The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
How lovely that they became engaged not long before Valentine's Day.
Yes I was thinking that too,congratulations to the happy couple.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Courtier

They are on the cover of Point de Vue, so we'll soon get some engagement pictures.

"The Royal wedding of the year."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbWR8vAW4AAWZNA.jpg:large

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Not hard to do, the only European royal wedding this year AFAIK announced at least yet. Different story if a member of one of the major royal houses was getting married this year like if CP married this year instead of last summer.

Great looking couple and happy looking.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Is it known if the princess' uncle will allow her to keep her succession rights to the Brazilian IH? A French count Dampierre would be on the same level as a Polish countess Dobržensky de Dobrženic, which would mean that she is out of succession too and only 3 unmarried dynasts are left in her generation.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Princess Pia Maria of Brazil (1913-2000) married a French Count de Nicolaÿ in 1948, and was allowed to keep her rights.

The Dobrzenskys were only Barons until just before the wedding. Princess Isabel, then Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, was the one who asked Emperor Franz Josef to give the Dobrzenskys the title of Counts.

I believe the Nicolaÿs and the Dampierres have a more ancient and prestigious lineage than the Dobrzenskys, and that certainly will be taken into account by Princess Alix's uncle.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Ah, so they strech the rules when it suits them. I suppose that also explains why the baron Carlos von Taxis in listed in the succession. A pity they could not make an exception for Princess Amélia as well, whose husband is from a baronet family.

Dampierre and Nicolay may be a step up from a mere baron, but a marriage with a count(ess) of these families would be morganatic if one sticks to the old rules. Of course Brazil/Portugal never had such rules, which begs the question why the Vassouras branch bothers with them in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation Cris M. I am glad to hear that it will be considered equal so the Vassouras branch doesn't become extinct.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Courtier

I don't know if it'll be considered equal, I'm just guessing. Anyway, times change, a Countess wasn't accepted in 1908, but a Count was in 1948. Maybe a commoner will be accepted one day. I'm not for or against it, to be honest.

Also, I asked a friend (who knows much more than me about these matters), and Barons Carlos his children, grandchildren and siblings are not regarded as dynasts by Prince Luiz. According to him, Princess Alix is the final name in the succession.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
They are on the cover of Point de Vue, so we'll soon get some engagement pictures.

"The Royal wedding of the year."

Thank you for the photo, they seem to be a likeable couple. I'm looking forward to the wedding, it will be interesting to see which reigning houses will attend. I'm not that knowledgable about Princess Alix enough to know, but is she close to any of them?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thank you for the photo, they seem to be a likeable couple. I'm looking forward to the wedding, it will be interesting to see which reigning houses will attend. I'm not that knowledgable about Princess Alix enough to know, but is she close to any of them?
Belgium, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, I guess. They're all related and the young family members are good friends.

Lots of aristocrats from all over Europe as well. And the Imperial Family or Brazil, of course.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Belgium, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, I guess. They're all related and the young family members are good friends.

Lots of aristocrats from all over Europe as well. And the Imperial Family or Brazil, of course.
Thank you for your quick reply. It sounds like it will be quite a big occasion, with a few reigning royals and many non-reigning royals/aristocrats in attendance.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Astrid eldest daughter was at the engagement party.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Where was it held? Brazil?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Majesty

They are a lovely looking couple...can't wait for the wedding!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Where was it held? Brazil?
Probably at Beloeil. Or at the Chateau de Plassac, the Dampierre's home in France.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Are you talking about this photo with Maria Laura and the couple

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IAds29p7qP...g/s1600/0e.jpg

It is the same photo (she was cropped out) as the engagement photo. But its an old photo. It is from the 2014 wedding of Princess Amelia and James Spearman.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Majesty

Alix and Guillaume have given an interview to point de vue in its newest issue. here's a quick summary of the key points:

They met at a party welcoming Guillaume back from a tour of the world on his motorcycle.
Alix has studied management at a grande ecole called Solvay. She likes gems and hence started her career at a jewelry in Amsterdam, and then went on to study gemology in Anvers and then New York. She now works for H Stern in Rio. H Stern also made her engagement ring. Alix speaks Japanese, and learnt it after only 6 months in Tokyo. Guillaume is himself learning Portuguese without difficulty.
It sounds from the article that the wedding will take place in june in the castle of Beloeil. Alix will dress a dress by Gerald Watelet.
Guillaume is the son of the founder of the champagne brand Comtes de dampierre. He studied engineering in germany. He then went on to study a master in business at ESPC Europe.
This winter guillaume went to Beloeil to ask for Alix’s hand to her father.
They plan to live in rio after the wedding, in the neighborhood of Leblon.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Majesty

Oooohh...Gerald Watelet creates lovely bridal gowns...I can't wait!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 PM
Heir Apparent

He is no stranger to the house de Ligne. He designed Isabelle Orsini's wedding dress when she married Prince Edward de Ligne (distant relations, his father is third cousins with Alix's). Her dress became well known after Will and Kate got married, because of the comparisons of the two designs

Kate Middleton and Isabella Orsini wedding dresses strikingly similar | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middelton 's lace was made in Caudry (France) it took and long time.

The lace was taken at Liiie railway Station and a great amount of real lace were put on.

This weddng dress took months, Isabelle Orsini 's dress was only in mechanic lace.

it is "a hasard" but Kate should have shown the back of the dress which was hidden by her hair.

Sorry our of topic , but isabelle Orsini was pregnant !
Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

The marriage of a Princesse de Ligne with a Comte de Dampierre is not Ebenbürtig, it is not a marriage between partners of equal rank. However it is Standesgemäß, a marriage between partners of an equal standing: Alix de Ligne comes from the Belgian aristocracy. Guillaume de Dampierre comes from the French aristocracy. So they are Standesgemäß.

In some Royal House, like Prussia, the norm is to marry Standesgemäß, it is not at all needed to marry Ebenbürtig there. The marriage of the late Prince Louis-Ferdinand of Prussia with Countess Donata zu Castell-Rüdenhausen was Standesgemäß and therefore dynastic. The marriage of their son Prince Georg Friedrich with Princess Sophie von Isenburg is seen as Standesgemäß and therefore dynastic.

So we need to know what exactly is the requirement for a dynastic marriage in the House of Brazil. Is that an Ebenbürtige marriage (strictly equal) or is it "only" required to marry Standesgemäß ?