The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I think we will see someone from the British royal family. They have so many people: the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Gloucester, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael of Kent, I am sure someone will represent Her Majesty.
I also would be very very surprised if the British royal family wasn't represented. Perhaps it just hasn't been formally announced yet who will attend. I remember reading that Queen Elizabeth attended King Baudoin's funeral and that it was a rare occurrence as the Queen never attends funerals as a rule. To tip the scales to the opposite would be very uncharacteristic of the British monarchy.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Serene Highness

May I remind some of you that the Queen was present at king Baudouins funeral, something she has never done before and never did after (she was, for instance, very close to the late King Paul of the Hellenes and King Olav of Norway but still didn´t go): So, stating the brit. Royals would snub the belgians or even "hate" them (why should they?!) is totally nonsense.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
According to various sources the British Royals will not send any representative to the funerals :

Funérailles de Fabiola: beaucoup de musique à la cathédrale, le témoignage du personnel à Laeken | Belgique - lesoir.be

If i remember well there was an alleged rift between the two families because the Belgian Court "only" sent the then Prince Albert to the funerals of George VI. Then the presence of "only" Princess Margaret to the 1960 royal wedding was seen as more or less a cold response from the BRF. Finally the exceptionnal attendance of QEII to the funerals of King Baudoin supposedly ended any more trouble between the two families.
We can now only speculate about this (not so surprising ?) decision from the BRF...
I don't believe the rumors of rift between the Belgian and British royal families. Queen Elizabeth was very fond of King Baudouin. In fact in 1990 Baudouin and Fabiola were guests of honour at the Battle of Britain Commemoration and appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with the British Royals. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1dpL7aYwcB...79911864xv.jpg

The fact that only funeral Elizabeth has ever gone to outside of the UK was to King Baudouin says something about her affection for him.

I don't know how fond Queen Elizabeth was of King Albert II. It says something that neither paid an official visit to each other during Albert's reign. She has already met twice with King Philippe during his reign.

I suspect the lack of representation by the BRF (if that turns out to be the case) has more to do with scheduling than a snub.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Gentry

I have read that QEII only attended Baudouin's funereal because the emperor of Japan did and she didn't want to be shown up. It was a last minute decision. I do not expect her to attend, but I do expect a senior Brit royal will regardless of public announcements. After all, afaik they have not said they won't go.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:

If i remember well there was an alleged rift between the two families because the Belgian Court "only" sent the then Prince Albert to the funerals of George VI. Then the presence of "only" Princess Margaret to the 1960 royal wedding was seen as more or less a cold response from the BRF. Finally the exceptionnal attendance of QEII to the funerals of King Baudoin supposedly ended any more trouble between the two families.
We can now only speculate about this (not so surprising ?) decision from the BRF...
i want to hope these are only rumours. holding such a grudge would be the complete opposite from "royal" behaviour, so i want to think this is all just coincidence and problems with the agenda of the BRF rather than them wanting to snub the belgian family!

however, i kind of felt bad / embarrased about the duke of edinburgh wearing the wrong sash. what a disaster. although, who can blame him, he must have hundreds of sashes in his wardrobe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintgilles View Post
Yes, it is much light inside..she is not in a Chapelle, but the room where she lays is very nice with much flowers.. it's the room directly behind the balcony in the middle of the palace...
thanks for letting us know about your visit! i'm surprised they haven't chosen the chapel to mourn fabiola but i am no expert when it comes to funeral arrangements.

however, i would have expected her hair to be presented as she usually wore it, if i understand correctly other deceased dignataries had their corpses "made up" before their open coffin mourning.

talking about open coffins, i find them sort of unnecessary in today's time, i wonder if it was the decision of fabiola to have an open coffin funeral or whether it is tradition in the family.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
According to various sources the British Royals will not send any representative to the funerals

These stories sound very media-fabricated to me! Prince Albert wasn´t a "only" in 1952. He was the immediate heir to the belgian throne as his brother Baudouin, young King of Belgium, was neither married nor had children of his own. So Albert, as "Crown Prince" at the time, was the perfect, if not the only thinkable choice to attend a state funeral of a foreign monarch! A year later, Albert was the official representative of his brother at the Queen´s coronation - again the only possible choice as his only other sibling, Josephine-Charlotte, had become hereditary GDss of Luxemburg and represented her Grand Duchy. Protocol normally forbids monarchs to attend coronations or enthronements of other sovereigns, so Baudouin couldn´t go!
Prcss Margaret was in 1960 a very high ranking representative of her sister Elizabeth II. The Queen´s children were all underaged, Prcss Margaret did one oversea´s trip for the crown after the next where she even opened colonial parlaments for her busy sister! She even represented her father at Queen Juliana´s enthronement in 1948 (Elizabeth was heavily pregnant).
What I´m saying is that Margaret wasn´t some obscure, hardly known british jet-set princess, but a high profiled and respected (also among all the other european dynasties!) member of the brit. Royal Family.
If the young Queen had died before Pr. Charles had come of age, Prcss Margaret would have become something like a "Princess Regent" until Charles would have been taken over! So, speaking of "only" in the 1950s and 60s concerning M is completely misplaced!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
May I remind some of you that the Queen was present at king Baudouins funeral, something she has never done before and never did after (she was, for instance, very close to the late King Paul of the Hellenes and King Olav of Norway but still didn´t go): So, stating the brit. Royals would snub the belgians or even "hate" them (why should they?!) is totally nonsense.
King Baudouin died middle in the summer holidays, the Queen had a totally empty agenda, relaxing at Balmoral. She had no any excuse not to go to the funeral of a fellow crowned head of state of a neighbouring country whom also was -like herself- a born Von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha...

Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well, of course "just a junior royal" probably would cause some criticism, but after all there was someone representing Her Majesty....

Note that Elizabeth von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (known as "Windsor") has no interest in Fabiola von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (known as "de Belgique") née De Mora y Aragón.... It is not only about a royal in a neighbouring state, it is even a relative inside her royal dynasty...

King Christian IX of Denmark was the great-great-grandfather of both King Baudoin (Queen Fabiola's late husband) and Queen Elizabeth II, making them third cousins. I believe it is extremely rude for the Queen not to send any representative to the funeral, especially considering that the Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal are the only members of the British royal family who have scheduled engagements tomorrow. Sending one of the Queen's other sons or even one of her cousins to attend the funeral would have been infinitely better than sending no one at all.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

Flemish singer Will Tura will sing at Fabiola's funeral as he did at Boudewijn's
in dutch: Begrafenis Fabiola toch vrij toegankelijk - De Standaard
google translate in english: https://translate.google.be/translat...791&edit-text=
Old 12-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
King Baudouin died middle in the summer holidays, the Queen had a totally empty agenda, relaxing at Balmoral. She had no any excuse not to go to the funeral of a fellow crowned head of state of a neighbouring country whom also was -like herself- a born Von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha...

And she was 21 years younger!!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Believe me, the Queen doesn´t need an "excuse" if she didn´t want to go...!
She has shown more than once that she takes unpopular decisions without caring or listening to peoples´s opinions what she "should" do. That´s one of the things I admire her for!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359 View Post

I suspect the lack of representation by the BRF (if that turns out to be the case) has more to do with scheduling than a snub.
As I said, the official royal site lists engagements only for the Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal on December 12th. I didn't expect the Queen or the DoE (due to his old age) to attend, but what about the Queen's younger sons or one of her cousins ?

The decision not to send any member of the family to Queen Fabiola's funeral is beyond any reasonable explanation to me. I doubt there is any rift between the British and the Belgian branches of the Coburg family given King Philippe's recent visits to Queen Elizabeth II and his presence as (then) Duke of Brabant at Prince William's wedding.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post

I think you misunderstod me. I wasn't saying that The Queen herself must attend. I know she attended the funeral of the late King in 1993 but that was probably because she were on summer holiday and had no excuse to stay away when almost all her equal monarches was to be in attendance.
I was talking about the principle that when a King or a Queen of another country dies, it should be a duty for other monarchies to send the monarch OR someone to represent the monarch at the funeral.

Yes i used hard words but i stay behind them. The working part of the british royal family isn't exactly short of members so to not send a single member wether it is The Prince of Wales or Princess Michael of Kent would indeed be a snub.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
NOS Television (the Netherlands) uses to have a livestream on NPO Nieuws | NOS when they have a live broadcast on television. So far the Netherlands are the only foreign country to broadcast the funeral live.
It will also be brodacasted by austrian ORF2. Don't know if they will have a Livestream.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Yes i used hard words but i stay behind them. The working part of the british royal family isn't exactly short of members so to not send a single member wether it is The Prince of Wales or Princess Michael of Kent would indeed be a snub.

But how can you state something (brit. royal family HATES the belgian one!) you cannot proof?! Have you ever talked with a member of the 2 families about it? Even if one member of the staffs would have told you, I´d be very careful to claim such a thing! Evidence still missing...
I agree if not a single of the BRF would attend tomorrow, it could be seen, if one urgently wants to, as a "snub". But why not wait until tomorrow?! We can still complain and curse when we know for sure....!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Majesty

I do not understand the fuss about who will represent the British royal family. The Windsors are just one of the European royal families. It would be fair to say that they will send someone to attend.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I do not understand the fuss about who will represent the British royal family. The Windsors are just one of the European royal families. It would be fair to say that they will send someone to attend.
The news is that they are sending no one to attend. That is what the fuss is all about.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness

For once, I agree with al bina...why all the brouhaha ? Undoubtedly someone will represent the Queen of the United Kingdom tomorrow.

It seems the fuss' is intended to paint the Windsors in a bad light, and make it seem as tho' they are too grand to pay respect to other dynasties...
Old 12-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The news is that they are sending no one to attend. That is what the fuss is all about.
Well ... if true, the news is not surprising for me. At the same time, we shall see who will or will not be in attendance.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

HLN reports that the service will be charactarized by 'austerity and simplicity'.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/32325/Konin...oberheid.dhtml

The service will be led by Mgr. Danneels -who was close to the late Queen- and by Archbisshop Andre Leonard. At the service the singer Will Tura will sing (as was mentioned in this thread). Queen Fabiola explicitely asked him to sing a song of hope at the funeral of King Baudouin, so it is fitting that he will sing the same song in this service too. He was contacted by the office of Queen Fabiola and by the office of Queen Mathilde.
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/bi...?eid=1.2177390

These last days 4000 people paid their respects in the palace.
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/bi...?eid=1.2177958

Tags
death, fabiola, queen fabiola