wife Fabiola were one of the most popular king and queens of Europe...

He died om July 31, 1993 in his summer residence in the south of Spain.
His funeral was great, and even the British Queen Elizabeth II came to this funeral (and she often leaves her country for a funeral or wedding).

King Baudouin was (correct me if I'm wrong):

• The brother of Grand Duchess Joséphine Charlotte of Luxembourg.
  • First cousin to King Harald V or Norway.
  • Second cousin to Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.
  • Second cousin once removed to King Carl XVi Gustaf of Sweden and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (Note: not sure)
  • Third cousin to Queen Elizabeth II of the UK and Queen Sofia of Spain.

That also explains why some many royals were in attendance.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:27 AM
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
I think it is pretty normal that all European monarchs -save the British one- show up at the funeral of another reigning monarch. The only surprise is the attendance of the British queen, who made an exception this time as it was summer holiday and it looked bad if she didn't go.

It was a great honour that the emperor and empress of Japan attended the funeral; which was partly due to the friendship of the two couples.

I still remember the utter shock that the death of the king was. There was an enormous and dignified grief in Belgium, without the hysterics. Hundreds of thousands tried to pay their last respects and the palace had to stay open till the early hours of the night. People were standing in line for hours & hours in the hot August weather, many fainted due to the heat. I also remember the speculation of the succession, which did not seem clear in the press as it was expected that Philippe would succeed his uncle and that Albert would step aside. A scenario that would have been more likely if the king had lived longer.

Notable absentee was the princess de Rethy.
TRF Rules and FAQ
Old 10-12-2015, 02:37 AM
Royal Highness
didn't the fact that K.Boudewijn died as a reigning monarch have something to do with QEII attending too?
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Old 10-12-2015, 02:58 AM
Heir Presumptive
Even for Queen Elizabeth not to attend the funeral of a European reigning monarch is because holidays are mildly unacceptable.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
didn't the fact that K.Boudewijn died as a reigning monarch have something to do with QEII attending too?
She wasn't at King Olav V's funeral two years before. And as far as I know, she didn't attend King Haakon VII's, King Paul's, King Frederick IX's, and King Gustav VI Adolf's either. All of them died as reigning monarchs and all of them had ascended to the throne before she did.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent
It was a great Honor to us !
Old 10-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
I didn't realize that the Princess de Rethy did not attend her stepsons funeral!

14th of November 1522,Death of Anne de France,Régent de France,Duchesse de Bourbon, Comtesse de La Marche, Clermont-en-Beauvaisis, l'Isle-Jourdain,Forez,Vicomtesse de Thouars & Dame de Beaujeu

baudouin, fabiola de mora y aragon, funeral, king baudouin, queen fabiola