Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm surprised to hear that the funeral not will be broadcasted on German television, I thought the German media was very interested in royal events.
At last nothing is known about a broadcast until now. I suppose the Belgian RF ist not interesting enough. The abidcation last year was also not brodcasted live on german TV only a summary later that day but luckily it was shown by austrian ORF2 Europe which i can also receive.

COUNTESS, Sancia, and everyone else who has had the experience of seeing a loved one pass peacefully and then had a look at them again after the mortician made his "improvements"...I am very sorry. I know your experience well, because I went through it with my father years ago. I am still traumatized by it.

Thank you Moonmaiden. I am sorry for you too :(

I'm surprised to hear that the funeral not will be broadcasted on German television, I thought the German media was very interested in royal events.

Yes, but not in general. Queen Fabiola is, due to the fact that her husband the King has died such a long time ago, hardly known to germans.
I guess there were only a few people watching. Besides of that, german television had to pay a large sum to belgian national television for something the average german doesn´t know or care about.

Things were of course very different if a current reigning monarch would have died or a major royal from the british royal family...:whistling:
The belgian monarchy as such isn´t very present in the german mind while everyone seems to know WA, Máxima and Beatrix. I´m sure when Prss Beatrix might die some day, even if she won´t be Queen for a long time by then, the german TV will naturally cover the event (The same goes for Juan Carlos and Sofia)!

Last edited:
With regard to television coverage, the Euronews channel on Sky, Freeview etc may have some reasonably good live coverage - I'll check on Friday, otherwise it will have to be live stream.

Thank you Moonmaiden. I am sorry for you too :(

Hi Sancia,

Will the funeral be broadcast on French television? Will President Hollande attend? He never met QF but made a lovely statement upon her death.

These have confirmed that they will attend the funeral of Queen Fabiola

UK?
Netherlands?
Spain King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.
Japan Empress Michiko.
Norway King Harald V and Princess Astrid.
Denmark Queen Margrethe II.
Sweden King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia.
Luxembourg Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Grand Duke Jean, Guillaume, Stephanie and other members of the family.

Last edited:

UK?
Netherlands?
Spain?
Japan Empress Michiko.
Luxembourg Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Grand Duke Jean, Guillaume, Stephanie and other members of the family.

Belgian Newspapers stated as official that princess Beatrix would come, as well as King Felipe with his mother Queen Sofia. Strange that it is not confirmed if they write it (it's on the paper version, not even on their website)

:previous:

It says that it is the number of 10-16 december 2014 on the left. It also talks about the state visit of the king and queen of Sweden to France, which was last week.

Last edited:
It's gorgeous but is that a current cover?? It reads "Farewell to a legendary Queen" but the rest of the cover is discussing royals who have passed on....also the format is old.

It's the new cover.

Prince Moulay Rachid will represent his brother King Mohammed VI at queen Fabiola's funeral

I got my personal Invitation I have to show Friday with my ID card?
Entrance since 8 .30 until 9.00
Tenue sombre de ville,
Pour les militaires : tenue de cérémonie 2B
Pour les Magistrats : toge
Sans décoration.

Koningin Fabiola

This article says that King Juan Carlos will attend together with Queen Sofia, while another article says that King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia will attend.

I have a ?
In Belgium, is it customary to leave the coffin open? Don't mean to offend anybody, but to me, that's gross.

I just saw a pic of QF open casket, and it was a little frightening!
@ Maria Olivia- I hope you don't mind my asking, but why were you invited?

Last edited by a moderator:
The funerals that I often went to, all of them had the coffin open, well here in Portugal, I don't know about Belgium. Maybe it's a catholic thing? Tradition? Can't tell.

Not only in Belgium or Portugal. Every time I went to offer condoleances the coffin was open, at least the upper part. And most times I went to protestant or non-religious funerals in The Netherlands.

I don't understand what is so 'gross' about it. Death is part of life and it is a matter of respect to say farewell in such a way.

Last edited:
Gross was probably the wrong word- just couldn't think of the right one!

Is that the first we've heard of something happening on the Thursday? None of the other foreign royal seem to be attending that (unless they've just not made it public).

UK?
Netherlands?
Spain King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.
Japan Empress Michiko.

Dutch media has confirmed that from the dutch RF P.Beatrix will attend the funeral

Just read that she left all her possessions to a charity she set up when she married. So does that mean jewelry too? Do we think that there is any chance she gave some of it away before she died?

According to the official website of the UK Royal Family, both the Prince of Walees & the Princess Royal have engagements on Friday. With Charles otherwise engaged, it would seem likely that the Duke of Edinburgh may represent the Queen, his health permitting.

Back
Top Bottom