Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My condolences to the Family.

So sad...

A great loss for the family and a great loss for Belgium!

She's been a admirable woman - may she rest in peace!

I am surprised that VRT (the Dutch speaking public channel) just goes on with the regular program. No Breaking News, no special program. In Spain "just" for the Duchess of Alba, TVE could not stop reporting about the life and death of Doña Cayetana FitzJames Stuart y Silva...

I am also used to Dutch television and on such moments, all channels, both public and commercial, immediately change programs (Prince Claus, Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard). Even for a junior Prince as Friso, there was more attention on TV than now on VRT for Queen Fabiola, how is this possible?

:sad:

I can't believe it. I am zapping Belgian TV and I just see Inspector George Gently and Million Dollar Baby....

:ohmy:

Last edited:
Such devastating news. Her Majesty was a terrific woman, the very epitome of beauty and elegance, and her death is a massive loss for the royal family, Belgium and the rest of the world. May you rest in peace and finally be reunited with your king, grand lady.

Last edited:
I am surprised that VRT (the Dutch speaking public channel) just goes on with the regular program. No Breaking News, no special program. In Spain "just" for the Duchess of Alba, TVE could not stop reporting about the life and death of Doña Cayetana FitzJames Stuart y Silva...

I can't believe it. I am zapping Belgian TV and I just see Inspector George Gently and Million Dollar Baby....

The programme 'Ter Zake' (before the movie) was dedicated to her death. It was the same for Albert's abdication announcement btw.Quite a difference indeed. Still, I am sure that more programmes will follow in the next days.

Edit: The VRT is showing a documentary now. Maybe it took some time to change the programming.

In Ter Zake a former minister said she regretted that the Queen was considered a zealot as she could be quite progressive in many areas. They also said that she denied being a member of opus dei. It was unconventional that she and her husband met & talked often with prositutes, homeless people, AIDS patients etc. She kissed the patients in a time that others were afraid to give them hands. Also with a great inquisitive mind, in science, 3rd world problematics etc. She was even interested in genetic cloning. One commenter said is was a lady of many facets, of many paradoxes and that he wanted to correct the image of the queen.

Another person (Count Paul Buysse) told the anecdote that HM was a big fan of ABBA. 12 years ago he organised a trip to London where HM would see a show with music of the group. However just before the show the palace let it known that they did not consider it a good idea.He also stated that he never knew a couple that were as close as Boudouin and Fabiola.

Graaf Paul Buysse: "Ze dweepte met Abba" - HLN.be

The Dutch newspapers have the item as their main news too and refer to her as the 'Grand Dame' of the Belgian RF. Her successor was never well known here, but most people knew Fabiola, she and Boudouin were iconic. One of the fairytales she wrote was actually used to make a very popular attraction in the largest attraction park in the country.

It is expected that the funeral will be a large one, channeling the funeral of her husband. The Prime Minister however still needs to discuss with his ministers.
Koning Filip is nu bij koningin Fabiola | VTM NIEUWS

The funeral will be led by cardinal Danneels.
http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/118890-danneels-zal-begrafenis-voorgaan

The RVD announced that King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima and Princess Beatrix heard with great sadness the news of Queen Fabiola's death. Their thoughts are with the Belgian royal family.

Willem-Alexander leeft mee met Belgen | NOS

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about the death of Queen Fabiola. May she rest in peace.

RTL started their news at 7 pm and at 7.09 the Officlal and unexpected Announcement of Queen Fabiola's death. Nothing was prepared.
RTBF (Belgian french speaking TV )started their news at 7.30 with special Edition, lady in black and already films and pictures of the Queen.

I was happy to have shake her hands on the 31th of July 2013 it was the last time we saw her in public

I saw this evening so many pictures of her and King Baudouin how happy they were to-gether.
She was my Queen and I am sad !

Her Funerals will not exactly be the same as for King Baudouin . He was our King .
Queen Fabiola is not Queen Consort either but to-morrrow afternoon The Government will discuss about it . National Funerals , National Mourning Day and a lot of foreign Royals will attend.

Her Funerals will not exactly be the same as for King Baudouin . He was our King .
Queen Fabiola is not Queen Consort either but to-morrrow afternoon The Government will discuss about it . National Funerals , National Mourning Day and a lot of foreign Royals will attend.

I realize no details have been confirmed but are there any royals Fabiola was particularly close to and so who are likely to attend the funeral? Maybe members of the Spanish Royal Family?

It is indeed a sad time in Belgium to have lost this magnificent woman. It breaks my heart that she has left us.
May this lovely queen rest in peace with her beloved king.

Such sad news - may she RIP with her beloved husband

No doubt she might think about making the rounds with Saint Nicholas tonight. If you find a shiny bauble in your shoe - it may just be from her! :candycane:

Back at last with her loved and loving husband....a great Lady.

Tommy100,
For sure , The Whole Grand Ducal Family, the Habsbourg family, Members from the RF of the Netherlands, Spain , Sweden and Norway .

Beautiful personality Rest in peace

She belongs to the memories of my childhood - like Anne Marie, Farah, Sirikit and all the other well-known Queens of the sixties
R.I.P.

Such sad news, but especially coming at this time of year. The Family is going to be so lost w/out her.

A truly great Lady who will be very much missed. Back w/her Beloved King at last.

Farewell and GodSpeed to a great Lady. May she Rest in Peace. :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

A Wonderful Life

There has been a joyous reunion this evening.
Vaya Con Dios, Senora.:easter::xmasbell:(Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings (From the old movie"It's A Wonderful LIfe)).

Ana

Back
Top Bottom