Dutch State Visit to Belgium: June 20-22, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
johann said:
And some more from polfoto

I love Mathilde's hair it's different but very pretty. You rarely she her wear a tiara with some of her hair down.But I like it. And Queen Paola's dress makes her look very regal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for the photos. It's lovely to see that Mathilde and Maxima seem to get on so well. I thought they both looked fantastic (during the greeting at the airport), but what was with the hats? I don't think I've seen Mathilde wear the red outfit before. As everyone has said, she looked a little different for the gala dinner, but it was nice to see her with curls. Her dress is very beautiful. I also love what Claire was wearing too, and it's great to see her too. Haven't seen her for a while.

I liked Mathilde's curls and dress. I also liked Claire and Paola's dresses. The others I'm not so sure about.

Both Maxima and Mathilde look stunning! I love Maxima's dress and I love Mathilde's hair and make-up. Its very different for her but she looks great. I also like Fabiola and Paola's summer time dresses. Everyone else looks very nice and happy to be around each other it seems. Its great to see many family members there from both sides.

Last edited:
Wow! All of them look wonderful!!

Mathilde's new look is quite becoming on her. Maxima as always looks great. I am so glad to see Astrid and Paola, as well as Claire. The men looks so regal and handsome. It's soo great to see them all together.

Thanks for the pics, all who've helped bring them to the forums. :)

I love Maxima's outfit. The dress, the gloves, the tiara, everythig is perfect!

I just love Mathilde's hairdo for this event. she looks stunning and very beautiful, she should try this style more often. it suits her.

Marengo said:
The Duke of Parma is indeed the ex-husband of Princess Irene, Princess Olga :) He and his sons, the princes Carlos and Jaime will be there for the 'contrapresentation', tomorrow in the palace of the fine arts.
No kidding! Actually, come to think of it, in some ways it does make sense: either Carlos or Jaime works for the European Commission in Brussels, plus Beatrix is extremely fond of CH it is said, and it seems likely CH also does go way back with Albert and Paola.
Marengo said:
I hope Laurentien will be well enough to attend as well, so we can discuss another horrendous dress.
LOL, yes it would be great if we can gush over yet another of her 'opinionated choices' so to speak! ;) By the way, nothing against Laurentien the person, who is my number 2 favorite Dutch royal.

Does anyone else think that Mathilde is wearing a hair piece since the curls color do not match the top of her hair? Also, I don't believe the length of hair is this long to suppport these tight curls.

hairdo

I do not like the hairdo of Mathilde and Astrid.
You can see directly that the hairs are wrong.

Maxie said:
I think it ressembles a bit the contrast between the two countries. Dutch people tend to be a bit louder and more outspoken (and not always in a good way that is) than Belgians are. Of course this is in general, because I know some quite outspoken Belgians and a lot of modest Dutchies too. ;)
So true, Maxie! The contrast Alexandria brought up is indeed exactly the way I tend to think about the very difference of these two neighboring countries!
"Introverted elegance", I love that phrase, as it sums up exactly what I appreciate so much in the Belgians (if I may generalize!) :) It also applies to its culture, its incredible food, its charming, gorgeous cities..Gent, Antwerpen, Brugge..for those of you who've never visited..by all means do! Belgium is completely underrated, tourist-wise, I think. But I'm digressing here.

As for the royal 'fashion show', I think as far as the gala looks go, Claire is the clear Belle of the Ball. she's not getting a foot wrong. Princess Astrid looked incredibly elegant as well.

Maxima's trying to pull a JAckie indeed, and doing a great job of it, but her face seems overly made up or something, as if she's fighting fatigue (not unlikely considering what she's been up to lately..)
Same for Mathilde, weird make-up, as some of you have already said. Oh and those hair extensions..kudo's to the woman for trying, but they look BLACK to me! Maybe it's the camera's doing..

By the way, not a picture of the Duke of Parma? ;)
Or is he attendingthe events tomorrow only?

Wow, great pictures! Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures!Maxima looks great with the curls!

I really love the yellow dress Maxima was wearing on the first day of the visit. It is so Jacky Kennedy like.
The hair-do of Mathilda is very elegant on the state-banquet. It suits her very well.

Great pictures!

Princess Maxima looked really stunning! I love her dress! She seems to have a new favourite Tiara (The Diamond Bandeau ). It looks nice on her!

Great to see Beatrix with a huge Tiara again! She must have had a look at this Forum! ;)
Paola looked elegant as usual!

Mathilde looked so different with this Make-up and Hairdo! But she looked really beautiful! :) I love this Tiara!

Obviously Philippe opened his purse and invested in some jewels recently. Mathilde is not only wearing new earrings but also a new ring on her right hand. I don´t think she has done this before; normally she only wears her wedding band and her engagement ring. It looks like a Pomellato-creation to me and I rather think that Mette –Marit has something similar.

Some different pics from belga

Last edited:
i like Mathilda's new hair but not that makeup. its a borderline goth-ish. it doenst suit her fair coloring. she should go for softer tints.

My $2 (pesos)
Jackie Kennedy was very admired here for her elegance and class, till the very end. Maybe that's why Máxima chose those clothes.
A question: are those hats (Matilde's and Queen Paola's) sort of normal hats or are they special, for special meetings (weddings, etc.)?
Prince Wilhelm should go to another barber to have his hair cut, don't you think? It looks like Amalia's been playing with Mommy's scissors on Daddy's hair. Philip looks OK, short hair, well-combed. Astrid looks quite uncomfortable, sort of balancing her 'bun' (? I mean all that long hair on a bun. What's the right word for that (in any language, please)?) on her head. And whatever happened to Laurent, it must be hurting a lot, judging by his face!
OK, ok, don't mind me. I'm just a guy (trying to get rid of that message: it looks as if you haven't posted for some time. Why don't you ...?).
Tomorrow, Tuesday, Máxima and William are attending the football match between Holland and Argentina. We'll have a chance to see them again.
Take care!
Alejandro

Video of the first day
http://www.vtm.be/nieuws/index_bekijkonline.htm
Follow this link and go to " Dinsdag 20/06, laat " and then click on breedband or modem , right at the beginning of the news (till 5:25 min) you can see a summary of the gala-dinner (speeches King Albert and Queen Beatrix about the relationship between Belgium and the Netherlands) and the daytime events in Antwerp (arrival in Antwerp, balcony scene Brussels and something about the demonstrations).

GömdNatt said:
Maxima and Willem are wearing The Order of Leopold, it is a Belgian order. the highest belgian order, in fact.

Are you sure that Maxima & W-A are wearing the Order of Leopold? Because their sashes are a different colour then Beatrix's, and I'm assuming the Queen would have the highest order of the foreign country, so shouldn't their sashes be the same colour? If you look at close-up pictures, you can see that Beatrix's sash is the bright purple, while Maxima & W-A's are a reddy-maroon colour

Oh, BTW, thanks everyone for the lovely pictures!
All the women look brilliant, but I think Astrid's hair could come down at least an inch or two
I wasn't too keen on Mathilde's red hat, it looked like someone had taken a piece of red plastic tubing and fashioned it into a hat.

…and today Albert and his Queens take the boat. The first pics from Ghent (polfoto, anp).

Last edited:
Some more from the Boat Trip
belga38zw.th.jpg

Some from Day 1 - Visit to the Flemish-Dutch House Huis de Buren

Source: Belga

… some more (Belga)

and Albert is a real knight and gives his coat to Beatrix - smashing!

Last edited:
Wow elegant queen Beatrixs hat and beautiful all photos on young royal couple Maxima and Mathilde gala tonight!!!! Queen Fabiola is old grand lady love royal family of Belgium. Queen Fabiola with young royal family on photo and she is see out alert for his old age!!!

JessRulz said:
Are you sure that Maxima & W-A are wearing the Order of Leopold? Because their sashes are a different colour then Beatrix's, and I'm assuming the Queen would have the highest order of the foreign country, so shouldn't their sashes be the same colour? If you look at close-up pictures, you can see that Beatrix's sash is the bright purple, while Maxima & W-A's are a reddy-maroon colour
Yes, they are indeed different orders.

Queen Beatrix wore the Order of Leopold I, which has a purple coloured sash, and the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima wore the Order of the Crown, which has a crimson coloured sash.

King Albert and Queen Paola wore the Order of the Dutch Lion, and the Duke and Duchess of Brabant the Order of Oranje-Nassau.

http://members3.boardhost.com/Oranjes/msg/1150845584.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom