The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 2,540
Belgian State Visits: general discussion, suggestions, reflections

I think we could have a discussion on the State Visits of Belgium and what visits do we want to see in the future?

In this topic, you can also post news about possible state visits.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Hannelore's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: T., Belgium
Posts: 2,500
The two state visits on the program for 2019 are Brazil and Luxembourg: https://queenmathilde.blogspot.com/2...ate-visit.html
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 2,540
Here's the news: https://translate.google.lu/translat...-lautomne-2019
__________________
Acclamation Manuel II of Portugal: 6 May 1908
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2018, 04:39 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
The two state visits on the program for 2019 are Brazil and Luxembourg: https://queenmathilde.blogspot.com/2...ate-visit.html

A change to the state visits next year 2019.
The Luxemburg in the Autumn remains but the March they visit the South Korea and not Brazil.

https://centre.lanouvellegazette.be/...-pas-au-bresil
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 2,540
Is there any information on possible state visits from the Netherlands and Spain to Belgium?
__________________
Acclamation Manuel II of Portugal: 6 May 1908
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2019, 05:16 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 22,333
There's an election due in Spain and there won't be any outgoing visits until a new government is formed.
__________________

27th of March 1615:Death of Marguerite de Valois,Queen of Navarre
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 20,419
There are no state visits in the Dutch agenda but I hope they will wait a few years, until the princesses are old enough to participate & wear a tiara.

I was hoping for a Belgian SV to the UK this year, as it is long overdue.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2019, 05:30 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,358
King Albert II never went on State Visit to Great Britain. I don't kow why.
He went to the Commemoration of her Coronation, a that time he was one of the happy few who attend.
I really hope they will be a state Visit from King Philippe and Queen mathilde .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 22,333
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde have paid a few visits so far to the UK,I recall them visiting the queen at Windsor last summer,hopefully a State Visit is in the works.
__________________

27th of March 1615:Death of Marguerite de Valois,Queen of Navarre
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde have paid a few visits so far to the UK,I recall them visiting the queen at Windsor last summer,hopefully a State Visit is in the works.

Relations between the UK and Belgium are probably at a diplomatic low right now given Charles Michel's and Guy Verhofstadt's acrimonious comments and hardline stance on Brexit. I would be surprised if a State Visit were in the works.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 4,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Relations between the UK and Belgium are probably at a diplomatic low right now given Charles Michel's and Guy Verhofstadt's acrimonious comments and hardline stance on Brexit. I would be surprised if a State Visit were in the works.

But they are acting as representatives of the EU in that case not as representatives of Belgium.

But i fear that there will not be too much State Visits these year as the will be elections in Belgium in the next months and the formation of a new goverment usually takes some time (but hopefully not as long as once when it took 1,5 years or so).
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
King Albert II never went on State Visit to Great Britain. I don't kow why.
He went to the Commemoration of her Coronation, a that time he was one of the happy few who attend.
I really hope they will be a state Visit from King Philippe and Queen mathilde .
My guess is that the Belgians were never considered "heavy weights" and hence, did not get a state visit or a royal visit in recent years from the British.,
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My guess is that the Belgians were never considered "heavy weights" and hence, did not get a state visit or a royal visit in recent years from the British.,

The UK and Belgium have been historically very close as British strategic thinking traditionally placed a great emphasis on preventing any major continental European power from taking control of the Belgian coast opposite the British isles. That is partly why the UK went to war with Germany in 1914 when Germany invaded Belgium in violation of Belgium's neutrality.


All Belgian kings before Albert II were made Knights of the Garter and, during King Baudouin's reign, there was a Belgian state visit to the UK and a return state visit by Queen Elizabeth II to Belgium. Queen Elizabeth II also attended King Baudouin's funeral and she seems to get along quite well with Philippe and Mathilde, who visited her privately more than once in the UK.



