The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I cannot warm to the idea of adults wearing white to a Funeral Mass but by God if that's what HM wanted then that is what she should have.
I agree with you Moonie, while I'm a bit of an anarchist myself when it comes to certain things and doesn't let people's opinions stop me from doing what I feel is the right thing for me in life I'm a stickler to tradition when it comes to funerals- Wear your best black (or darkish) suit, as a man know when to wear a white or black tie, lower your head at the last goodbye and don't laugh when the woman-who-took-all-those-singing-lessons-but-only-ended-up-as-a-funeral-singer-but-still-think-she's-at-The-Met (coffin larks as we call them) sings a funeral hymn about the afterlife. Then again I just labeled myself as an anarchist royalist so it might be me that's the wrong one out and not everyone else...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 12-09-2014, 03:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The Empress of Japan, Michiko will attaned the funeral of Queen Fabiola.
Japanse keizerin Michiko woont begrafenis Fabiola bij

Old 12-09-2014, 03:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Netherlands I think Princess Beatrix

Monaco, i think Prince Albert will be present

Great Britain the comte and countess of Essex
Spain : King juan Carlos and queen Sophia of Spain.
Norway, king Harald and queen Sonia

Sweden perhaps the king Carl Gustav and queen Sylvia of Sweden.

And former empress Farah .
Old 12-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

' The last wishes of Fabiola will not be honoured'

According to Benoit Lobet the queen said that she did not want a large service at the St. Michel & St Gudele but only a small service at the church of Laeken. She also did not want to lie in state. She told Lobert that she ordered a very ugly casket for that purpose: 'they wouldn't dare to show that to the public'.

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20141209_01419589

Laatste wensen van koningin Fabiola niet ingewilligd - HLN.be
Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
For those who read French, the blog 'royalement' has a rather interesting article about the Queen. For those who do not read French, they also posted some pictures that I have seldom seen. Among them a photo of Baudouin, Fabiola and Juan-Carlos and Sofia in 1977:

Royalement Blog: La reine Fabiola (1928-2014)
Incredible article! A bit long but definitely worth of being read.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I cannot warm to the idea of adults wearing white to a Funeral Mass but by God if that's what HM wanted then that is what she should have.
White mourning is actually a sign of deepest respect and an ancient royal tradition as explained by the Wikipedia quote below:

"The color of deepest mourning among medieval European queens was white. In 1393, Parisians were treated to the unusual spectacle of a royal funeral carried out in white, for Leo V, King of Armenia, who died in exile.[2] This royal tradition survived in Spain until the end of the fifteenth century. In 1993, it was revived by the Spanish-born Queen Fabiola for the funeral of her husband, King Baudouin I of Belgium. Additionally, in 2004, the four daughters of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands all wore white to their mother's funeral. The custom for the Queens of France to wear deuil blanc [white mourning] was the origin of the White Wardrobe created in 1938 by Norman Hartnell for Queen Elizabeth (later called Queen Mother). She was required to make a State visit to France while in mourning for her mother."

Mourning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I would not count on seeing the duke of Edinburgh in Brussels Friday. If it's not Prince Charles, I am not sure whom it will be.
I am still hoping the DoE will attend as he is the most suitable member of the BRF for a queen consort's funeral. If he cannot go, the PoW should attend.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
White mourning is actually a sign of deepest respect and an ancient royal tradition as explained by the Wikipedia quote below:

"The color of deepest mourning among medieval European queens was white. In 1393, Parisians were treated to the unusual spectacle of a royal funeral carried out in white, for Leo V, King of Armenia, who died in exile.[2] This royal tradition survived in Spain until the end of the fifteenth century. In 1993, it was revived by the Spanish-born Queen Fabiola for the funeral of her husband, King Baudouin I of Belgium. Additionally, in 2004, the four daughters of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands all wore white to their mother's funeral. The custom for the Queens of France to wear deuil blanc [white mourning] was the origin of the White Wardrobe created in 1938 by Norman Hartnell for Queen Elizabeth (later called Queen Mother). She was required to make a State visit to France while in mourning for her mother."

Mourning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am still hoping the DoE will attend as he is the most suitable member of the BRF for a queen consort's funeral. If he cannot go, the PoW should attend.
I do hope Charles and Camilla attend the funeral. I just do not think it is right for the DoE to have to undertake these duties now.

Apart from the Luxembourg royals, Queen Margarethe and Empress Michiko, have their been any other confirmations of the attendance of other foreign royals?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Administrator

No, but several reporters are twittering that the Swedish and Norwegian kings have made some changes in their agendas, which makes people think that they will attend the funeral. In Norway the Crown Prince has taken over an engagement of his father on Friday, while in Sweden a meeting with the king has been cancelled.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
No, but several reporters are twittering that the Swedish and Norwegian kings have made some changes in their agendas, which makes people think that they will attend the funeral. In Norway the Crown Prince has taken over an engagement of his father on Friday, while in Sweden a meeting with the king has been cancelled.
Queen Maxima has other scheduled engangements on Friday, so I assume she won't attend the funeral.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think rather that Princess Beatrix will attend the funeral bacause she knew more queen Fabiola than her daughter in law and she was very friendly with the former queen of Belgium.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I agree with you Moonie, while I'm a bit of an anarchist myself when it comes to certain things and doesn't let people's opinions stop me from doing what I feel is the right thing for me in life I'm a stickler to tradition when it comes to funerals- Wear your best black (or darkish) suit, as a man know when to wear a white or black tie, lower your head at the last goodbye and don't laugh when the woman-who-took-all-those-singing-lessons-but-only-ended-up-as-a-funeral-singer-but-still-think-she's-at-The-Met (coffin larks as we call them) sings a funeral hymn about the afterlife. Then again I just labeled myself as an anarchist royalist so it might be me that's the wrong one out and not everyone else...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I feel the same, JR! I was hoping that the mourners would be attired the same as they were for Alix, Comtesse de Lannoy's (mother of HGD Stephanie) funeral a couple of years ago. The men in their cutaway suits and the adult women in their mantillas looked very elegant. But true to herself, Queen Fabiola wore neither mantilla nor black to that Requiem Mass. She wore an ivory pants suit. So there you have it!

melina-premiere, I agree with muriel that Prince Philip is past the age where he should be expected to travel abroad to attend funerals, but I cannot believe QEII would send the Wessexes either. Edward and Sophie are among my favorite royals, but frankly they are not "senior" enough for this event. If the Empress of Japan is coming, then the Prince of Wales or the Duchess of Cornwall should too.

Marengo-that story about Queen Fabiola deliberately ordering an ugly coffin for herself to discourage a lavish funeral and lying-in-State gave me the first good laugh I have had since hearing that she passed away Friday! That lady was a noblewoman to her teeth, but no one can ever say she was not an original. I will miss her.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

I was quite taken aback to hear that Empress MichiKo will be attending Queen Fabiola's funeral - it will be a long and sad journey for her to take. However, it is testimony to the importance of this event.
This brings me to my thoughts on who will attend from the British royal family. Initially I thought that if the Empress can travel all the way to Belgium then Prince Philip can certainly make the journey, which is a very short one. But more than that, although I agree Philip is elderly and must be careful of his health, we must be mindful of his own fortitude and sense of duty and, ultimately, if he wants to go to his friend's funeral he will surely go whether his doctors or advisors like it or not! We will have to wait and see.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Courtier

The telegram that Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, sent to the King of the Belgians:

“À Sa Majesté le Roi des Belges,

Profondement peiné par la nouvelle du décès de la Reine Fabiola, j’envoie mes sincères condoléances. Que Dieu veuille recevoir son âme dans la gloire eternelle, c’est que je Lui demande en mes prières.

D. Luiz de Orleans e Bragança”

"To His Majesty The King of the Belgians

Deeply saddened by the news of the death of Queen Fabiola, I send my sincere condolences. May God receive her soul in His eternal glory, that is what I ask in my prayers.

D. Luiz de Orleans e Bragança"

The Head of the Imperial House said he never met Queen Fabiola personally, but they wrote letters to each other, especially at Christmas time.

It was also confirmed that the Prince and Princess of Ligne will attend the funeral. Prince Antonio and Princess Christine are still not sure if they'll be able to travel to Belgium, so the Head of the Imperial House asked his younger sister, the Princess of Ligne, to represent him.

Source: Pró Monarquia

https://www.facebook.com/promonarqui...type=1&theater
Old 12-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

On this blog, there are the royals who will be présents at the funeral

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...91994364201773

Photos of the coffin arriving at the royal palace of bruxelles

https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...127296/photo/1

There is no flag and no many flowers on the coffin.

an article and a video

Décès de la reine Fabiola: le cercueil a été transféré au Palais - RTBF Societe
Old 12-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Majesty

Juan Carlos and Sofia of Spain? Together? That does surprise me...
Old 12-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I wonder where the blog gets the information from. i can't find any confirmation from The Hague, neither do I see any royalty journalist twittering about it. Not that the attendences listed are very surprising. JC and Sofia did attend some Dutch funerals together, and considering the close bonds between the Spanish royal couple and Baudouin & Fabiola their attendence is rather likely.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Photos of the coffin arriving at the royal palace of bruxelles

https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...127296/photo/1

There is no flag and no many flowers on the coffin.
I am rather surprised that there is no Belgian flag, or at least her personal standard. But perhaps QF wanted it plain and unadorned. And despite the news that she wanted an ugly coffin, that one appears rather elegant and tasteful.

But it's seems soo tiny...almost like that of a child.....
Old 12-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, no flag and no flowers, but i am not surprised , it is in the personality of Queen Fabiola but it is so sad, other photos

La dépouille de la reine Fabiola repose désormais au Palais royal de Bruxelles - La Libre.be
Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I like that there are no flowers or flags because if that's the kind of person Fabiola was then its nice to reflect that even in death.

With regards to Royal representatives I think its highly likely Charles will cancel his engagements to attend, although I think if he is going to do that it would be polite for him to announce his cancelled engagements sooner. The companies they visit spend months planning the visits and its only polite to say they wont be attending sooner rather than the day before.

Andrew or Edward do not have engagements that day so they could represent the Queen if Philip or Charles cannot go. I don't thinking sending Andrew or Edward is a "low representation" as they are children of a reigning monarch. Others of course may think it is, but Elizabeth sends her youngest son to Royal weddings so why not send another son to a funeral?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Majesty

If Belgian Royal tradition is followed, HM's coffin will be open for the viewing. And I dread seeing it. I can't forget when I saw photos of King Baudouin lying in State. He didn't even look like the same man!

Tags
death, fabiola, queen fabiola