The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Courtier

Prince Luiz (who'll be 78 in June) will defintely not attend, as he seldom leaves his home, due to his health problems. Prince Bertrand (75) is still very active and travels a lot around Brazil, the US and Europe, so he may attend. Princess Isabel (72), who's also Princess Alix's godmother, is also in poor health, so she may not attend.

The other two uncles over 70, Princes Eudes (77 in june) and Pedro (70) are also in general good health, so I believe they'll travel to Belgium to attend her niece's wedding.

Prince Antonio and Princess Christine will certainly attend. I believe the other uncles and aunt (Princess Maria Gabriela) will also attend, and Princess Maria Thereza already lives in Belgium.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to Princess Alix and Count Guillaume!. When and where is the wedding?

Old 05-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikha Pal View Post
Congratulations to Princess Alix and Count Guillaume!. When and where is the wedding?
They'll marry on June 18 (next month), at the Church of Saint-Pierre-de-Beloeil, near Princess Alix's childhood home, Chateau de Beloeil.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I wait very much for this wedding! Princess Alix to be a stunning no doubt bride!!!!
Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Courtier

She is very beautiful and will surely make a stunning bride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
They'll marry on June 18 (next month), at the Church of Saint-Pierre-de-Beloeil, near Princess Alix's childhood home, Chateau de Beloeil.
Thank you for the information!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:26 AM
Courtier

Uma princesa que reina em Ipanema e casará na Bélgica

A Princess who reigns in Ipanema and will marry in Belgium.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:04 AM
Courtier

Valentin Dupont of Royalement Blog will represent Noblesse et Royautés at the wedding. He's been accredited to cover entrances and exits at the church.

Source: Noblesse et Royautés au mariage d'Alix de Ligne et Guillaume de Dampierre - Noblesse & Royautés
Old 06-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Courtier

The Imperial House confirmed that the Prince Imperial Dom Bertrand will attend his niece's wedding. Prince Luiz will not.

Prince Antonio and Princess Christine are already in Europe with Princess Amélia (who lives Madrid) and Princess Maria Gabriela (who lives in Brussels). Prince Rafael will go to Europe next week.

There's no information if Princess Alix will keep her Brazilian dynastic rights.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
The Imperial House confirmed that the Prince Imperial Dom Bertrand will attend his niece's wedding. Prince Luiz will not.

Prince Antonio and Princess Christine are already in Europe with Princess Amélia (who lives Madrid) and Princess Maria Gabriela (who lives in Brussels). Prince Rafael will go to Europe next week.

There's no information if Princess Alix will keep her Brazilian dynastic rights.
I was looking at the 1824 Constitution of the Empire of Brazil and what it said about succession to the Brazilian throne. Succession was hereditary on the legitimate descendants of D. Pedro I by male-preference primogeniture. Other than that, the only restrictions I could find on the text were:

1. The Emperor, prior to his enthronement, and the Heir Apparent, upon reaching the age of 14, had to take an oath to preserve the Roman Catholic faith.
  2. The Heiress Presumptive to the throne could not marry without the consent of the General Assembly (i.e. the Brazilian parliament).
  3. No foreigner could ascend the throne.
As you can see, the constitution said nothing about "equal" or "dynastic" marriages and did not even require the monarch's or parliament's consent for any person in the line of succession other than the Heiress Presumptive to get married. I don't understand then why the so-called "Vassouras branch" comes up with those alleged "imperial house rules" regarding royal marriages and "excludes" individuals from the "line of succession" based on so-called "rules" that actually have no legal basis in the imperial constitution.

PS: The text in the above-referenced link is written using 19th-century Portuguese spelling, which is quite different from modern spelling and, therefore, might not work well with Google Translator (i.e. the translator might not recognize words written in the old spelling).
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Courtier

I know the 1824 Imperial Constitution quite well, having studied it as a History professor and as a monarchist.

Even though there wasn't a constitutional requirement, during the Empire, members of the Imperial Family only married European royalty, with Emperor Pedro II himself rejecting the idea of his daughters marrying Brazilian aristocrats. After the republican coup d'état, Princess Isabel merely officialized this already existing custom as a House rule.

Also, jurists have pointed out that Articles 11 and 98 of the 1824 Imperial Constitution can be interpreted as allowing the Head of the Imperial House to create House rules. There's an excelent book on this subject, "A legitimidade monárquica no Brasil" (The monarchical legitimacy in Brazil), by Dr. Armando Alexandre dos Santos.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

If you consider that custom, I suppose the marriage of Princess Alix will be morganatic as well, since a count Dampierre is hardly on the same level. So that means that there will be 3 unmarried dynasts left in the Vassouras branch. I imagine that if they allow a marriage to non-royals their own claim would fall apart.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Courtier

Interview with the couple.

La princesse Alix de Ligne et son futur époux se présentent

Old 06-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Alix has renounced her rights.

The list of Brazilian dynasts grows ever shorter.

https://www.facebook.com/CausaImperi...225479016516:0
Old 06-18-2016, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the wedding is today, Princess Tessy has posted on Instagram about attending a family wedding in Brussels this weekend. Big hat!

https://instagram.com/p/BGyitEEhRQs/
Old 06-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Courtier

First picture. The bride and her father arriving at the church.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...ff256705cb3898

Old 06-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

A video

https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale...3496207857161/
Old 06-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The dress looks gorgeous, let's hope we will get close-up pix !
Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Is she's using the Ligne tiara that her aunt, Princess Christine of Brazil (nee Princess de Ligne) used at her wedding or the one she used at gala dinner before HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg's wedding. Or is it the one her cousin, Princess Amélia used, in 2014?

Princess Christine's tiaras:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1de198a4b8.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f1e893e6df.jpg

http://imgsapp.impresso.em.com.br/ap...227723848o.jpg

Princess Amélia's tiara:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a8af90a1c4.jpg

Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Another video. After the wedding, Count and Countess Guillaume de Dampierre returning the Chateau de Beloeil, followed by the Prince and Princess de Ligne, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Hereditary Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, and Count and Countess Audoin de Dampierre.

https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale...3496333297161/

Old 06-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Did any members of the Belgian RF attend?