Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who read French, the blog 'royalement' has a rather interesting article about the Queen. For those who do not read French, they also posted some pictures that I have seldom seen. Among them a photo of Baudouin, Fabiola and Juan-Carlos and Sofia in 1977:

Royalement Blog: La reine Fabiola (1928-2014)

And there is also this old article / biography from TRF / LadyLeana:
Queen Fabiola: the Woman Behind the Hairdo

Two days ago the hairdresser of Q. Fabiola was interviewed by the radio and newspapers. He was her hairdresser since 1967 and would work on the most famous hairdo of the country until the end. He remembered how cheerful she was: 'her laugh would fill the entire castle'. He saw her last 1 1/2 month ago and by then it was clear that she would soon be passing away. He mentions also that only once he suggested a different hairstyle, a suggestion that was met with a firm 'no'.

Kapper Fabiola: 'Die ondulaties had ze van nature' | Radio1

Last edited:
Have any foreign royals confirmed their attendance at the Funeral Mass for Queen Fabiola on Friday?

For Denmark it will be the Queen
"H. M. Queen participates in H.M. Queen Fabiola funeral in Brussels Cathedral, Belgium pm. 10:00."

On Saturday, the official Facebook page of Pró Monarquia, secretariat of the Imperial House of Brazil, released the following statement:

https://www.facebook.com/promonarqu...551259781459/1568638980039353/?type=1&theater

"It is with great sadness that Pró Monarquia, Secretariat of the Imperial House of Brazil, transmit the news of the passing of Queen Fabiola of Belgium, widow of King Baudouin of the Belgians and aunt of King Philippe.

Queen Fabiola, born in an aristocratic spanish family, as Doña Fabila de Mora y Aragón, became Queen of the Belgians in 1960, after she married King Baudouin. As Queen consort, she stayed by her husband's side until 1993, when the King died unexpectedly. Sadly, the couple never had children, and the Belgian Crown passed to her brother-in-law, King Albert II.

As Dowager Queen of Belgium, she played a notable role with charities. Since 2009, she was suffering from a pneumonia she never truly recovered from, besides osteoporosis. She died yesterday at the age of 86. The Royal House of Belgium released the following statement:

'Their Majesties The King and Queen and following members of the Royal Family anounce, with great sadness, the death of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola, tonigh, in Brussels.'

The Imperial House of Brazil sends it's condolences to the Belgian Royal House and the Belgian people, transmitting it's feeling towards such a caring and religious Queen."

Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, also sent a personal message to the King of the Belgians.

Henri, Maria Teresa, Jean, Guillaume, Stephanie and other memeber of the Grand Ducal family will attend the funeral.

Source: place Royale

According to the abbott Benoit Lobet, Fabiola was looking forward to her death and the reconsiliation that she expected with her husband. The funeral service will be a celebration of her life, even festive as far as protocol allows. She wanted a cheerful funeral.

A dame d'honneur said that Fabiola predicted her own death for 6 months. She was praying for weeks, and each time announced that it would be her last 2 or 3 days: 'she thought about nothing else than of dying and being reconsiled with her husband'.

http://nos.nl/artikel/2007904-koningin-fabiola-wilde-vrolijke-begrafenis.html

Feestelijke begrafenis Fabiola | Prive | Telegraaf.nl

http://www.rtbf.be/video/detail_tem...dame-d-honneur-de-la-reine-fabiola?id=1976410

Last edited:
For those who read French, the blog 'royalement' has a rather interesting article about the Queen. For those who do not read French, they also posted some pictures that I have seldom seen. Among them a photo of Baudouin, Fabiola and Juan-Carlos and Sofia in 1977:

And there is also this old article / biography from TRF / LadyLeana:
Queen Fabiola: the Woman Behind the Hairdo

Two days ago the hairdresser of Q. Fabiola was interviewed by the radio and newspapers. He was her hairdresser since 1967 and would work on the most famous hairdo of the country until the end. He remembered how cheerful she was: 'her laugh would fill the entire castle'. He saw her last 1 1/2 month ago and by then it was clear that she would soon be passing away. He mentions also that only once he suggested a different hairstyle, a suggestion that was met with a firm 'no'.

Kapper Fabiola: 'Die ondulaties had ze van nature' | Radio1

Thanks much Marengo, for posting this. The late queen would also astonish her hairdressers by doing two or three things at once while they were tending to her...dictating to a secretary, looking at sketches from designers, and conversing with them all in a variety of different languages.

Fabiola was a quintessential Gemini;)!

I am a little confused. The DM article says that Queen Fabiola's remains will be in the palatine chapel at Laeken until her funeral Mass on Friday. But the DM article says she will be moved to the Palace of Brussels on Wednesday to lie in state?

There is a blond haired young man sitting behind Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip during the King's funeral? Was it a young Willem-Alexander?

I am a little confused. The DM article says that Queen Fabiola's remains will be in the palatine chapel at Laeken until her funeral Mass on Friday. But the DM article says she will be moved to the Palace of Brussels on Wednesday to lie in state?

I understand that you get confused, the mail is a very confusing newspaper.

Queen Fabiola's remains will be moved to the royal palace today, and lie in state wednesday and thursday. The funeral is on friday.

I understand that you get confused, the mail is a very confusing newspaper.

Queen Fabiola's remains will be moved to the royal palace today, and lie in state wednesday and thursday. The funeral is on friday.

Okay, thank you! By the way by "today" I assume you mean Tuesday the 9th of December? It is still Monday evening on the Pacific coast of the U.S;).

Okay, thank you! By the way by "today" I assume you mean Tuesday the 9th of December? It is still Monday evening on the Pacific coast of the U.S;).

Yes, she will be moved to the royal palace Tuesday the 9th of December!

I will not be surprised to see Philip there on Friday. Also, I think it would be the most beautiful and glorious gesture for those attending to wear white like Wilhelmina and Juliana, but in surety and celebration of her beautiful dedication to her king and her people. How magnificent that would be.

I will not be surprised to see Philip there on Friday. Also, I think it would be the most beautiful and glorious gesture for those attending to wear white like Wilhelmina and Juliana, but in surety and celebration of her beautiful dedication to her king and her people. How magnificent that would be.

I am reading that the queen left special instructions for her funeral and that she wants things to be as joyous and as "happy" as the liturgy will allow. And being familiar with Cardinal Danneel's reputation, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an...unusual Requiem, to put it mildly.

I cannot warm to the idea of adults wearing white to a Funeral Mass but by God if that's what HM wanted then that is what she should have.

Very surprised to learn that the Empress of Japan will attend the late queen's funeral. I know that they were close friends but Empress Michiko herself has appeared rather frail lately.

I would not count on seeing the duke of Edinburgh in Brussels Friday. If it's not Prince Charles, I am not sure whom it will be.

Last edited:
I cannot warm to the idea of adults wearing white to a Funeral Mass but by God if that's what HM wanted then that is what she should have.

I agree with you Moonie, while I'm a bit of an anarchist myself when it comes to certain things and doesn't let people's opinions stop me from doing what I feel is the right thing for me in life I'm a stickler to tradition when it comes to funerals- Wear your best black (or darkish) suit, as a man know when to wear a white or black tie, lower your head at the last goodbye and don't laugh when the woman-who-took-all-those-singing-lessons-but-only-ended-up-as-a-funeral-singer-but-still-think-she's-at-The-Met (coffin larks as we call them) sings a funeral hymn about the afterlife. Then again I just labeled myself as an anarchist royalist so it might be me that's the wrong one out and not everyone else...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Netherlands I think Princess Beatrix

Monaco, i think Prince Albert will be present

Great Britain the comte and countess of Essex
Spain : King juan Carlos and queen Sophia of Spain.
Norway, king Harald and queen Sonia

Sweden perhaps the king Carl Gustav and queen Sylvia of Sweden.

And former empress Farah .

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

Incredible article! A bit long but definitely worth of being read.

White mourning is actually a sign of deepest respect and an ancient royal tradition as explained by the Wikipedia quote below:

"The color of deepest mourning among medieval European queens was white. In 1393, Parisians were treated to the unusual spectacle of a royal funeral carried out in white, for Leo V, King of Armenia, who died in exile.[2] This royal tradition survived in Spain until the end of the fifteenth century. In 1993, it was revived by the Spanish-born Queen Fabiola for the funeral of her husband, King Baudouin I of Belgium. Additionally, in 2004, the four daughters of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands all wore white to their mother's funeral. The custom for the Queens of France to wear deuil blanc [white mourning] was the origin of the White Wardrobe created in 1938 by Norman Hartnell for Queen Elizabeth (later called Queen Mother). She was required to make a State visit to France while in mourning for her mother."

Mourning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would not count on seeing the duke of Edinburgh in Brussels Friday. If it's not Prince Charles, I am not sure whom it will be.
I am still hoping the DoE will attend as he is the most suitable member of the BRF for a queen consort's funeral. If he cannot go, the PoW should attend.

White mourning is actually a sign of deepest respect and an ancient royal tradition as explained by the Wikipedia quote below:

"The color of deepest mourning among medieval European queens was white. In 1393, Parisians were treated to the unusual spectacle of a royal funeral carried out in white, for Leo V, King of Armenia, who died in exile.[2] This royal tradition survived in Spain until the end of the fifteenth century. In 1993, it was revived by the Spanish-born Queen Fabiola for the funeral of her husband, King Baudouin I of Belgium. Additionally, in 2004, the four daughters of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands all wore white to their mother's funeral. The custom for the Queens of France to wear deuil blanc [white mourning] was the origin of the White Wardrobe created in 1938 by Norman Hartnell for Queen Elizabeth (later called Queen Mother). She was required to make a State visit to France while in mourning for her mother."

Mourning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am still hoping the DoE will attend as he is the most suitable member of the BRF for a queen consort's funeral. If he cannot go, the PoW should attend.

I do hope Charles and Camilla attend the funeral. I just do not think it is right for the DoE to have to undertake these duties now.

Apart from the Luxembourg royals, Queen Margarethe and Empress Michiko, have their been any other confirmations of the attendance of other foreign royals?

No, but several reporters are twittering that the Swedish and Norwegian kings have made some changes in their agendas, which makes people think that they will attend the funeral. In Norway the Crown Prince has taken over an engagement of his father on Friday, while in Sweden a meeting with the king has been cancelled.

Last edited:
No, but several reporters are twittering that the Swedish and Norwegian kings have made some changes in their agendas, which makes people think that they will attend the funeral. In Norway the Crown Prince has taken over an engagement of his father on Friday, while in Sweden a meeting with the king has been cancelled.

Queen Maxima has other scheduled engangements on Friday, so I assume she won't attend the funeral.

I think rather that Princess Beatrix will attend the funeral bacause she knew more queen Fabiola than her daughter in law and she was very friendly with the former queen of Belgium.

Back
Top Bottom