If it were not for the current Brexit tension and, as Stefan said, the upcoming elections in Belgium (and possible early elections or a second referendum in the UK), I believe a Belgian state visit could be considered. I am pretty sure the Queen would personally like that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,358
King Albert I was Knight of the Garter only after WW1!
I wonder which British Decoration King Philippe has as he was Child during Queen Elisabeth II State Visit to Belgium..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 4,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
King Albert I was Knight of the Garter only after WW1!
I wonder which British Decoration King Philippe has as he was Child during Queen Elisabeth II State Visit to Belgium..

Probably no one.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-02-2019, 11:50 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The UK and Belgium have been historically very close as British strategic thinking traditionally placed a great emphasis on preventing any major continental European power from taking control of the Belgian coast opposite the British isles. That is partly why the UK went to war with Germany in 1914 when Germany invaded Belgium in violation of Belgium's neutrality.


All Belgian kings before Albert II were made Knights of the Garter and, during King Baudouin's reign, there was a Belgian state visit to the UK and a return state visit by Queen Elizabeth II to Belgium. Queen Elizabeth II also attended King Baudouin's funeral and she seems to get along quite well with Philippe and Mathilde, who visited her privately more than once in the UK.



If it were not for the current Brexit tension and, as Stefan said, the upcoming elections in Belgium (and possible early elections or a second referendum in the UK), I believe a Belgian state visit could be considered. I am pretty sure the Queen would personally like that.
I am not suggesting the historical links are not there, but two observations:

> I disagree with your point about Brexit. In the last few years and especially since the referendum, there has been a very substantial reach out to European countries on a one-to-one basis. France, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain have either hosted or been hosted at a state visit, and a lot of other countries have received royal visits from C&C, William & Catherine and Harry. Belgium has only received royal visits from the BRF in the context of memorial events, even though P&M have visited the UK a few times and been received by the Queen, albeit not at a state visit.

> That the Belgians have not been invited to or have received a state visit during and since the reign of Albert only corroborates my theory that the Belgians are just not considered economically or geopolitically important enough by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to court.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
King Albert I was Knight of the Garter only after WW1!
I wonder which British Decoration King Philippe has as he was Child during Queen Elisabeth II State Visit to Belgium..
All monarchies enlist the honours in the cv of the King but monarchie.be fails to mention any Order, decoration or honour of the King...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 20,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
> That the Belgians have not been invited to or have received a state visit during and since the reign of Albert only corroborates my theory that the Belgians are just not considered economically or geopolitically important enough by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to court.
Belgium ranks as the 6th largest trading partner for the UK, before countries like Spain, Italy, Canada, Japan, Saudi Arabia or India. So the economy-part can't be a reason for it.
__________________

__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
belgian, discussão, state visit


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spain State Visits: General Discussion Blog Real Royal Family of Spain 120 03-07-2019 05:04 PM
Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings Kingen Royal House of Sweden 154 02-28-2019 03:29 PM
Dutch State Visits: General Discussion, Suggestions, Musings Koningin Dutch Royals 47 02-28-2019 02:05 PM
Luxembourg State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings nordishbynature Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg 19 10-21-2018 09:36 AM




Popular Tags
aif belgian bonaparte british royal family britishroyals camilla clothes crown current events dailyfail danish royal family daughters denmark duchess of cornwall duchess of sussex duchessofsussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of wessex england fashion forum french revolution genealogy general news greece harry headship hohenzollern interests iñaki urdangarín juan carlos kiko ladies-in-waiting lady louise mountbatten-windsor lineage meghan markle member monogram northampton norwegian royal family osborn patron plantagenets porphyria prince harry prince harry of wales prince laurent prince of belgium princess beatrice princess claire princess eugenie queen elisabeth queen elizabeth quizz rania of jordan royal royal ancestry royal geneology royal ladies royal wedding sarah duchess of york savoy saxony state visit surname tradition wedding windsor castle windsor wedding



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises