The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #301  
Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bruxelles, Belgium
Posts: 12
Assister aux funérailles de SM la Reine Fabiola cathédrale de Bxl: possible sur inscription auprès du SPF Intérieur protocole@ibz.fgov.be

https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...37624619622400

Uitvaartplechtigheid HM Koningin Fabiola 12/12 in kathedraal bijwonen: mogelijk zich bij Binnenlandse Zaken te melden protocol@ibz.fgov.be

https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...36973713952769

To attend the funeral, you can email: protocole@ibz.fgov.be
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I have a ?
In Belgium, is it customary to leave the coffin open? Don't mean to offend anybody, but to me, that's gross.

I just saw a pic of QF open casket, and it was a little frightening!
@ Maria Olivia- I hope you don't mind my asking, but why were you invited?
Both in the Netherlands (my home country) and in France (my current residence) I always have seen open coffins to bring last respects to a deceased person. Note that we are talking about a lit-de-parade and not about the actual funeral.

Difference however is that in other monarchies, like the Netherlands, the coffin is only open for a select group and not shown to the public. We have not seen Prince Claus, Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard or Prince Friso, only their closed coffin, see picture: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=62027
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
What about Beatrix of the Netherlands? She was very close to both Baudouin and Fabiola. She and Baudouin were good friends as teenagers, there is a terrific photo of them sitting together at a formal ball at Laeken in the late 1950's.
The Royal House has confirmed that Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands will attend the funeral of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola. From the moment of her marriage into the Belgian royal family, the late Fabiola has personally known Beatrix her whole royal life long.

Picture: King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola during the royal wedding in Amsterdam 1966
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 12-10-2014, 08:27 PM
episcogal's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Royal House has confirmed that Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands will attend the funeral of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola. From the moment of her marriage into the Belgian royal family, the late Fabiola has personally known Beatrix her whole royal life long.

Picture: King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola during the royal wedding in Amsterdam 1966
I have probably 100+ pictures of Baudouin, Fabiola, Juliana, Beatrix, etc. but here are just a few. There was always a very strong relationship between the two houses during Baudouin's reign.

Picture 1 * Picture 2 * Picture 3 * Picture 4 * Picture 5 * Picture 6 * Picture 7 * Picture 8 * Picture 9 * Picture 10 * Picture 11 * Picture 12 * Picture 13 * Picture 14 * Picture 15
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 12-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Both in the Netherlands (my home country) and in France (my current residence) I always have seen open coffins to bring last respects to a deceased person. Note that we are talking about a lit-de-parade and not about the actual funeral.

Difference however is that in other monarchies, like the Netherlands, the coffin is only open for a select group and not shown to the public. We have not seen Prince Claus, Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard or Prince Friso, only their closed coffin, see picture: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=62027

In Sweden the coffin is only open a short moment for the family and close relatives to bid a last farewell days before the funeral. After that private ceremony the coffin is imediately closed.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post


It says that it is the number of 10-16 december 2014 on the left. It also talks about the state visit of the king and queen of Sweden to France, which was last week.
Okay thanks Marengo. When I checked the newsstand today they still had the Carla Bruni-Sarkozy issue on the cover!!

PdV used one of my favorite pictures of Fabiola...simply gorgeous.


Duc et Pair, thanks for the photo of Baudouin and Fabiola at Beatrix's wedding. At the time that photo was taken, Queen Fabiola was in the very early weeks of her 4th ill-fated pregnancy. In July of that year-1966-she would deliver a stillborn daughter five months into the pregnancy.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Danishla's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, United States
Posts: 498
Would there be a live internet coverage to watch the funeral ceremonies? If anyone knows please let me know. Thank you.
__________________
Danishla

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 PM
episcogal's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
Would there be a live internet coverage to watch the funeral ceremonies? If anyone knows please let me know. Thank you.
Queen Fabiola Funeral Service Thread at Royal Forums

This has the information you seek.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 12-11-2014, 05:10 AM
lise's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: somewhere in, Australia
Posts: 505
Well I'd like to add my opinion on open coffins since I've been to three funerals in the past month. Only one of the families chose to have a viewing on the morning of the funeral because the death was sudden and they felt it's what they needed to do. The other two deaths were expected so the families were able to spend some time at the hospital with their loved one afterwards so they felt they didn't need a viewing. I'm gald I haven't seen any close ups of Queen Fabiola in her coffin because I find the whole idea of a viewing upseting. I'd rather remember the person as they were and not lying in a coffin.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bruxelles, Belgium
Posts: 12
I was now inside the palace! She looks still very nice.. but very different because of her hair.. if I was not know it is her inside the coffin I was not see it.. ( sorry for my bad english )
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,481
Thanks saintgilles. I have not been able to really see HM's hair in the photos...is it styled at all?

It's lovely that you were able to go and pay your respects.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 12-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,657
According to various sources the British Royals will not send any representative to the funerals :

Funérailles de Fabiola: beaucoup de musique à la cathédrale, le témoignage du personnel à Laeken | Belgique - lesoir.be

If i remember well there was an alleged rift between the two families because the Belgian Court "only" sent the then Prince Albert to the funerals of George VI. Then the presence of "only" Princess Margaret to the 1960 royal wedding was seen as more or less a cold response from the BRF. Finally the exceptionnal attendance of QEII to the funerals of King Baudoin supposedly ended any more trouble between the two families.
We can now only speculate about this (not so surprising ?) decision from the BRF...
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 12-11-2014, 12:23 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 3,702
At the Funerals of King Baudouin the Duke of E came with the green Sash from the Order of Léopard of the republic of Congo....
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
At the Funerals of King Baudouin the Duke of E came with the green Sash from the Order of Léopard of the republic of Congo....
That was an unbelievable gaffe indeed. Yes, some blame it on the valet but would the Duke of Edinburgh himself not know: "Hey... wait a minute, African colours for a Belgian Order? That should be a simple monochrome purple sash?"

Prince Philip with an Order from Zaïre (former Belgian Congo): http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RqcwnIRBkR...uinFuneral.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,402
So would it be better (ie would cause less/more offence) to send a junior royal or no one? Interested as both of these opinions have received criticism from posters.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think someone from UK should attend
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
Queen Fabiola Funeral Service Thread at Royal Forums

This has the information you seek.
NOS Television (the Netherlands) uses to have a livestream on NPO Nieuws | NOS when they have a live broadcast on television. So far the Netherlands are the only foreign country to broadcast the funeral live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
Well I'd like to add my opinion on open coffins since I've been to three funerals in the past month. Only one of the families chose to have a viewing on the morning of the funeral because the death was sudden and they felt it's what they needed to do. The other two deaths were expected so the families were able to spend some time at the hospital with their loved one afterwards so they felt they didn't need a viewing. I'm gald I haven't seen any close ups of Queen Fabiola in her coffin because I find the whole idea of a viewing upseting. I'd rather remember the person as they were and not lying in a coffin.
Isn't it part of life to say goodbye to a loved one, for the last time? To wash him/her tenderly, to dress him/her nicely and to give others the possibility to say farewell? Nothing creepy or upsetting about that. It is someone's mother, son, niece, aunt, grandfather, whatever whom is lying there.

In my country of origin (the Netherlands) and in my present residence (France) it is normal that one or two days before the funeral the deceased can be visited, condoleances can be offered, a vigil can be held. On the day of the funeral itself the coffin will be closed, for ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintgilles View Post
I was now inside the palace! She looks still very nice.. but very different because of her hair.. if I was not know it is her inside the coffin I was not see it.. ( sorry for my bad english )
I can imagine it that the bouffante hairdo we all know will not 'hold it' for a couple of days. The 'panorama' on Fabiola is also different: not seeing her en profil or en face, but lying horizontal. That makes that someone has a total different appearance indeed. It is wonderful that you paid your respects to the old Queen. Was the chapelle ardente nice? On the pictures it looks so light (I am used to dimmed lights when visiting a deceased person).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
So would it be better (ie would cause less/more offence) to send a junior royal or no one? Interested as both of these opinions have received criticism from posters.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think someone from UK should attend
Well, of course "just a junior royal" probably would cause some criticism, but after all there was someone representing Her Majesty....

Note that Elizabeth von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (known as "Windsor") has no interest in Fabiola von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (known as "de Belgique") née De Mora y Aragón.... It is not only about a royal in a neighbouring state, it is even a relative inside her royal dynasty...

Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bruxelles, Belgium
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I can imagine it that the bouffante hairdo we all know will not 'hold it' for a couple of days. The 'panorama' on Fabiola is also different: not seeing her en profil or en face, but lying horizontal. That makes that someone has a total different appearance indeed. It is wonderful that you paid your respects to the old Queen. Was the chapelle ardente nice? On the pictures it looks so light (I am used to dimmed lights when visiting a deceased person).

Yes, it is much light inside..she is not in a Chapelle, but the room where she lays is very nice with much flowers.. it's the room directly behind the balcony in the middle of the palace...
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 PM
PrincessofEurope's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: *, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,196
I would like to think someone from the British royal family would attend - it would be a snub if no-one did. It should be either Charles or Phillip - at the end of the day this was a former Queen.


When Elizabeth and Phillip die - royal houses from round the world will send representatives, and cause of the profile of the queen and doe it would mostly likely be a monarch or consort - therefore it seems natural that the british royal family should show the same level of respect that other royals show them and send a major figure to Fabiola's funeral
__________________
This is the stuff of fairytales

Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 12-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I would like to think someone from the British royal family would attend - it would be a snub if no-one did. It should be either Charles or Phillip - at the end of the day this was a former Queen.


When Elizabeth and Phillip die - royal houses from round the world will send representatives, and cause of the profile of the queen and doe it would mostly likely be a monarch or consort - therefore it seems natural that the british royal family should show the same level of respect that other royals show them and send a major figure to Fabiola's funeral

That would be a real snub and a very bad sign of "we hate the belgian royal family and as we are much more important than them we don't need to socialise with people who are so much below us" .

I mean come on ! They must be able to act mature and leave the 1950:s behind them. I don't care if they send a senior royal or a junior one as long as there is someone there to represent Her Majesty. If they wanna continue in this style then the other royal families should stay home from the future funerals of QEII and DoE to mark it is not ok to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,925
I think we will see someone from the British royal family. They have so many people: the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Gloucester, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael of Kent, I am sure someone will represent Her Majesty.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
death, fabiola, queen fabiola


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Fabiola Jewellery Hannelore Royal Jewels 265 11-26-2016 10:02 AM
King Baudouin I and Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón: 15 December 1960 Cathérine Bergeyck Royal Weddings 156 08-31-2016 04:55 PM
Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014 JessRulz Royal Family of Belgium 413 05-01-2015 04:35 PM
Death Threats for Queen Fabiola; 2009-2010 LadyLeana Royal Family of Belgium 34 03-30-2011 06:11 AM
Queen Fabiola News and Pictures Alexandria Current Events Archive 145 04-13-2006 03:35 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stephanie queen elizabeth 90 birthday queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion satan september 2016 sheikh hamdan bin mohammed state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises