Belgium's National Day - 21 July 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanievl

Heir Apparent
City
n/a
Country
Belgium
A topic to post pics and news about the National day of Belgium on the 21st of July.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of website where you can find the plans of the festivities for the 21st? Like the trajectory of the military défilé, and other things they organize in Brussels?

Last edited:
Thanx! I wanted to do my duty as a good Belgian this year, and go see the défilé, but I couldn't find much information.

Some more information about the national day

20 july:
Concert "Preludium tot de Nationale Feestdag" in the palace of royal arts brought by the international queen Elisabeth contest and the national orchestra of belgium

21 July
Morning
* King, Queen, Queen Fabiola, Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde will attend the "Te Deum" in the Sint-Michiels-en-Sint-Goedelecathedral in Brussels
* Princess Claire and Prince Laurent will go to the "Te Deum" in the cathedral Saint-Aubain in Namen.
* Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz will go to the "Te Deum" in the Sint- Salvatorscathedral in Brugge

15H
Royal FAmily: Military Parade in Brussels

Afternoon
King and Queen: visit to Olympicnic and to the soccerstands at the Warandepark,

Queen FAbiola will visit the exhibition “Een brug tussen Europa en China” in the BELvue-Museum,

Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde will visit the stands of the army, police,...

Prince Astrid and Prince Lorenz will pay a visit to the stands of the "court suppliers"

Prince Laurent and princess Claire will visit the “European village”

So here´s a unique National Day preview. :D
Princess Claire already posed in her National Day frock by Stijn Helsen (the guy who designed the Spiderman costumes btw, Laurent and Claire also attended his shop opening lately).
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/prev/9812553.jpg
I applaud every royal getting away from Natan by Eduard Vermeulen, alas Helsen managed to come up with an ugly Natan copy (balloon skirt, the typical Natan collar, all in all very blah). Well at least better than showing up as Delft blue cow girl once again. :cool: This time Claire is into Mondrian style. (Btw since Mondrian is Dutch - is that a manifestation for the Great Netherlands idea of darling Wilders? :stuart: Ahem no - thank goodness for her handbag in the shape of Belgium)
And *big sigh of relief* he also tailored a new military uniform for Prince Laurent, so no “I´m too corpulent for my military costume” incident this year.
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/prev/9812537.jpg

And I´m under the impression this promotion stunt perhaps safes hubby´s small budget, cough, cough. :innocent:

As the event is connected with the National day, I think this
may be the right place for the pics from today :)

Belgium's Princess Claire poses in her costume, designed by Belgian
designer Stijn Helsen, for 21 July 2008, Belgian national day, Friday
18 July 2008 in Hasselt. Stijn Helsen also created the military costume
for Prince Laurent.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Well, at least it isn't Natan for a change! The outfit is a bit over the top maybe, but it looks quite funky on Claire, I like it (not the balloon skirt)! The purse is funny too.

Laurent's new uniform is long overdue, he seemed to be popping out of his for years! I think his sash needed to be expanded too btw, it seemed to short last time.

I'm not sure if I could say Claire has taste, but I am sure she is the most daring of all princesses when it comes to outfits!

And she certainly seems to have a thing for Dutch elements. First Delft Blue prints, now a Mondriaan...

Ugh...I'm not sure about this dress. IT'S funky...But I don't like funky dresses. Princess Claire seems to be a picture from an artist from the 60's decade....Hummm. :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

Normally I would run screaming from an outfit like that but Princess Claire makes it work somehow.

I think she is adorable, a great addition to the BRF.

I'm not sure if I could say Claire has taste, but I am sure she is the most daring of all princesses when it comes to outfits!

And she certainly seems to have a thing for Dutch elements. First Delft Blue prints, now a Mondriaan...

I suppose she could go for Matisse next time, he is Belgian after all and the surrealism might suit the present state of the country 'Ceci n'est pas un pays' ;).

Why is she posing with the outfit btw? Some sort of promotion for the designer or something? It is uncomon for royals to do so (though Vermeulen and Delvigne usually blabber all about their royal clientele I never saw pictures of those royals posing in their shops).

Last edited:
I is indeed the first time a Belgian princess poses with the designer for such a pictures! I is also special that she choose Stijn Helsen since he is more famous for his collection for men!

But it is still very nice that the Belgian princesses keep supporting Belgian fashion, they are most of the time dressed by Belgian designers such as Eduard Vermeulen (Natan), Dries Van Noten, Ann Demeulemeester, Olivier Strelli and much more! And also the bags (Delvaux) and hats (Fabienne Delvigne) are mostly belgian!

I suppose she could go for Matisse next time, he is Belgian after all and the surrealism might suit the present state of the country 'Ceci n'est pas un pays' ;).
Well, you know me, I can´t help it. ;) Matisse would be great to promote a merger with France. :cool: She should go for Magritte instead. Anyhow, as long as she doesn’t end up looking delphinesque...:D

Why is she posing with the outfit btw? Some sort of promotion for the designer or something? It is uncomon for royals to do so (though Vermeulen and Delvigne usually blabber all about their royal clientele I never saw pictures of those royals posing in their shops).
As for the posing stunt. I think it´s a wee bit tacky and I´m not interested in getting a preview on the ladies` outfits. Spoils the fun somehow. :rolleyes: But I´m pretty sure Claire gets a discount for doing a bit of PR work and since hubby always complains about lack of money…. And on a more positive note: Laurent and Claire also attended Stijn Helsen´s shop opening last winter, so they seem to be acquainted with him. Perhaps Claire just does him a favour.

King Albert delivers message of hope

On the eve of 21 July, the Belgian National Holiday, King Albert II of the Belgians has delivered his traditional speech. The king sent a message of reconciliation and hope amid the political crisis which seems to be tearing Belgium apart.

"As you know, our country faces serious political problems. Nevertheless, I want to remind you of the fact that difficulties and crises often give rise to a resurgence and a calming down", King Albert said.

The king tells his TV audience that he does not want to go into the difficulties linked to a possible state reform in too much detail, but often refers to his brother, the late King Boudewijn. His brother had always warned against the falling apart of Belgium.

"King Boudewijn made a plea for the unity and cohesion of our country, respecting its diversity at the same time. He was convinced that the multicultural character of Belgium is an asset contributing to the richness of the country."

The king suggests new ways of living together and does not consider the separation of minds as a disaster.

King Albert presses for unity and tolerance. Like his late brother Boudewijn, he stresses the need for a sense of public federal responsibility.

In his last speech in July 1993 he called on the people to, and I quote "show their will to reconcile, their good will, tolerance and a federal sense of public responsibility."

deredactie.be - English - King Albert delivers message of hope

Video (in dutch)
deredactie.be - mediatheek

Video of speech (in dutch)
deredactie.be - mediatheek

Last edited:
I just saw an item on the concert on the Flemish news. Apparently Laurent was late again, and though the man who welcomed him urged him to go inside, he took his time to greet some in the public.

The king got a standing ovation in the concert building. The conceert was organised by the Queen Elisabeth Concours, the king said he especially liked Rossini.

Last edited:
More photos ofthe Royal Family at Te Deum Mass at the Saint-Michel and Gudule Cathedral.
PPE Agency
PPE Agency
Queen Paola wore a very strange hat: a crumpled beret..?
Crow Princess Mathilde looked all right. A green simple dress was nicely enhanced by a cute tiny hat. Crown Princess's black and white dress was stunning on her as well.
I really liked the jacket Princess Claire chose to wear on the concert: a simple short sleeved jacket with nice embellishments.Princess Claire seems to favour wide collared jackets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom