Belgium's National Day 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannelore

Heir Presumptive
City
Bruges
Country
Belgium
On July 21st Belgium celebrates its National Day.

First some looking back:

2003, when the 10-year reign of Albert II was also celebrated. Mathilde was expecting Gabriel and Claire was expecting Louise (but that wasn't announced yet - so we didn't know it)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546&page=1&pp=20&highlight=national+day

2004, when no-one was pregnant for a change ;)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2991&page=1&highlight=national+day

This year Mathilde and Claire will be able to show of their bellies again ;):)

The Program

July 20th :

"Prelude to the National Day"

The royal family (Albert, Paola, Fabiola, Filip & Mathilde, Astrid & Lorenz, Laurent & Claire) will attend the concert offered by the Queen Elisabeth Competition and the National Orchestra at the Palais des Beaux Arts in Brussels.

July 21st :

10h00 : Te Deum

- Albert II, Paola and Fabiola : Saint Michiels and Saint Goedele cathedral (Brussels)

- Filip and Mathilde : Saint Quintinus cathedral (Hasselt)

- Astrid and Lorenz : Sankt Nikolaus church (Eupen)

- Laurent and Claire : Saint Martin church (Arlon)

15h00 : military parade

At the Place des Palais, the entire RF.

Afterwards :

17h20 : Filip & Mathilde make a walk from the Colonne du Congrès, past the stands of the military to the "gastronomic walk".

17h45 : Astrid & Lorenz take part in the celebrations in the Royal Park.

18h30 : Laurent visits "Tintin and mobility" ath the Poelaert Square.

21h00 :

Albert II, Paola, Fabiola, Filip & Mathilde, Astrid & Lorenz attend the 175-25 spectacle at the Rogier Square and the fireworks afterwards.

Then every two years someone will be in pregnant:cool: Why not???

According to the French channel TV5 Europe's teletext they'll show the military parade (or maybe it's only parts of it) from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. - that would be 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in London - on Thursday July 21st. I don't think the time will change, because that's also the same time the channel showed it last year. But I'll check the teletext daily, and if there's any changes I'll post it.
Looking forward to seeing the military parade and the pictures from the National Day. Only hope Claire will wear something else this year, and not let Laurent decide. ;)

Yes, please don´t let Laurent decide. That being said, I loved the bow that Mathilde had in her hair last year.

The Canadian TV5 network shows a lot of programming from France and has, in the past, shown official events from Belgium. Im sure i'll be able to catch the coverage of the royals. I dont follow the Belgian royals myself but I can make some screen caps of the event if anyone would like me to.

That would be great of you if you could. Your caps are always well done.

Program

On the National Day (July 21st) prince Amedeo will be taking part in the military parade as a student of the royal miltary academy.

The festivities for the national day have started !

The king gave his speech on tv. It's broadcasted at the same time on the Flemish national channel (in Dutch) and on the Walloon national channel (in French and German).

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 335
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 330
Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt , King Albert II and Queen Paola listen to music as thousands of musicians attempt to set a world record for the largest brass band on the eve of the country's 175th anniversary in Brussels July 20, 2005. The current record is held by Japan. The event is part of festivities organised to celebrate the anniversary of Belgium's independence and the 25th anniversary of federalism in the country.
Photo
#1-7:from newscom
#8: Associated Press

Attachments

• a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 352
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 247
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 358
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 576
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 328
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 356
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 365
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Thanks Mandy :)

They didn't break the world record though...But Albert and Paola enjoyed it - and so did the musicians.

This was another special activity for the 175th birthday of Belgium, which is today (July 21st)!! Brass bands are typical for Belgium, each small town has one.

Summary of his speech

Hannelore said:
The festivities for the national day have started !

The king gave his speech on tv. It's broadcasted at the same time on the Flemish national channel (in Dutch) and on the Walloon national channel (in French and German).

BRUSSELS — King Albert II saw five positive developments and reactions in Belgium in the past few months that have given him optimism for the nation's future.

The comments were made in the King's traditional address to the nation on the eve of Independence Day on Thursday.

King Albert II started his speech with a reference to the 7 July bombings in London, saying they were "barbarous terrorist acts that signify full-blown aggression against the fundamental values of our democratic community."

He also praised the variety and quality of this year's national day celebrations, but stressed the importance of local traditions and the richness of diversity in if(flashinstalled == 2){document.write(" ");}else{document.write("
radE4C25.gif
");}Belgium.

However, King Albert II primarily focused on the various attitudes and reactions that had given him confidence in the Belgian future.

Firstly, the public's wish for a unified nation made him happy, the King said, pointing to a recent survey showing 87 percent of the public wants to maintain Belgian unity.

King Albert II said he had also witnessed tolerance, evidenced by the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II on 8 May this year, newspaper 'De Standaard' reported on Wednesday.

But the King has also seen dialogue over issues such as xenophobia, intolerance and also the tributes paid to disaster victims at official ceremonies.

"These meetings, these social ceremonies give testimony to the readiness to enter dialogue and honour the beliefs of everyone," he said,

A fourth attitude was solidarity, which developed as a spontaneous reaction to the Indian Ocean tsunami disaster. "An exceptional zest of generosity traversed the entire country very quickly," King Albert II said.

