Death & Funeral of Prince Alexandre

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly don't know the conversation bet. them but I meant by ''impolite'' the act of sharing laughing during sad event like this one.:sad::huh::confused:

I am surprised by this idea, which I've also heard expressed elsewhere -- that everyone has to be universally and constantly sad during a funeral. It seems unnatural to me. Anyone who has suffered loss (and all of us do, sooner of later) knows that, even when one is seriously affected by a death, one can smile and laugh in certain moments. Indeed, it is an important thing to do, and it can serve as an emotional reminder that life can still be good (even if it will never be the same). I lost my husband to cancer when he was 42 years old and I was 39; the fact that I had friends and family with whom I could laugh and cry at different times was a wonderful, healing balm. We, too, had occasion to laugh during the funeral, as we remembered some things about him that were unique and characteristic.

Amen, I've lost both my parents and at each funeral, someone in the family or those in attendance have said or done something that made everyone burst out laughing. It put a human face to the ceremony and wasn't so stiff. It was a relief after so many days of crying. Different people have different views, but a blanket statement shouldn't accuse everyone of being insensitive.

I don't think it is impolite at all to laugh during a funeral ceremony. A funeral is a sad time when a loved one has passed on. But, its also a celebration of life, to think about and share fond memories of those that are no longer with us. Memories that bring a smile to our faces.

Everybody was so elegant and classy at the funeral (apart from Philippe's beard)! Princess Lea was absolutely perfect. Queen Fabiola looked in good health and I'm glad of that.
However it was horrible how the family waited for the coffin on one side of the stairs, having all photographers at the other side..so near and so intrusive. What's that a tears show? This time the fault was not of the photographers because that place was especially kept for them!
Finally, who's the man chatting and sitting near to princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy in this pic? Prince Alexandre of Belgium Funeral - Pictures - Zimbio

Everybody was so elegant and classy at the funeral (apart from Philippe's beard)!
Apart from Philippe's beard, and I'd add apart from Philippe's coat: it's the second time I see him atttending a funeral (his father in law's funeral last year and this one) wearing a black suit and blue coat... :nonono:

I was happy to look "Place Royale" yesterday evening and I saw :
Outside the church where King Albert II and Queen Paola and Princess Lea. She asked(I could hear) her sister in law Marie-Esmeralda to take place with her 2 children Alexandra and Leopoldo on her right side. The sorrow of Esmeralda was pathetic , she already lost "her sister" , her mother and now her brother. She has a brillant husband Professor Salvador Moncada and has a happy life in the UK.
During what we called "le baiser de paix " she left her place and wanted to do stright to Queen Fabiola .As she was sitting at the end of the row , the King was giving hands to the people whe were sitting behind him, she kissed Queen Paola , quicky the Grand Duke, and kissed so warmly Queen Fabiola who is a widow like her.
Absolutely NO show of the 3 main royals smiling and laughting.
If Princess Astrid and Prinz Lorenz , Princes of Belgium and Archidukes of Habsburg-Este where there, I am sure this will not have happened.

This event made me very sad, im glad they could smile and laugh at times, it's healing as others have posted.

was there any members of other royal families present at the funeral, besides those mentioned ? :)

I think this is a very touching photo. Salvador Moncada, husband of Princess Marie-Esmerelda, comforts his son Leopoldo

Belga

You are right, and on this picture no laugh, so joke and no smile; only 2
generations big sorrows....they had the same blood .

Mournig is the outward and public face of grief. Death is a loss and people are serious out of respect at the services. The happy remembrances should be private. Or are we to sanction the prevailing customs of the British upper middle classes in having a quick and non-meaningful service, with everyone dashing off to a boozey afternoon at the nearest country house hotel. Of course other peoples berevement is their concern; should we really be commenting on it if we did not know the deceased personally?

Prince Alexandre is little known in Belgium because, just like his siblings, he chose (or maybe was asked, I don't know) to live "under the radar". They were the children of King Leopold III and his widely disliked second wife, and they were never much in the spotlights. So I don't think she meant anything mean or negative when she said her husband was "too little known in Belgium", it is a simple fact that many people will only now have realised "oh yes, the King has half-siblings too..."
I did read the thread devoted to Lilian, Princess de Rethy. As far as I understood, it was Prince Alexandre's choice to lead a very private life because of his family history. I strongly believe that there has to be a reason behind every action a particular person take. Thus, I am not sure what exactly Princess Lea tried to achieve by publishing the book. ... indirectly telling the Belgian royal family to allow Prince Alexandre and his wife to carry official engagement of its behalf..?
Nonetheless, in a May 2008 interview with Point de Vue, Alexander's wife noted, "...the children of the second marriage of King Leopold -- Prince Alexandre, the Princesses Maria Esmeralda and Marie-Christine -- have been raised in a certain manner: Prince and Princesses of Belgium, accorded the style of Royal Highness, yet excluded from the succession to the throne."[1] She added, "Alexandre received a very solid intellectual education...He waited to assume some official responsibilities. They never came."
The above statement by Princess Lea may indicate her discontent with Prince Alexandre's position within the Belgian royal family.
Perhaps I made a very categorical statement about Princess Lea. However, it was just my own impression that she might have complained of bad treatment or snub, if all the solemnities were not provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom