Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Britain, I expect to see HRH the Prince of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall representing HM the Queen.

I expect to see them too. I could be wrong but didn't Queen Elizabeth II attend King Baudouin's funeral. ?

I expect to see them too. I could be wrong but didn't Queen Elizabeth II attend King Baudouin's funeral. ?

Yes Her Majesty did attend the funeral of King Baudouin in 1993,I doubt however we'll see QEII at Queen Fabiola's funeral and the BRF could be represented by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall.

The funeral of Queen Fabiola will be on Friday December 12 at 10 am

Belgian Royal Palace ‏@MonarchieBe Funérailles de SM la Reine Fabiola le vendredi 12 décembre '14 à 10h à la cathédrale des Saints Michel et Gudule à Bruxelles.

Who from Denmark, Monaco and Liechtenstein do you think will attend the funeral? And will former royals attend?

Why did Laurent and Fabiola not get on? I've seen this mentioned a few times but don't know the history?

Prince Laurent was everything what Queen Fabiola was not. While the last one always and ever tried, together with her spouse, to represent the monarchy and the kingdom with the utmost dignity, with 'content' and high standards, Prince Laurent was more than once quite damaging to the monarchy, with his goofy adventures, his indiscretions, his sometimes discutable finances and even periods of pure obstruction. This was so diametrically against the worldview and framework of Queen Fabiola, born and raised as the daughter of an arch-Spanish aristocrat family, residing in an own palace in Madrid (Palacio de Zurbano) with dozens of servants.

Picture - the mother of the late Queen Fabiola, Doña Blanca de Aragón y Carrillo de Albornoz Barroeta-Aldamar y Elío, posing in the staircase of the Palacio de Zurbano: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z62/manuesevilla2/BlancadeAragon1.jpg

:flowers:

In these days Queen Fabiola's ancestral home, the Palacio de Zurbano, is often used as a venue for meetings of the Spanish Government: http://ep00.epimg.net/diario/imagen...69730804_740215_0000000000_noticia_normal.jpg

Last edited:
Do you remember that Queen Fabiola's brother was NOT invited at the Royal Wedding.
He was called Fabiolo...

Do you remember that Queen Fabiola's brother was NOT invited at the Royal Wedding.
He was called Fabiolo...

Indeed, Don Jaime and Prince Laurent have surprisingly a lot in common... both were lightweight fools with no idea about how to make a life. Prince Laurent is totally dependent on the strength and wisdom of his formidable wife, Claire.

Mr jan Jambon (NVA) Ministre de l' Intérieur (English ?) has to organize HM's Funerals !!

Mr jan Jambon (NVA) Ministre de l' Intérieur (English ?) has to organize HM's Funerals !!
Not the Royal Court?

Who from Denmark, Monaco and Liechtenstein do you think will attend the funeral? And will former royals attend?

My guess is that we will see mainly the older generation from the reigning Royals like Princess Beatrix, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia etc.
We can probably expect a large turnout of former reigning Royals like the Orleans, Bonapartes, plenty of Habsburg, the Savoys, the bavarian Royals etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is logic that the Minister of the Interior is responsible for logistic and organisatoric assistance to a public event. The funeral itself looks like a responsible of the Court, I think.

This is a sad occurrence but. Not exactly a surprise. Don't you think a plan for her funeral already exists? And one for Albert and Paola too

I think there is a standard blueprint indeed. All royal funerals were executioned perfectly and I think this will not be different with Queen Fabiola. It is ironic that a prominent politician from the separatist N-VA (New Flemish Alliance) whom is openly anti-monarchistic and anti-Belgicist has now the responsibility for a royal funeral...

Most likely it will please His Majesty The King to award this very republican politician, the Minister of the Interior, with an Order of Merit later this year, for the organization of the funeral...

King Harald of Norway was a 1st cousin of the late Baudouin through their two mothers, who were born Swedish princesses, so I think there may well be some royal representatives from Sweden and Norway at the funeral.

Carl Gustaf and Silvia was very close to Baudouin and Fabiola so i think they will attend. They hade an activity on December 12 but it looks like it have been rescheduled to December 10 so i think they are planning to attend.

As you say she was by marriage very close related to the Norwegian King and his sisters. I think both Harald and Astrid or at least one of them will be in attendance.

The remains of the late Queen Fabiola will stay at her residence, the Château du Stuyvenberg. On Monday morning the Queen will be brought to the Chapel Royal of the Château de Laeken.

On Tuesday afternoon the late Queen Fabiola will be transported from the Château de Laeken to the Palais Royal in Brussels. On Wednesday and Thursday the public will be given access to the palace, to greet the Queen.

On Friday the Funeral Mass will be held in the Cathédrale Saints-Michel-et-Gudule de Bruxelles. Afterwards the late Queen will be interred in the royal crypt, which is inside the Église Notre-Dame de Laeken.

Until the Funeral, all public activities of the royal family have been suspended.

Last edited:
Members of the Princely Family of Ligne will certainly attend, as King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola were close to the late 13th Prince and his wife, Princess Alix of Luxembourg - they were related by marriage anyway.

I don't know if the Dowager Princess will be able to attend, the last time I saw her was at the wedding of the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg - were she sat with Grand Duke Jean and Queen Fabiola - and she was looking so frail.

But I'm sure the 14th Prince and Princess Eleonora will go to the funeral, maybe even Prince Antonio and Princess Christine, as they alway met with the Belgian Royal when they visit Brazil.

Are any of Queen Fabiola's siblings still alive?

Rest in peace Fabiola... :cry:
She must be happy with her beloved husband
:easter::verysad:

Duc et Pair,
Our anti Monarchistic Minister of Interior will not receive the Order of the Merite but the Order of Leopold (our first King) of our the second Order : the Crown Order.

Death of Queen Fabiola - December 5, 2014

The funeral of Queen Fabiola will be on Friday December 12 at 10 am

Belgian Royal Palace ‏@MonarchieBe Funérailles de SM la Reine Fabiola le vendredi 12 décembre '14 à 10h à la cathédrale des Saints Michel et Gudule à Bruxelles.

Then definitely Their Majesties' visit to Vatican has been postponed to allow them to be present at the funeral

Duc et Pair,
Our anti Monarchistic Minister of Interior will not receive the Order of the Merite but the Order of Leopold (our first King) of our the second Order : the Crown Order.

Well... the Royal Decree concerning the granting of an Order to M Johan Jambon, Ministre fédéral de la Sécurité et de l'Intérieur, has to be contraseigned by.... M Johan Jambon.... Most likely he will refuse to sign that Royal Decree, so he will not be "humiliated" with a royal order...

:lol:

From Britain, I expect to see HRH the Prince of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall representing HM the Queen.

Precisely. If her late Majesty's funeral is going to be a semi-state funeral, QEII will send the most senior representative available. In ordinary circumstances that would be the duke of Edinburgh, but of course with his advanced age that is out of the question. QEII had the utmost respect and affection for Baudouin and Fabiola. The Belgian Royal couple were once photographed on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with the BRF.

The Royal families of Lichtenstein and Luxembourg are family to the late queen and will send the largest delegations, along with Fabiola's native Spain. It will be interesting to see who Albert II of Monaco will send. His own mother Princess Grace enjoyed a warm friendship with Fabiola, but with Princess Charlene's confinement imminent I am not sure Albert will leave her side. Maybe Princess Caroline will go instead?

Well... the Royal Decree concerning the granting of an Order to M Johan Jambon, Ministre fédéral de la Sécurité et de l'Intérieur, has to be contraseigned by.... M Johan Jambon.... Most likely he will refuse to sign that Royal Decree, so he will not be "humiliated" with a royal order...

:lol:

You are free in your opinions about politicians and royals (P.Laurent, Q.Fabiola's brother), but is this the right thread to express these opinions?
Imo it should be dedicated to Q.Fabiola and the events of the next days

You are free in your opinions about politicians and royals (P.Laurent, Q.Fabiola's brother), but is this the right thread to express these opinions?

I believe he was responding to questions and comments on the relationships within the families.

Don't think the age of the Duke of Edinburgh will be a problem if he wants to and feel he can do it. If Philip wants to do something, he does no matter what others tell him ?

Last tribute to HM Queen Fabiola at the Royal Palace of Brussels only
Wednesday from 13 to 17 and Thursday from 9 to 17.
Sad for working people.

Back
Top Bottom