The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

For those who read French, the blog 'royalement' has a rather interesting article about the Queen. For those who do not read French, they also posted some pictures that I have seldom seen. Among them a photo of Baudouin, Fabiola and Juan-Carlos and Sofia in 1977:

Royalement Blog: La reine Fabiola (1928-2014)

And there is also this old article / biography from TRF / LadyLeana:
Queen Fabiola: the Woman Behind the Hairdo

Two days ago the hairdresser of Q. Fabiola was interviewed by the radio and newspapers. He was her hairdresser since 1967 and would work on the most famous hairdo of the country until the end. He remembered how cheerful she was: 'her laugh would fill the entire castle'. He saw her last 1 1/2 month ago and by then it was clear that she would soon be passing away. He mentions also that only once he suggested a different hairstyle, a suggestion that was met with a firm 'no'.

Kapper Fabiola: 'Die ondulaties had ze van nature' | Radio1

Old 12-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Have any foreign royals confirmed their attendance at the Funeral Mass for Queen Fabiola on Friday?
For Denmark it will be the Queen
"H. M. Queen participates in H.M. Queen Fabiola funeral in Brussels Cathedral, Belgium pm. 10:00."

Old 12-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Courtier

On Saturday, the official Facebook page of Pró Monarquia, secretariat of the Imperial House of Brazil, released the following statement:

https://www.facebook.com/promonarqui...type=1&theater

"It is with great sadness that Pró Monarquia, Secretariat of the Imperial House of Brazil, transmit the news of the passing of Queen Fabiola of Belgium, widow of King Baudouin of the Belgians and aunt of King Philippe.

Queen Fabiola, born in an aristocratic spanish family, as Doña Fabila de Mora y Aragón, became Queen of the Belgians in 1960, after she married King Baudouin. As Queen consort, she stayed by her husband's side until 1993, when the King died unexpectedly. Sadly, the couple never had children, and the Belgian Crown passed to her brother-in-law, King Albert II.

As Dowager Queen of Belgium, she played a notable role with charities. Since 2009, she was suffering from a pneumonia she never truly recovered from, besides osteoporosis. She died yesterday at the age of 86. The Royal House of Belgium released the following statement:

'Their Majesties The King and Queen and following members of the Royal Family anounce, with great sadness, the death of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola, tonigh, in Brussels.'

The Imperial House of Brazil sends it's condolences to the Belgian Royal House and the Belgian people, transmitting it's feeling towards such a caring and religious Queen."

Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, also sent a personal message to the King of the Belgians.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Henri, Maria Teresa, Jean, Guillaume, Stephanie and other memeber of the Grand Ducal family will attend the funeral.

Source: place Royale
Old 12-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Letter of condolence sent by King Michael of Romania
Scrisoarea de condoleanțe adresată de Regele Mihai la aflarea veștii trecerii la cele veșnice a Reginei Fabiola a belgienilor Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Old 12-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

According to the abbott Benoit Lobet, Fabiola was looking forward to her death and the reconsiliation that she expected with her husband. The funeral service will be a celebration of her life, even festive as far as protocol allows. She wanted a cheerful funeral.

A dame d'honneur said that Fabiola predicted her own death for 6 months. She was praying for weeks, and each time announced that it would be her last 2 or 3 days: 'she thought about nothing else than of dying and being reconsiled with her husband'.

http://nos.nl/artikel/2007904-koning...egrafenis.html

Feestelijke begrafenis Fabiola | Prive | Telegraaf.nl

http://www.rtbf.be/video/detail_temo...ola?id=1976410
Old 12-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Serene Highness

When is the funural ?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancakli70 View Post
When is the funural ?
Friday, December 12th
Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
For those who read French, the blog 'royalement' has a rather interesting article about the Queen. For those who do not read French, they also posted some pictures that I have seldom seen. Among them a photo of Baudouin, Fabiola and Juan-Carlos and Sofia in 1977:

Royalement Blog: La reine Fabiola (1928-2014)

And there is also this old article / biography from TRF / LadyLeana:
Queen Fabiola: the Woman Behind the Hairdo

Two days ago the hairdresser of Q. Fabiola was interviewed by the radio and newspapers. He was her hairdresser since 1967 and would work on the most famous hairdo of the country until the end. He remembered how cheerful she was: 'her laugh would fill the entire castle'. He saw her last 1 1/2 month ago and by then it was clear that she would soon be passing away. He mentions also that only once he suggested a different hairstyle, a suggestion that was met with a firm 'no'.

Kapper Fabiola: 'Die ondulaties had ze van nature' | Radio1

Thanks much Marengo, for posting this. The late queen would also astonish her hairdressers by doing two or three things at once while they were tending to her...dictating to a secretary, looking at sketches from designers, and conversing with them all in a variety of different languages.

Fabiola was a quintessential Gemini!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Fabiola's body moved to castle chapel ahead of her funeral in Brussels | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Majesty

I am a little confused. The DM article says that Queen Fabiola's remains will be in the palatine chapel at Laeken until her funeral Mass on Friday. But the DM article says she will be moved to the Palace of Brussels on Wednesday to lie in state?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Aristocracy

There is a blond haired young man sitting behind Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip during the King's funeral? Was it a young Willem-Alexander?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Majesty

Yes, that was indeed a young W-A!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am a little confused. The DM article says that Queen Fabiola's remains will be in the palatine chapel at Laeken until her funeral Mass on Friday. But the DM article says she will be moved to the Palace of Brussels on Wednesday to lie in state?
I understand that you get confused, the mail is a very confusing newspaper.

Queen Fabiola's remains will be moved to the royal palace today, and lie in state wednesday and thursday. The funeral is on friday.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes, that was indeed a young W-A!
Thank you!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I understand that you get confused, the mail is a very confusing newspaper.

Queen Fabiola's remains will be moved to the royal palace today, and lie in state wednesday and thursday. The funeral is on friday.
Okay, thank you! By the way by "today" I assume you mean Tuesday the 9th of December? It is still Monday evening on the Pacific coast of the U.S.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Okay, thank you! By the way by "today" I assume you mean Tuesday the 9th of December? It is still Monday evening on the Pacific coast of the U.S.
Yes, she will be moved to the royal palace Tuesday the 9th of December!
Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Aristocracy

I will not be surprised to see Philip there on Friday. Also, I think it would be the most beautiful and glorious gesture for those attending to wear white like Wilhelmina and Juliana, but in surety and celebration of her beautiful dedication to her king and her people. How magnificent that would be.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:09 AM
Royal Highness

Empress Michiko of Japan to attend the funeral of Queen Fabiola.

Live Center: Binnenland

Empress Michiko to attend funeral of Belgian Dowager Queen Fabiola | Kyodo News
Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
I will not be surprised to see Philip there on Friday. Also, I think it would be the most beautiful and glorious gesture for those attending to wear white like Wilhelmina and Juliana, but in surety and celebration of her beautiful dedication to her king and her people. How magnificent that would be.
I am reading that the queen left special instructions for her funeral and that she wants things to be as joyous and as "happy" as the liturgy will allow. And being familiar with Cardinal Danneel's reputation, I wouldn't be surprised if it's an...unusual Requiem, to put it mildly.

I cannot warm to the idea of adults wearing white to a Funeral Mass but by God if that's what HM wanted then that is what she should have.

Very surprised to learn that the Empress of Japan will attend the late queen's funeral. I know that they were close friends but Empress Michiko herself has appeared rather frail lately.

I would not count on seeing the duke of Edinburgh in Brussels Friday. If it's not Prince Charles, I am not sure whom it will be.

Tags
death, fabiola, queen fabiola