In conclusion, the monarch said he had witnessed during his recent State visit to China how much Belgian academics, entrepreneurs and artists have creatively and dynamically adopted a willingness to understand the ancient Chinese culture.

The King subsequently said he had sufficient evidence to confirm Belgian openness to the world at large.

He finished his speech by saying Belgium should continue to strive for unity, good social conduct and dialogue. It should also remain open to the outside world and continue to show solidarity, he said.

[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Hannelore,
Thank you for posting the speech in English. I was left with a warm feeling after reading the speech; grateful that there are voices calling for understanding, tolerance and inclusiveness in a world riddled with intolerance. One question -- are there any photos of the Queen Elisabeth concert tonight?

....and you must be staying up late to do these postings!!

Happy National Day to all you Belgians, and Happy Birthday Belgium.:) Hope you all have a great day filled with festivities, and I can't wait to see all the pictures and the military parade on tv. Although I'm not Belgian I'll celebrate the day a little myself by eating Belgian waffles (well, some cheap ones I bought in a supermarket, but they're quite good), and having a Belgian beer (a Christmas beer so it's a bit off season, but it's really good, so it's perfect for celebrating the National Day). Thank you mandyy for the pictures so far, and Hannelore thank you for the English summary of Albert's speech.:)

Danielle, I wondered if the ring QP has on in that picture is new because in another photo of that group she seems to be looking at it. Does anyone know? I've not seen her wear it before, I don't think. And, yes, Happy National Day to all the Belgians, and especially to all you who post such wonderful photos and keep us up to date!

Emily said:
Danielle, I wondered if the ring QP has on in that picture is new because in another photo of that group she seems to be looking at it. Does anyone know? I've not seen her wear it before, I don't think. And, yes, Happy National Day to all the Belgians, and especially to all you who post such wonderful photos and keep us up to date!

Emily, that ring (the big diamond solitaire) is actually quite an old one...it's her engagement ring :) In these pics you can see it better

King Albert II and Queen Paola attend a world record attempt of the biggest fanfare, 20 July 2005 in Brussels, on the eve of Belgian national day, part of the festivities for the 175th anniversary of Belgium and the 25th anniversary of federalism.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 297
Hannelore said:
July 20th :

"Prelude to the National Day"

The royal family (Albert, Paola, Fabiola, Filip & Mathilde, Astrid & Lorenz, Laurent & Claire) will attend the concert offered by the Queen Elisabeth Competition and the National Orchestra at the Palais des Beaux Arts in Brussels.

I'm a bit disappointed by Mathilde who's wearing an "old" outfit (she also wore this wehn she was expecting Gabriel, at the Norwegian state visit to Belgium. In this pregnancy she hasn't really worn any new maternity clothes (except that lovely flowery blouse at the photoshoot and the zuidfoor). But she looks beautiful, so stop nagging Hannelore :D

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 299
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 857
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 317
Look at Astrid, she's so beautiful and wearing Pucci I think :)

No sign of Claire..... :(

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 405
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 281
I was yesterday at the Prelude Concert in Brussels. In fact it was'nt as good as last year (too short... :( )For the people who don't know who that man is sitting in the loge in the left corner: that's a good friend of Albert, and he's in the Board of Directors of Axa and he's also a member of the organisation of the Concours Reine Elisabeth.

rdb said:
I was yesterday at the Prelude Concert in Brussels. In fact it was'nt as good as last year (too short... :( )For the people who don't know who that man is sitting in the loge in the left corner: that's a good friend of Albert, and he's in the Board of Directors of Axa and he's also a member of the organisation of the Concours Reine Elisabeth.

Yes, count de Launoit - also a very good friend of queen Fabiola.

What was on the program ?

both princesses are looking gorgeous :)

was claire there? no pics of her?

will astrid's family attend the celebrations appart from amadeo in the royal parade?

the first images of the king and queen and queen fabiola at the te deum in Brussels. I love Paola's green ensemble, it looks young and fresh on her.

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 368
I've just seen the king and queen on the news, and Filip & Mathilde in Hasselt. Mathilde's very classy. She wears an outfit from Natan : a pink dress with a pink coat over it, with a large flower on the shoulder. She didn't wear a hat though. maybe she'll wear one for the défilé ?

First pictures of Filip and Mathilde in Hasselt:

Attachments

• preview1.jpg
    preview1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 456
  • preview2.jpg
    preview2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 417
Thank you for the pictures Hannlore. Astrid looked great, and I thought I'd seen Mathilde's outfit before. Yes, a bit disappointed that she wore an old outfit, but like you said she's still beautiful.:) I thought she looked a bit tired, but she's more than 6 months pregnant so I guess it's only natural if she is.
Thank you rdb for the information.:) When I looked at the picture I actually wondered who the man was.

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/default/nieuws/overzicht/050721belgieviert175/index.html

There are videos to the right from today's celebrations including Albert, Paola, and Fabiola at Te Deum in Brussels and Philippe and Mathilde at Te Deum in Hasselt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom