Death & Funeral of Prince Alexandre

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Prince Alexandre did not have any children of his own. But Princess Léa has two children from her previous marriages. Her daughter read a beautiful poem about love in the church. Apparently it was his favourite. It was in Dutch.
ohh , i guess she had a special relation with the late prince !
how old are the two children of the princess ?? they live with her ?,

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: the children are grown up now. Her daughter was born in 1976, her son in 1983. I'm not sure if they live with their mother.

Last edited:
thanks for the informations Lady Leana ; much appreciate :)

Laetitia is married, so I don't think she still lives with Lea.

On one of the flowers was written DAPHNE , it is Princess Marie-Christine second surname.
To send flowers is the minimum Marie Christine could do...

The photos were very touching and it is so sad to see the pain etched on Princess Lea's face. What a lovely thing for Prince Alexandre's step-daughter to read a poem.

I was just curious as to the funeral custom in Belgium. In the video the prince's coffin appears to be placed on the floor. Is this the custom? I don't mean to offend anyone its just that any funeral I have been to the coffin rests on a raised stand.

Laetitia is married, so I don't think she still lives with Lea.

To send flowers is the minimum Marie Christine could do...

"Daphne" is actually Marie-Christine's nickname, it's not part of her Christian name.

And I am relieved to read that she at least sent flowers. I wish I knew the root of such hard feelings that would keep her away from her family at such a sad time......:sad:

On one of the flowers was written DAPHNE , it is Princess Marie-Christine second surname.

"Daphne" is actually Marie-Christine's nickname, it's not part of her Christian name.

According to Wikipedia (not an impeccable source, but one that I trust on this matter), Daphné is neither a surname nor a nickname of Princess Marie-Christine, but rather it is one of her given Christian names: Marie-Christine Daphné Astrid Elisabeth Léopoldine.

(Maria-Olivia, in case there is a misunderstanding due to language differences: in English, the word "surname" means "family name." The French equivalent would be "nom de famille", not "prénom").

AFAIK Princess Marie-Christine is referred to as Daphne in the family, I w\have read it in everal books, articles etc :flowers:.

--

Nice to see that prince Alexandre has the funeral mas in the royal cathedral of Leaken and that he will be burried in the royal crypt. The children of princess Lilian were neve r'full' princes of Belgium (no HRH and no succession rights).

I saw the clip of the VRT news and I feel for princess Léa, she looked devastated.

The children of princess Lilian were neve r'full' princes of Belgium (no HRH and no succession rights).

They were Royal Highnesses, but they had no succession rights (or at least they were considered as having no succession rights, as far as I know it is not clair, since legally nothing barred them to have succession rights)

Indeed, what a sad occasion for the whole family. It´s been years that I´ve seen pictures of Maria Esmeralda. King Leopold was very fond of her.
Very emotional the pictures of King Fabiola with Alexandre´s widow.

[FONT=&quot]Didier Nagant de Deuxchaisnes is the son-in-law of Princess Lea, the husband of her daughter Laetitia.
[/FONT]

Thank you very much MAfan, is Princess Lea's son married? :)

You're welcome!
No, Lea's son Renaud is not married.

About Lea, did she wear a decoration during the funeral? Which decoration was?

Thanks a lot Claypoint 2, is was a misunderstanding.. Kind regards

... [snipped] Nice to see that prince Alexandre has the funeral mas in the royal cathedral of Leaken and that he will be burried in the royal crypt. The children of princess Lilian were neve r'full' princes of Belgium (no HRH and no succession rights). ... [snipped]
Had King Albert II refused to bury Prince Alexandre with all the solemnities befitting his somewhat royal status, I dare to say that Princess Lea would have torn the Belgian royal family apart in various media outlets. It was wise on King Albert II's part not to provoke any controversy.

Had King Albert II refused to bury Prince Alexandre with all the solemnities befitting his somewhat royal status, I dare to say that Princess Lea would have torn the Belgian royal family apart in various media outlets. It was wise on King Albert II's part not to provoke any controversy.

On what have you based the assumption that dowager princess Léa would "have torn the Royal Family apart" if prince Alexander hadn't received a royal funeral?
Do you know Princess Léa?
You must have reasons to suggest this...

I made my assumption based on the following. "In 2008 she published a book of photographs from the life of her husband and his family, called Le Prince Alexandre de Belgique, because she felt that he was too little known in Belgium."
Reference: Wikipedia.com

Maybe someone was sharing a story of Prince Alexandre during the service that caused them to smile. Its important to note that funerals are both a way to say goodbye to a loved one as well share stories of joyous occasions that the loved one was a part of.

Yes, you are right. Then I guess they were listening to some nice story :)

Yes, you are right. Then I guess they were listening to some nice story :)

I don't think so and I think it's something bet. prince Laurent and princess Mathilde that made them laughing,at one of the photos of zimbio,you can clearly notice P.Laurent whispering to P.Mathilde and I think this is impolite at such sad event.

I made my assumption based on the following. "In 2008 she published a book of photographs from the life of her husband and his family, called Le Prince Alexandre de Belgique, because she felt that he was too little known in Belgium."
Reference: Wikipedia.com

Prince Alexandre is little known in Belgium because, just like his siblings, he chose (or maybe was asked, I don't know) to live "under the radar". They were the children of King Leopold III and his widely disliked second wife, and they were never much in the spotlights. So I don't think she meant anything mean or negative when she said her husband was "too little known in Belgium", it is a simple fact that many people will only now have realised "oh yes, the King has half-siblings too..."

I don't think so and I think it's something bet. prince Laurent and princess Mathilde that made them laughing,at one of the photos of zimbio,you can clearly notice P.Laurent whispering to P.Mathilde and I think this is impolite at such sad event.

Do you know what conversation was between Laurent and Mathilde? If not, how do you know they were being impolite?

Do you know what conversation was between Laurent and Mathilde? If not, how do you know they were being impolite?

I certainly don't know the conversation bet. them but I meant by ''impolite'' the act of sharing laughing during sad event like this one.:sad::huh::confused:

As I said earlier, a funeral is a mixture of events...it can be both bad (because your loved one is no longer among the living) and good (because your loved one is no longer in pain and/or you are sharing joyous stories of said loved ones).

My sister passed away this summer, and I shared a story of the both of us driving her car as teenagers and because her car could no longer go in reverse, we could only drive places where she could do a U turn. The church burst in laughter because that was SO SOMETHING that they could imagine the both of us doing. And I don't consider that being impolite to my sisters memory.

Perhaps whoever was speaking at the Prince's funeral was sharing such a moment with the congregation and that is why Mathilde and Laurent were laughing, smiling, etc. I don't think its wise to jump to conclusions that they were being impolite and/or disrespectful to the late Prince. That's my point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom