Fabiola turns 80!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Queen Fabiola very much. I'm glad she still has a big family around to help her celebrate, even though she and her husband were unable to have children.

As a side note, I've heard that Laurent was a big reason why the late King had the succession laws changed to give females full inheritance rights, to keep him as far away from the throne as possible...it seems that, at one time, there was a fear that Philippe might never get married and have children, and under the old laws the throne would have bypassed Astrid (who was was already married with children) and gone to Laurent instead. If this is true, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I like Queen Fabiola very much. I'm glad she still has a big family around to help her celebrate, even though she and her husband were unable to have children.

As a side note, I've heard that Laurent was a big reason why the late King had the succession laws changed to give females full inheritance rights, to keep him as far away from the throne as possible...it seems that, at one time, there was a fear that Philippe might never get married and have children, and under the old laws the throne would have bypassed Astrid (who was was already married with children) and gone to Laurent instead. If this is true, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Paul Belien makes the same assertion in his book "A Throne For Brussels"...that the main reason the succession laws were changed by Baudouin was to ensure that Laurent would never ascend the Throne.

There are indeed parallels between the two relationships..Baudouin was withdrawn and unfulfilled as Philippe was, then they both blossomed under the love and devotion of wives who seem to have been sent to them from God.

Both married at an age that was considered "late" for a Crown Prince...Baudouin was thirty and Philippe in his middle thirties.

Another thing in common is their strong living Christian faith.

Paul Belien makes the same assertion in his book "A Throne For Brussels"...that the main reason the succession laws were changed by Baudouin was to ensure that Laurent would never ascend the Throne.

If that was the real reason, I think Baudouin was right. Laurent is an anti-system person. He doesn't seem involved in Royalty's affairs.

[FONT=verdana, arial]Wow, the beauty of Princess Luisa Maria is really blossoming... And Princess Laetitia Maria is adorable as always... Why was Princess Elisabeth absent? All the other female cousins were present even incl the new-born Princess Eleonore...:rolleyes:[/FONT]

According to Het Laatste Nieuws VTM Programme 'Royalty' will broadcast a special portrait on Queen Fabiola this saturday at 17.55. For the programme the camerateam even went to Madrid. Friends of the Queen will speak but Fabiola herself will also be replying to some questions.

I believe the programme is usually available online, so I am looking forward to that!

Oh how I wish I could see this special programme...would someone be kind enough to watch it and give those of us who live in America but love and admire HM a review? Thanks in advance!!

Princess Elizabeth was on a school trip, according to "dag allemaal" (flemish tabloid). (didn't say where to, though) Princes Joachim and Amedeo had to study for their exams. so that explains why they weren't there.

it was good thinking on baudouin's part....god forbid if philipe hadn't married and the succession law hadn't changed, laurent could have been king! that would have definitely signaled the end of the monarchy......another question... i don't think laurent and baudouin were close like their uncle was with philipe and astrid....i also read somewhere that baudouin was very fond of amedeo when he was alive and was keen to see him on the throne if phillipe never married....can anyoone confirm that?

It wouldn't surpise me if that was true, but Amadeo was only about seven when his great uncle Baudouin died.

I admire Queen Fabiola very much. She and King Baudouin were always an example of dignity and royalty. May she long live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom