The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

The King and the Queen of the Belgians never attend Princely and noble Belgian wedding.
Queen Mathilde came only for congratulations. Well done !

Old 06-20-2016, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The King and the Queen of the Belgians never attend Princely and noble Belgian wedding.
That was indeed a very nice gesture on behalf of the queen!

Old 06-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
The de Ligne family ranks among the top of the Belgian aristocracy in Belgium. They're one of 7 families who are allowed to carry the title "prince". As such they've always frequented the Belgian royals. And they've been princes in Belgium far longer than the royal family - who were (German) princes of Saksen-Coburg before 1830 of course.

At the Jordanian state visit to Belgium last month, Alix's parents were among the guests: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GV1QHWLmH.../s1600/00b.JPG

And it was at the castle of Beloeil that prince Philippe first met Marie-Alix d'Udekem who later presented him to her sister Mathilde... Queen Mathilde: Family: Marie-Alix d'Udekem
I'm aware of the status of the de Ligne family, however I didn't know that they outrank the BRF in the terms of how long they have lived in Belgium. I'd forgotten about the BRF being German princes originally, which is strange since I always knew that they were members of the House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha.
Thank you for sharing the photos as well, they were nice to see - I like seeing old photos of royals and aristocrats.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm aware of the status of the de Ligne family, however I didn't know that they outrank the BRF in the terms of how long they have lived in Belgium. I'd forgotten about the BRF being German princes originally, which is strange since I always knew that they were members of the House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha.
When Belgium became independent, the throne was offered to the then Prince de Ligne, but he said no. Had he accepted, this thread could be about the wedding of Princess Alix of Belgium.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

We always learned that the de Ligne hoped to asked to be King.

The coalition of then choose Prince Leopold of SCG who had an excellent Reputation and so sadly lost his wife , his Son and his Throne to be King of the Belgians. He accepted after refusing the Throne of Greece.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Daily Mail article about the wedding:

Princess Alix de Ligne of Belgium is radiant in a vintage-inspired wedding gown in Beloeil | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Why is that?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 PM
Nobility

Luxarazzi: Guests at the Ligne/Dampierre Wedding
Old 06-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Tatania , it was a Tradition.

If they attend one , they have to attend all. They send their Children or Family
Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Majesty

Pictures of Civil and church wedding and guests

https://t.co/vb5UjdVXdy
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Royal Highness

HRH the Princess de Ligne (née Princess Eleanora of Brazil) participates in a Brazilian folklore dance during the celebrations for the wedding of her daughter Alix.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Courtier

It wasn't for the wedding. This video is a few years old.

But its wonderful to see the Princess dancing. She was born on the same region of Brazil that this group is from.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.