The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
Republican governments do cost plenty, but at least only the President and Vice President are paid salaries. The rest of their families don't get a salary, although I believe that the First Lady and Second Lady (the spouses of the President and Vice President) have staffs.

(I have no idea why the spouse of the Vice President needs a staff.)

In short, if only the person holding the office can get a salary in the US, I don't think that it's unreasonable for only the King to get a salary, but not the rest of the family.
In a republic the children and siblings of the President and Vice President are not expected to undertake official engagements and represent the nation in any way. In a monarchy the children and siblings of the monarch are expected to undertake official engagements and represent the nation, and it is a lifetime committment, which is why state allowances are applicable,
In a republic such as the US you give salaries to the President and Vice President while in office, as well as allowances for their wives offices. After they retire you continue to pay pensions to the former Presidents and Vice Presidents, as well as payng for their staff, office expenses and security, Right now you are paying for 4 living ex Presidents and I don't know how many former VPs but the costs are considerable. I remember CNN mentioning that the costs for Clinton runs into the millions. I am not begrudging them their expenses after serving the nation, just pointing out that there are costs in republic that people do not consider when comparing to the costs of maintaining a working royal family.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I apologise in advance - but Prince Lauriant seems to have blotted his copybook. Can someone explain in simple terms what he has done - or have I misunderstood. Big thank you as I am being lazy in not going back over many posts.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Courtier

Without going in too much detail:

Laurent was involved in a corruption scandal that reached court when it was said money from the Royal Navy was used to renovate his holiday home. It was reported that his father (or Court staff) effecitvely banned Laurent from the Royal court for several months after this

He visited the Congo without prior permission which was controversial given Belgium's past there

He is said to enjoy playing the 'I'm royal' card for example demanding free upgrades on Belgian airlines and harrasing airline staff when they question this

He is known to be on good terms with the woman who claims to be the King's illegitate daughter

I've read reports that he is not all that bright, once apparently, needing to be told the difference from the UN and US

He led, according to some reports, a play boy prince style life when he was young

Overall not a few big scandals really but lots and lots of little ones all of the time
Old 07-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Nobility

I think the only reason why Laurent hasn't been cut off (economically speaking) from the family is the children.

If I was Philippe I'd make sure Claire was the one managing their allowance, Laurent isn't the most trustworthy guy in the world.

Also, while Albert was quite wild in his youth (and so was Paola) he never ever betrayed Baudouin's trust in his royal duties, he was always staunchly loyal to his brother, that's something I don't see Laurent doing even if Philippe has defended him in public ("he's my brother and will always be my brother first and foremost").

It's better to find him something to do before he starts compromising the royal house again.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Now the Government wants more control about the Royals except of course for King Philippe.
It concerns namely their foreign travels , who they will met there , about their air planes costs , foundations etc.
It will have a direct repercussion on their dotations and Prince Laurent is not free anymore as before.

Tags
belgian royal family, dotations, finances