Engagement & wedding of Pss. Alix de Ligne and Guillaume de Dampierre - Feb&June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I've asked you this before but can't remember the answer, would this marriage to a member of the French high nobility be considered an equal marriage according to the rules of the Imperial house and if so what's the difference between this and other marriages made by people in the Imperial Line of succession to members of the Brazilian nobility that has resulted in loss of inheritance rights?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not able to open Facebook. Can anyone put the links of Alix and Guillaume images?

What is the work of Guillaume de Dampierre? what are you doing? What study?

I think I've asked you this before but can't remember the answer, would this marriage to a member of the French high nobility be considered an equal marriage according to the rules of the Imperial house and if so what's the difference between this and other marriages made by people in the Imperial Line of succession to members of the Brazilian nobility that has resulted in loss of inheritance rights?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm pretty sure Princess Alix will keep her rights. The difference between her and some of her uncles and aunt it that, although they married ladies and a gentleman from old and aristocratic Brazilian families, the native nobility here is not hereditary, and the Imperial Family always feared that by marrying commoners, they'd end up losing their "royalness", so people would stop seeing them as the Imperial Family and any of a restoration - however unlikely it may be - would be lost forever.

I'm not able to open Facebook. Can anyone put the links of Alix and Guillaume images?

What is the work of Guillaume de Dampierre? what are you doing? What study?

Here:

https://scontent-gru2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a8b6a5141696cbaf6837cc6b93087ae9&oe=572F8D7A

Count Guillaume works for McKinsey & Company and Princess Alix for H.Stern, both in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Mods, maybe this conversation should be moved to another thread?

Last edited:
Alix is not Royal Highness , only her mother kept her title she received by birth.
She will be SA la Princesse Alix de Ligne , Comtesse Guillaume de Dampierre.

Princess Alix is SA Prince Michel de Ligne and SAR la Princess Eleonore's daughter.

She is not Prince Antonio and Princess Christine's daughter .
She should had taken the same air-plane as their late Son, her cousin.

The Imperial House of Brazil made the formal announcement on its Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/promonarqu...551259781459/1722384664664783/?type=3&theater

PRINCESS ALIX OF LIGNE ENGAGED

Pró Monarquia - The Imperial House of Brazil is happy to announce the engagement between Princess Alix of Ligne and Count Guillaume of Dampierre.

Princess Alix is the daughter of Michel, 14th Prince of Ligne, and D. Eleonora de Orleans e Bragança, Princess of Brazil, sister of H.I. & R.H. The Prince D. Luiz de Orleans e Bragança, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil. Her Highness is the ninth in the Line of Succession to the Brazilian Throne.

Count Guillaume is the son of Count Audoin of Dampierre and his wife, Madame the Countess, née Roseline de Castejá, of the Counts of Castejá. He and his parents come from the French Aristocracy.

In due time, we will bring more information.

Last edited:
I didn't realize she was meant to be on the airplane with her cousin when it crashed. I cant even imagine the pain of losing one family member in the crash. I can only imagine if she died as well.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Alix de Ligne for her engagement to Guillaume de Dampierre!!!!

Messire Guillaume Aymar Emmanuel comte de DAMPIERRE (1985)
son of:
Messire Audouin Marie Michel Pierre Armand comte de DAMPIERRE (1945)
and of
Madame Roselyne Claude Marie Thérèse ALVAR de BIAUDOS de CASTÉJA (1951).

The main residence of the De Dampierre family is the Château de Plassac. See link: www.chateaudeplassac.com The Château de Plassac is in the Cognac region. Guillaume's father, Audouin comte de Dampierre produces his own brands in the Champagne region.

The paternal grandparents of Guillaume are:
Messire Aymar Eric Marie comte de DAMPIERRE (1910)
and
Madame Elyane Marie Jacqueline des comtes GONTAUT-BIRON (1913)

The maternal grandparents of Guillaume were:
Messire Jean-Emmanuel ALVAR de BIAUDOS de CASTÉJA (1916-2012)
and
Madame Marie des marquises de MOUSTIER (1887-1980)

The Dampierre arms are also on the labels of their products, like this. The first blason is in the Dampierre Archives, before the Dampierres were raised to Marquises and Comtes: Généalogie de l'ancienne et noble famille de Messieurs de Dampierre. Inventaire des lettres, pièces et escriptures dont s'ayde et fait production Charles de Dampierre. Rouen, mars 1667. (no copyright):

289AP4dr2.jpg

Note on the groom's paternal grandmother:
The groom's grandmother Elyane de Gountaut-Biron herself is a granddaughter of Georges de Bourbon-Busset, Comte de Lignières. This man was the father of Marie-Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset (pic), was the grandfather of Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma (pic) and is the great-grandfather of the present Duke of Parma, Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme (pic). His castle, Château de Lignières (pic) is still owned by his grandson Prince Sixte-Henri de Bourbon de Parme (pic).

Note on the groom's maternal grandfather:
The groom's grandfather Jean-Emmanuel Alvar de Biaudos de Castéja comes from a cadet branch of the De Biaudos de Castéja dynasty which was created as result of an adoption: Messire Rémy Léon de Biaudos, Marquis de Castéja (1805-1899) (pic) married Hon. Elizabeth Hunloke (1810-1878), daughter of Sir Thomas Hunloke, Baronet and Lady Anne Scarisbrick. Their only child, a son, died as a baby.

The Marquis and Marquise de Castéja decided to adopt a son of the Marquise's halfsister, Hon. Charlotte Hunloke, nicknamed Mercédès Alvarez, who was natural daughter of Lady Anne Scarisbrick from an affair with William Cavendish, the later 6th Duke of Devonshire. That boy, the Marchioness' natural nephew, was first named Emmanuel ALVAR.

After adoption the boy (a Cavendish-Scarisbrick in fact) became registered as Marie-Emmanuel ALVAR DE BIAUDOS DE CASTÉJA. The adopted nephew however of course was not eligible to inherit his adoptive father's title Marquis de Castéja. The current Alvar de Biaudos de Castéjas are his descendants.

Picture of the grave of Elizabeth de Biaudos de Castéja, Marquise de Castéja née Hon. Elizabeth Hunloke

Last edited:
I didn't realize she was meant to be on the airplane with her cousin when it crashed. I cant even imagine the pain of losing one family member in the crash. I can only imagine if she died as well.

They were both in Brazil, spending time with their family, and would travel to Paris together, but there was only one seat left on the plane, so Princess Alix took a later flight.

A member of the family later told me the Princess was terribly shaken by what have happened (and what could have been).

Last edited:
Congratulations to the happy couple!
Does anyone know if Guillaume is related to the late Emmanuelle de Dampierre, first wife of the late Infante Jaime of Spain?

Congratulations to the happy couple!
Does anyone know if Guillaume is related to the late Emmanuelle de Dampierre, first wife of the late Infante Jaime of Spain?

Yes. They share a Dampierre in the 19th C. This one is the family from the Dampierres originating from Picardie, seeing the three black lozenges in a shield of silver. The main branch are Marquises de Dampierre. The Dampierres from Château de Plassac are cadets which are Comtes.

Last edited:
Very distantly. Guillaume great-great-great grandfather and Emannuelle de Dampierre's (Jaime's wife) great-grandfather were brothers.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Emmanuelle de Dampierre to Guillaume de Dampierre in one line, logically Emmanuelle is two generations closer to the shared ancestor than Guillaume.

The line of Guillaume to the shared ancestor also shows that every generation of his line has married into the aristocracy. His marriage to Princess Alix de Ligne is a continuation of that policy. His mother's family Alvar de Biaudos de Castéja on itself has no title but originates from the 6th Duke of Devonshire and Lady Scarisbrick and became adopted by Rémy Léon de Biaudos, Marquis de Castéja (1805-1899). See post #11 in this thread.

The line of Emmanuelle de Dampierre here and there sees alliances which probably caused raised eyebrows, but for an example her great-grandmother Charlotte Tayloe Corbin (1835-1906) was daughter of one of the wealtiest plantation owners in Virginia, so the money will have helped too...

Emmanuelle de DAMPIERRE des vicomtes de Dampierre (1913-2012)
Jaime de BORBÓN, Infante de España, Duque de Segovia (1908-1975)

Le vicomte Roger de DAMPIERRE (1982-1975)
Donna Vittoria RUSPOLI dei principi de Poggio Suasa (1892-1982)

Le vicomte Richard de DAMPIERRE (1857-1906)
Jeanne CARRABY (1870-1922)

Le vicomte Henri de DAMPIERRE (1822-1895)
Charlotte TAYLOE CORBIN (1835-1906)

Aymar de DAMPIERRE, Marquis de Dampierre (1787-1845)
Charlotte d'ABBADIE DE SAINT-GERMAIN des seigneurs de Saint-Germain (1789-1837)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aymar de DAMPIERRE, Marquis de Dampierre (1787-1845)
Charlotte d'ABBADIE DE SAINT-GERMAIN des seigneurs de Saint-Germain (1789-1837)

Élie de DAMPIERRE, Marquis de Dampierre (1813-1896)
Henriette BARTHÉLÉMY des marquises de Barthélémy (1813-1894)

Le comte Éric de DAMPIERRE (1851-1927)
Jeanne BASSET DE CHÂTEAUBOURG des barons de Châteaubourg (1854-1922)

Le comte Guy de DAMPIERRE (1880-1967)
Solange de GOUVION SAINT-CYR des marquises de Saint-Cyr (1886-1963)

Le comte Aymar-Éric de DAMPIERRE (1910-1976)
Elyane de GONTAUT-BIRON des comtes de Biron (1913-1986)

Le comte Audouin de DAMPIERRE (1945)
Roselyne ALVAR DE BIAUDOS DE CASTÉJA (1951)

Le comte Guillaume de DAMPIERRE (1985)
La princesse Alix de LIGNE (1984)

Last edited:
I am waiting the engagement pictures.
I hope the Dowager Alix is still in good health, she did not attend her Brother's 95th Birthday.

Congratulations to the couple! I'm looking forward into their engagement photos (if we will get any). How lovely that they became engaged not long before Valentine's Day.

I am waiting the engagement pictures.
I hope the Dowager Alix is still in good health, she did not attend her Brother's 95th Birthday.

I'm pretty sure the wedding will take place at the Church of St. Pierre de Beloeil, so there's a good chance of the Dowager Princess attending the wedding of her granddaughter, who's also her namesake.

I wonder if it'll be a summer wedding or if they'll wait until next year, in order to have a spring wedding.

Last edited:
Not hard to do, the only European royal wedding this year AFAIK announced at least yet. Different story if a member of one of the major royal houses was getting married this year like if CP married this year instead of last summer.

Great looking couple and happy looking. :flowers:

Is it known if the princess' uncle will allow her to keep her succession rights to the Brazilian IH? A French count Dampierre would be on the same level as a Polish countess Dobržensky de Dobrženic, which would mean that she is out of succession too and only 3 unmarried dynasts are left in her generation.

Princess Pia Maria of Brazil (1913-2000) married a French Count de Nicolaÿ in 1948, and was allowed to keep her rights.

The Dobrzenskys were only Barons until just before the wedding. Princess Isabel, then Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, was the one who asked Emperor Franz Josef to give the Dobrzenskys the title of Counts.

I believe the Nicolaÿs and the Dampierres have a more ancient and prestigious lineage than the Dobrzenskys, and that certainly will be taken into account by Princess Alix's uncle.

Ah, so they strech the rules when it suits them. I suppose that also explains why the baron Carlos von Taxis in listed in the succession. A pity they could not make an exception for Princess Amélia as well, whose husband is from a baronet family.

Dampierre and Nicolay may be a step up from a mere baron, but a marriage with a count(ess) of these families would be morganatic if one sticks to the old rules. Of course Brazil/Portugal never had such rules, which begs the question why the Vassouras branch bothers with them in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation Cris M. I am glad to hear that it will be considered equal so the Vassouras branch doesn't become extinct.

I don't know if it'll be considered equal, I'm just guessing. Anyway, times change, a Countess wasn't accepted in 1908, but a Count was in 1948. Maybe a commoner will be accepted one day. I'm not for or against it, to be honest.

Also, I asked a friend (who knows much more than me about these matters), and Barons Carlos his children, grandchildren and siblings are not regarded as dynasts by Prince Luiz. According to him, Princess Alix is the final name in the succession.

They are on the cover of Point de Vue, so we'll soon get some engagement pictures.

"The Royal wedding of the year."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbWR8vAW4AAWZNA.jpg:large

Thank you for the photo, they seem to be a likeable couple. I'm looking forward to the wedding, it will be interesting to see which reigning houses will attend. I'm not that knowledgable about Princess Alix enough to know, but is she close to any of them?

Thank you for the photo, they seem to be a likeable couple. I'm looking forward to the wedding, it will be interesting to see which reigning houses will attend. I'm not that knowledgable about Princess Alix enough to know, but is she close to any of them?

Belgium, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, I guess. They're all related and the young family members are good friends.

Lots of aristocrats from all over Europe as well. And the Imperial Family or Brazil, of course.

Belgium, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, I guess. They're all related and the young family members are good friends.

Lots of aristocrats from all over Europe as well. And the Imperial Family or Brazil, of course.

Thank you for your quick reply. :flowers: It sounds like it will be quite a big occasion, with a few reigning royals and many non-reigning royals/aristocrats in attendance.

Back
Top Bottom