The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Juan Carlos and Sofia of Spain? Together? That does surprise me...
Why would that be surprising ?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Majesty

Because I haven't seen them together abroad at an official event in so long I have forgotten what it looks like.

Just as I feared, they opened the queen's coffin but thankfully you can't really see her in the photos. And I feel terribly sad for Mathilde and Philippe .

Belga Image - Editorial

Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I like that there are no flowers or flags because if that's the kind of person Fabiola was then its nice to reflect that even in death.
I assume the coffin will be draped with the Belgian national flag during the funeral mass.

Quote:
Andrew or Edward do not have engagements that day so they could represent the Queen if Philip or Charles cannot go. I don't thinking sending Andrew or Edward is a "low representation" as they are children of a reigning monarch. Others of course may think it is, but Elizabeth sends her youngest son to Royal weddings so why not send another son to a funeral?
I tend to think Andrew or Edward would be "low representation" considering it is the funeral of a queen consort.

If the news is accurate, all other European royal houses apparently will be represented either by the current monarch and his/her consort (Denmark, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden), or by a former monarch who has abdicated (Spain, the Netherlands).
Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Gentry

Forgive me, my comment is not meant to give offense, but rather to express incredulity. The coffin is open and the queen does not seem to have hair and makeup done. Neither is her mouth closed.

I guess every country has its own traditions and I can't know what her wishes were for her final rest. Perhaps it is a wish to go to god with no earthly pretense or vanity.

I guess I am just surprised that she wouldn't have wanted to face the public for the last time as she had in life.

I am glad the photos are from a distance and at an angle.

Will they close before the public are allowed to file past?

Ana

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Ana von Cleves, I am surprised to read that. In her 50+ years of public life there was never a time when Queen Fabiola appeared in public looking less than immaculate. If she looks the way you describe her, I hope they close the coffin.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Gentry

Yes this is my point exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw the photos as the photos are taken , we can not see the face of Queen Fabiola.
I am not surprised , it is the habit of many monarchies to let the coffin open.
I remember that the former queen Elisabeth had no hair and no make up done. and even when Queen Astrid was dead by accident, the coffin was open and it was worse
The coffin will be close just before the mass on next friday.

it is the habit of the family to let the coffin opened,
Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

You can see how this has affected King Phillipe. I feel Queen Fabiola was more than an aunt to him, his youngest child has Fabiola as a middle name yet he didn't give either of his daughters his own mothers name.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Because I haven't seen them together abroad at an official event in so long I have forgotten what it looks like.

They were together at an event last week in Madrid at the Palacio Real and to be honest I'd expect to see them there together more so than Felipe and Letizia as they are part of the old guard of royals who all knew each other.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Majesty

Yes, good point, you are exactly right.

Queen Fabiola seems to have been not only loved within the BRF, but revered. I saw a photo of Mathilde in tears,which was very moving as she is the most composed and serene of all the Royal women.

melina-premiere..you are right. It seems totally in keeping with the philosophy of the BRF and with QF herself to commit her to her tomb "bare". It's just startling to me as she was always perfectly coiffed and made up in public. She seems to be dressed in off white and is very pale. She has her rosary beads entwined through her hands of course.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I assume the coffin will be draped with the Belgian national flag during the funeral mass.
If the do it like at King Baudouions funeral not the entire coffin will be drapped in the belgian flag but it will be wrapped around it at one End of the coffin.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Clip: deredactie.be video: Koninklijke familie brengt laatste groet aan lichaam Fabiola
Old 12-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Majesty

I see an image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at the head of the bier, and there is also a blowup photo nearby of Baudouin and Fabiola in their youth, lovely.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The King,Queen and Princess Astrid looked upset,who were the last few mourners ,perhaps members of Queen Fabiola's family?
Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The King,Queen and Princess Astrid looked upset,who were the last few mourners ,perhaps members of Queen Fabiola's family?
second to last group were Princes Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg (Arch-duchess of Austria), Princes Margaretha of Luxembourg and her husband Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein.
(Q.Fabiola was their aunt; the mother of both princesses being GD. Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, sister to King Boudewijn)
Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Majesty

Yes, I think it was members of the extended Mora family.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
second to last group were Princes Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg (Arch-duchess of Austria), Princes Margaretha of Luxembourg and her husband Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein.
(Q.Fabiola was their aunt; the mother of both princesses being GD. Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, sister to King Boudewijn)
Thanks Lee-Z,I did recognize Archduchess Marie-Astrid and Princes Margaretha of Luxembourg,but hadn't a clue who she was married to.The last 2 ladies also made me think they were members of the Mora family.

Belga Photos

http://portal.belgaimage.be/editorial/coverage/4906994
Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I am reading that the queen left special instructions for her funeral and that she wants things to be as joyous and as "happy" as the liturgy will allow. And being familiar with Cardinal Danneel's reputation, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an...unusual Requiem, to put it mildly.

I cannot warm to the idea of adults wearing white to a Funeral Mass but by God if that's what HM wanted then that is what she should have.
<snip>
If it helps you to think of it this way, as an Episcopalian, we believe the liturgy of the dead to be an Easter Liturgy - one of hope and resurrection.

Here's a quote to explain:
Quote:
“The liturgy for the dead is an Easter liturgy. It finds all its meaning in the resurrection. Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we, too, shall be raised. The liturgy, therefore, is characterized by joy, in the certainty that ‘neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.’

This joy, however, does not make human grief unchristian. The very love we have for each other in Christ brings deep sorrow when we are parted by death. Jesus himself wept at the grave of his friend. So, while we rejoice that one we love has entered into the nearer presence of our Lord, we sorrow in sympathy with those who mourn.” (BCP 507)
Both Queen Wilhelmina and Queen Juliana believe this to be true and when you experience that in communion with other mourners, it can be so utterly powerful and uniting. Some of the best services of hope and love I've been to have been funerals, believe it or not. It's a beautiful send-off for a most devout believer in the surety of the resurrection promise God shares with us.

Just wanted to explain where I was coming from with that thought, my friend.

From Thierry Debels:

thierry debels ‏@thierryd 3h3 hours ago Brussels
gecontesteerde ex-koning Juan Carlos van Spanje zou begrafenis van landgenote @FabiolaKoningin vrijdag niet bijwonen... #wandelgang #FB

In English:
ex-King Juan Carlos of Spain would funeral of compatriot @FabiolaKoningin friday not attend ... #Walkway #FB

I really thought Juan Carlos would find some reason to blow it off. I hope this is not true and I thoroughly admit that Debels is the LEAST reliable of sources, but I saw that and just had to pass it along.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
If it helps you to think of it this way, as an Episcopalian, we believe the liturgy of the dead to be an Easter Liturgy - one of hope and resurrection.

Here's a quote to explain:Both Queen Wilhelmina and Queen Juliana believe this to be true and when you experience that in communion with other mourners, it can be so utterly powerful and uniting. Some of the best services of hope and love I've been to have been funerals, believe it or not. It's a beautiful send-off for a most devout believer in the surety of the resurrection promise God shares with us.

Just wanted to explain where I was coming from with that thought, my friend.
I saw parts of Queen Juliana's funeral service on the Dutch Royal House channel and I must say I found it quite uninspiring. I am not familiar though with Dutch Reformed (Presbyterian) liturgy, which differs greatly from the more traditional Roman Catholic, Anglican (Episcopalian), or Lutheran services.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale...type=1&theater

Tags
death, fabiola, queen fabiola