Death & Funeral of Prince Alexandre

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The funeral will take place on 04.12.2009 at 11 a clock at the Church of Our Lady at Laeken. Afterwards he will be buried in a Chapel near the Royal Crypt.

Very sad news. Prince Alexandre had problems with his health when he was very young - I remember him being operated on his heart many many years ago.
I hope his sister Marie Christine does come for the funeral.
My sincere condolences for his wife and family.

Yes, he underwent a open-heart surgery when he was just 15, in the USA because in Europe this kind of surgery was not known at the time; that's why his mother Princess Lilian created her cardiologic foundation.

This is sad and shocking news, poor Princess Lea. They appeared to lead a quiet but content life together, out of the spotlight.

May he RIP.

What a poor mistake: The German Boulevard magazine Gala writes that Prince Alexander is the halfbrother of Prince Albert II of Monaco:

Google Übersetzer

The entire royal family will attend the funeral (King Albert, Queen Paola, Queen Fabiola, Prince Filip, Princess Mathilde, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz, Prince Laurent, Princess Claire) on 04/12/09

What a poor mistake: The German Boulevard magazine Gala writes that Prince Alexander is the halfbrother of Prince Albert II of Monaco:

Google Übersetzer

How silly of them. :ermm:

The entire royal family will attend the funeral (King Albert, Queen Paola, Queen Fabiola, Prince Filip, Princess Mathilde, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz, Prince Laurent, Princess Claire) on 04/12/09

Has this been confirmed officially?
It's nice that they will attend.

Do you also know which members of the Royal Family of Luxembourg will attend?
By the way; how sad for Prince Filip and Princess Mathilde to have to attend a funeral of a family member on their tenth wedding anniversary...

Has this been confirmed officially?
It's nice that they will attend.

The Palace announced it on their website.:flowers:

I'm surprised at Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz being mentioned, as they are scheduled to be in Colombia for 4 or 5 days. But I suppose they will come back early then.

The Belgian Royals Agenda is not in English.

And what about Princess Marie Christine and Princess Marie Esmeralda? I guess at least Princess Marie Esmeralda will attend, although she is not listed.

This is a very sad news indeed!
My hearts go out to his family.

King Leopold III died from heart attack in 1983 , he was 82 years old.
King Baudouin died from heart attack in 1993, he was 63 years old
King Albert II got a heart operation in Aalst.
For maria-olivia :
thanks for the information.

King Baudouin was actually 62 years old when he died...he was about six weeks away from his 63rd birthday.:sad:

my condolences for the royal family of belgium .I strongly believe that princess marie-esmralda will attend but i dont know as for marie christine anyway
MAY HE REST IN PEACE and he will lie next to his coburg-saxe gotha ancestors and mother

What a sad day for the Belgian Royals. May his soul rest in peace.

King Leopold III is the only one buried with his 2 wifes.
Prince Alexandre is a minor royal so he lie in another chapel close by. I think they have to keep place in the royal crypt for King Albert's II children. I visited the royal crypt which is rather small.
The royal crypt is outside the church because our first King Leopold I was not catholic but protestant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are three chapels in Laeken, the main crypt with the burials of the Kings and Queens, another chapel with the burials of the Count and Countess of Flandres and their son Baudouin (parents and brother of Albert I) and of Prince Charles, and a third one with the burials of Empress Charlotte of Mexico and Prince Leopold Emmanuel of Liechtenstein.

No they are 2 chapels , the one with 5 big marber tombs of the 5 late Kings and Queens of Belgium: Léopold I and Louise-Marie, Leopold II and Marie-Henriette, Albert I and Elisabeth, Leopold III and Astrid & Lilian, and Baudouin Ier. The Royal crypt is open the day of their death.
They have to add a new one for King Albert II and Paola.
In the other chapel are the Princes of Belgium , like Mafan explained , the Count of Flanders and family, Empress Charlotte of Mexico, the little Prince Leopold , I suppose Charles Count of Flanders, the first born child of Margaretha and Niklaus von and zu Liechtenstein and now Prince Alexandre.

I've been surprised to read about the supposed rifts between Alexandre and his older siblings -- he looked very close with Baudouin and Albert when he was a child and young teen. Were the rifts more media-generated, or was there a known issue that came between them?

I was also curious about his relationship with Josephine-Charlotte. I don't recall seeing Alexandre at her funeral, and I don't think I've seen any info about the Luxembourg RF attending Alexandre's funeral.

I've read about Marie-Christine's issues with the BRF, but I wasn't aware of Alexandre and Marie-Esmeralda being at odds with them.

I remember to have seen a picture of Alexandre at Josephine-Charlotte's funeral, now I don't remember if Marie Esmeralda attended too.

No they are 2 chapels , the one with 5 big marber tombs of the 5 late Kings and Queens of Belgium: Léopold I and Louise-Marie, Leopold II and Marie-Henriette, Albert I and Elisabeth, Leopold III and Astrid & Lilian, and Baudouin Ier. The Royal crypt is open the day of their death.
They have to add a new one for King Albert II and Paola.
In the other chapel are the Princes of Belgium , like Mafan explained , the Count of Flanders and family, Empress Charlotte of Mexico, the little Prince Leopold , I suppose Charles Count of Flanders, the first born child of Margaretha and Niklaus von and zu Liechtenstein and now Prince Alexandre.
The graves of the Count and Countess of Flanders, Prince Charles, Count of Flandes, Prince Leopold, Duke of Brabant and Princess Joséphine are actually in the Main-Part of the Crypt. The are behind the big Sarcophage of King Leopold I. and Queen Louise-Marie.

The Palace announced it on their website.:flowers:

I'm surprised at Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz being mentioned, as they are scheduled to be in Colombia for 4 or 5 days. But I suppose they will come back early then.
Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz won't attend the funeral, due to their engagements in Colombia, according to the website of the Royal Family.

Thanks for your informations Steven I saw the crypt when King Baudouin was still living.. but the Princess Josephine is the one who died by birth, the second Princess Josephine married a Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, and I suppose that she is buried in Germany such as Henriette Duchesse de Vendôme in France.
The only Prince who was not buried in Laeken(church non built) but in the Cathedral was the first born child of Leopold I Prince Louis-Philippe . Since a few years he is in Laeken like all de Princes.

Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz won't attend the funeral, due to their engagements in Colombia, according to the website of the Royal Family.

Seems like they noticed their mistake :whistling:...

Happy to see HM Queen Fabiola at the late Prince Alexandre's home in Rhode- St-Genese.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg will attend the funeral, according to royalblog.nl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom