Belgium's National Day- 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyonnaise

Serene Highness
Belgium's national holiday on 21 July will be used to mark the 60th anniversary of country's liberation from the Nazis in September 1944.

As well as the usual celebrations, which take place annually on 21 July, special events are planned to remember how Belgium was liberated from Hitler's Germany.

Like last year, the celebrations will start on Tuesday night at 8pm with a series of free concerts in Place du Jeu de Balle in the Marolles in Brussels.

The line-up includes accordionist Jos Mommen, Lou and the Hollywood Bananas, Jaune Toujours & Guests and The Magical Flying Thunderbirds.

On Wednesday morning, at 10am, there will be church services, attended by members of the royal family.

The King, the Queen and Queen Fabiola will be present at Sts-Michel-et-Gudule Cathedral, Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde will be at Sainte-Waudru Cathedral in Mons and Prince Laurent and Princess Claire will be at the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Antwerp at 11.45.

The allied countries, as well as Germany, have been invited to take part in a procession which starts from the Royal Palace at 4 p.m. after an inspection of the troops by the King in Rue de la Loi at 3.30pm.

Several World War Two vehicles are to join the parade.

A party will be geld from 10am to midnight at Place Poelaert and Place Royale in Brussels, with free entertainment planned for all ages.

A military camp from the Liberation is to be recreated at Place Poelaert.

Institutions like the Palais de Justice, the Notre-Dame church at the Sablon, police stations, fire stations, emergency medical centres and newspaper La Libre Belgique are opening their doors to the public throughout 21 July.

The federal parliament opens from 11am to 7pm with entrance at the Place de la Nation side.

Federal museums such as the Musical Instruments Museum, the planetarium and Porte de Hal have special events planned, including guided visits, and are charging visitors just EUR 1 each.

A firework display rounds the day off at the Palais des Academies on the Place des Palais at 11pm.

[Copyright Expatica 2004]

His Majesty

Yesterday night, members of the royal family attended the special preludium concert. It was a concert given by winners of the queen Elisabeth competition. Anybody who wanted to come and listen was welcome, the entrance was free. It was held at the palais des beaux arts.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 436
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Thanks Cathérine. I actually started this thread so that you could post those photos!!

You're welcome, Lyonnaise :)

I'll post pictures of the other members at the te deum as well, when I find them.

I saw princess Claire on tv, and her outfit isn't exactly what I would wear to church...Prepare for a shock :p

Mathilde as always is so lovely. It's funny what I like so much about her is a trait I don't generally find attractive, but in her it is so natural and genuine and darling: she is demure.

But what was Paola wearing to the concert? Was it not a bit casual?

Fabiloa--what a lady!

Prince Philippe and princess Mathilde attended a te deum in Mons. Before and after they talked to the people who were standing outside the church.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 449
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 296
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Thanks for posting the links, Catherine.

Catherine you were not Kidding when you said to be prepared for a shock.

Princess Claire :shock: :eek:

Great photos Catherine. Thanks for posting them... :flower:

I love Mathildes outfit very classy, but it looks like she is wearing the same terrible fake earrings that Maxima wore the other day only with a red stone instead of a white(yuck) I hope sha hasn`t got the brooch as well which is even worse, Can we expect Maria Theresa to show up with them as well soon, 3 for the price of 2?

And Claire, I usually like what she wears but I have no words to describe that outfit...

Fabiola looks wonderful.

Claire looks like a walking advertisement for Delft porcelain..:)
I can't believe her choice of wardrobe. Usually she looks great..

I am not too fond of Mathilde's outfit but at least it's acceptable just not my taste.:)

Some of the pictures posted by Catherine did not work for me. One was of 2 men rescuing a cow -- I am not kidding! I don't think that's quite Mathilde embracing a child!

Unfortunately the pictures of Claire did work. What in the world was she thinking? Did she get dressed in the dark and accidentally put on her sofa covers?

Originally posted by Genevieve@Jul 21st, 2004 - 6:16 pm
Some of the pictures posted by Catherine did not work for me. One was of 2 men rescuing a cow -- I am not kidding! I don't think that's quite Mathilde embracing a child!

Unfortunately the pictures of Claire did work. What in the world was she thinking? Did she get dressed in the dark and accidentally put on her sofa covers?
:lol: yes I also saw the two wrong photos geneveive. btw, its not a real cow - just a drawing or something :lol:

Philippe and Mathilde at the te deum in Mons:

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a lot of people complain that Paola doesn't smile enough or looks sad or angry, but she's just looking serious or concentrated.

I like Queen Paola outfit. Her brooch is beautiful.. :flower: It looks like she and the King are wearing matching sunglasses.

Originally posted by Cathérine Bergeyck@Jul 23rd, 2004 - 7:03 am
Yes, a lot of people complain that Paola doesn't smile enough or looks sad or angry, but she's just looking serious or concentrated.
i saw some pics on rex, and she was yawning there :rolleyes:

but i guess the defilé was boring...I would think it was boring too so... :unsure: and off course, she has seen it A LOT allready

Originally posted by micas@Jul 23rd, 2004 - 11:06 am
The Queen Paola look boring :sick: :sick: :sick:
well i guess it was kinda conservative, but hey she's allready 65...i think she has a lot of style...
She was very stylish compared to Claire... :unsure:

I heard Laurent chose that fabric :lol: :innocent: :unsure:

I don't know what Clarie was thinking. :eek:

That outfit was just completely awful.

It was prince Laurent who chose the fabric for Claire's eccentric outfit on the national day. It was a suit made by the Belgian designers of Mademoiselle Lucien (Laurent Uyttersprot en Pascal di Pietro Martinelli). According to Martinelli, Laurent saw their designs during a show, came to their shop with Claire, and chose a design for her (she's docile, I must say!).
The fabric is normally used for tablecloths, bedspreads and pillow cases.

What was the Prince thinking and what was the Princess thinking after agreeing to this :wacko: ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom