The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Royal Highness

Indeed, what a sad occasion for the whole family. It´s been years that I´ve seen pictures of Maria Esmeralda. King Leopold was very fond of her.
Very emotional the pictures of King Fabiola with Alexandre´s widow.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Who is Didier Magnant?

Old 12-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Didier Nagant de Deuxchaisnes is the son-in-law of Princess Lea, the husband of her daughter Laetitia.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Thank you very much MAfan, is Princess Lea's son married?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

You're welcome!
No, Lea's son Renaud is not married.

About Lea, did she wear a decoration during the funeral? Which decoration was?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks a lot Claypoint 2, is was a misunderstanding.. Kind regards
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
... [snipped] Nice to see that prince Alexandre has the funeral mas in the royal cathedral of Leaken and that he will be burried in the royal crypt. The children of princess Lilian were neve r'full' princes of Belgium (no HRH and no succession rights). ... [snipped]
Had King Albert II refused to bury Prince Alexandre with all the solemnities befitting his somewhat royal status, I dare to say that Princess Lea would have torn the Belgian royal family apart in various media outlets. It was wise on King Albert II's part not to provoke any controversy.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/17007771.jpg

Why are they laughing?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Had King Albert II refused to bury Prince Alexandre with all the solemnities befitting his somewhat royal status, I dare to say that Princess Lea would have torn the Belgian royal family apart in various media outlets. It was wise on King Albert II's part not to provoke any controversy.

On what have you based the assumption that dowager princess Léa would "have torn the Royal Family apart" if prince Alexander hadn't received a royal funeral?
Do you know Princess Léa?
You must have reasons to suggest this...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I made my assumption based on the following. "In 2008 she published a book of photographs from the life of her husband and his family, called Le Prince Alexandre de Belgique, because she felt that he was too little known in Belgium."
Reference: Wikipedia.com
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 12-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post

MAfan, thanks for the link to these interesting and moving photos. I have not seen them elsewhere.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Thanks a lot Claypoint 2, is was a misunderstanding.. Kind regards
Likewise, Maria-Olivia.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Thats an interesting question. Prince Laurent is holding his nose so ummm
Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Maybe someone was sharing a story of Prince Alexandre during the service that caused them to smile. Its important to note that funerals are both a way to say goodbye to a loved one as well share stories of joyous occasions that the loved one was a part of.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, you are right. Then I guess they were listening to some nice story
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Yes, you are right. Then I guess they were listening to some nice story
I don't think so and I think it's something bet. prince Laurent and princess Mathilde that made them laughing,at one of the photos of zimbio,you can clearly notice P.Laurent whispering to P.Mathilde and I think this is impolite at such sad event.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I made my assumption based on the following. "In 2008 she published a book of photographs from the life of her husband and his family, called Le Prince Alexandre de Belgique, because she felt that he was too little known in Belgium."
Reference: Wikipedia.com

Prince Alexandre is little known in Belgium because, just like his siblings, he chose (or maybe was asked, I don't know) to live "under the radar". They were the children of King Leopold III and his widely disliked second wife, and they were never much in the spotlights. So I don't think she meant anything mean or negative when she said her husband was "too little known in Belgium", it is a simple fact that many people will only now have realised "oh yes, the King has half-siblings too..."
Old 12-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma View Post
I don't think so and I think it's something bet. prince Laurent and princess Mathilde that made them laughing,at one of the photos of zimbio,you can clearly notice P.Laurent whispering to P.Mathilde and I think this is impolite at such sad event.

Do you know what conversation was between Laurent and Mathilde? If not, how do you know they were being impolite?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Do you know what conversation was between Laurent and Mathilde? If not, how do you know they were being impolite?
I certainly don't know the conversation bet. them but I meant by ''impolite'' the act of sharing laughing during sad event like this one.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator

As I said earlier, a funeral is a mixture of events...it can be both bad (because your loved one is no longer among the living) and good (because your loved one is no longer in pain and/or you are sharing joyous stories of said loved ones).

My sister passed away this summer, and I shared a story of the both of us driving her car as teenagers and because her car could no longer go in reverse, we could only drive places where she could do a U turn. The church burst in laughter because that was SO SOMETHING that they could imagine the both of us doing. And I don't consider that being impolite to my sisters memory.

Perhaps whoever was speaking at the Prince's funeral was sharing such a moment with the congregation and that is why Mathilde and Laurent were laughing, smiling, etc. I don't think its wise to jump to conclusions that they were being impolite and/or disrespectful to the late Prince. That's my point.