The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Majesty

Okay...against my better judgment I looked at a closeup of Queen Fabiola's face on another site. Her mouth is definitely not open. But she is drawn and ghostly white, as white as the satin coffin lining. She seems to be wearing no makeup. She looks like someone who has been very ill for a very long time. I would not have recognized HM at all if I didn't already know it was her.

COUNTESS, Sancia, and everyone else who has had the experience of seeing a loved one pass peacefully and then had a look at them again after the mortician made his "improvements"...I am very sorry. I know your experience well, because I went through it with my father years ago. I am still traumatized by it.

Marengo...please, who is Thierry Debels? What is he saying? Why does he have an axe to grind with QF? And even so, what kind of creep would gloat over the death of a frail old woman who has tried to help others??

Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Moonmaiden, I think I just needed to say the things I did. Just grief.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
To Marengo, An Ard Ri and others.
On Thursday I may go to the Secretary Service of the Cathedral . They have a place for me inside the Cathedral for HM Queen Fabiola 's Funerals.
As I have to attend very early the Funerals, I booked one night in a 5 Star Hotel....the first time of my life!
It seems wrong to say "I hope you enjoy it" but I hope the service is everything that Queen Fabiola wanted. A time to mourn but also a time of such joy to the faithful. May God go with you.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
She was there :

I do hope indeed there will be someone from the direct line.
This is my YouTube account. I'm Lellobeetle on other forums - don't know why I didn't just use it here. Anyway...I collect together Fabiola/Baudouin videos that I've scrounged around the internet for, so if you want to see some of the 115 videos I've got - some I've created myself and some from others - Here's the Playlist address:

Baudouin/Fabiola YouTube Playlist

I also have a B/F pinterest board with some interesting tid-bits.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Kjell Arne Totland has twittered that King Harald of Norway and his sister, Princess Astrid will attend the funeral:

https://twitter.com/TV2KjellArne/sta...06792462860288
Confirmation from the Norwegian Court:
kongehuset.no - Offisielt program

"H.M. Kongen og Prinsesse Astrid, fru Ferner deltar ved gravferden til Dronning Fabiola av Belgia, Brussels (10.00)."
Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 AM
Majesty

What about Beatrix of the Netherlands? She was very close to both Baudouin and Fabiola. She and Baudouin were good friends as teenagers, there is a terrific photo of them sitting together at a formal ball at Laeken in the late 1950's.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Marengo...please, who is Thierry Debels? What is he saying? Why does he have an axe to grind with QF? And even so, what kind of creep would gloat over the death of a frail old woman who has tried to help others??
isn't he the one who wrote a, not very flattering, biography of King Boudewijn?

eta: if anyone wants to discuss that content, than maybe that would be better in another thread, as i could imagine that Q.Fabiola was not thrilled about the book
Old 12-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Majesty

Thanks so much Lee-Z

Yes, we will discuss this man and his bio of the late king. But some other time in another thread...
Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
This is my YouTube account. I'm Lellobeetle on other forums - don't know why I didn't just use it here. Anyway...I collect together Fabiola/Baudouin videos that I've scrounged around the internet for, so if you want to see some of the 115 videos I've got - some I've created myself and some from others - Here's the Playlist address:

Baudouin/Fabiola YouTube Playlist

I also have a B/F pinterest board with some interesting tid-bits.
Thanks. That is great. i remember wachting the fuenral of King Baudouin live on german TV but did not record it as i have done for all other major royal Events.
With Queen Fabiola's funeral it seems i can not record it as it will most likel not broadcasted on german TV and i can not receive the belgian Channels. Hopefully the Coverage will be later online as i have to work at the time iof the funeral so no or little Chance to follow the Livestram.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Thanks. That is great. i remember wachting the fuenral of King Baudouin live on german TV but did not record it as i have done for all other major royal Events.
With Queen Fabiola's funeral it seems i can not record it as it will most likel not broadcasted on german TV and i can not receive the belgian Channels. Hopefully the Coverage will be later online as i have to work at the time iof the funeral so no or little Chance to follow the Livestram.
I'm surprised to hear that the funeral not will be broadcasted on German television, I thought the German media was very interested in royal events.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I'm surprised to hear that the funeral not will be broadcasted on German television, I thought the German media was very interested in royal events.
At last nothing is known about a broadcast until now. I suppose the Belgian RF ist not interesting enough. The abidcation last year was also not brodcasted live on german TV only a summary later that day but luckily it was shown by austrian ORF2 Europe which i can also receive.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

The swedish royal court updated their calendar
King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attend the funeral
H.M. Konung Carl XVI Gustaf - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Old 12-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
COUNTESS, Sancia, and everyone else who has had the experience of seeing a loved one pass peacefully and then had a look at them again after the mortician made his "improvements"...I am very sorry. I know your experience well, because I went through it with my father years ago. I am still traumatized by it.
Thank you Moonmaiden. I am sorry for you too :(
Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The swedish royal court updated their calendar
King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attend the funeral
H.M. Konung Carl XVI Gustaf - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Thanks for the update Lady Finn.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

Yes, but not in general. Queen Fabiola is, due to the fact that her husband the King has died such a long time ago, hardly known to germans.
I guess there were only a few people watching. Besides of that, german television had to pay a large sum to belgian national television for something the average german doesn´t know or care about.

Things were of course very different if a current reigning monarch would have died or a major royal from the british royal family...
The belgian monarchy as such isn´t very present in the german mind while everyone seems to know WA, Máxima and Beatrix. I´m sure when Prss Beatrix might die some day, even if she won´t be Queen for a long time by then, the german TV will naturally cover the event (The same goes for Juan Carlos and Sofia)!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

No official confirmation, but according to the magazine Hola, King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia will attend the funeral of Queen Fabiola

Los reyes Felipe y Letizia y la reina Sofía asistirán al funeral de la reina Fabiola de Bélgica
Old 12-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

With regard to television coverage, the Euronews channel on Sky, Freeview etc may have some reasonably good live coverage - I'll check on Friday, otherwise it will have to be live stream.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
No official confirmation, but according to the magazine Hola, King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia will attend the funeral of Queen Fabiola

Los reyes Felipe y Letizia y la reina Sofía asistirán al funeral de la reina Fabiola de Bélgica
Thank you for the link. It remains to be known who will represent the British royal family.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
Thank you Moonmaiden. I am sorry for you too :(
Hi Sancia,

Will the funeral be broadcast on French television? Will President Hollande attend? He never met QF but made a lovely statement upon her death.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Royal Highness

These have confirmed that they will attend the funeral of Queen Fabiola

UK?
Netherlands?
Spain King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.
Japan Empress Michiko.
Norway King Harald V and Princess Astrid.
Denmark Queen Margrethe II.
Sweden King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia.
Luxembourg Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Grand Duke Jean, Guillaume, Stephanie and other members of the family.

Tags
death, fabiola, queen fabiola