Belgian Royals in books and other publications

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Noel Vaessen is getting sued by Count Michel Didisheim. Vaessen said that Didesheim, who used to work at court, is a half brother of the king and an illegitemate son of King Leopold III. Didisheim is angry (understandably) and is going to sue.... more costs for Vaessen :whistling:

In French: here.

Noel Vaessen is getting sued by Count Michel Didisheim. Vaessen said that Didesheim, who used to work at court, is a half brother of the king and an illegitemate son of King Leopold III. Didisheim is angry (understandably) and is going to sue.... more costs for Vaessen :whistling:

In French: here.

I've read at least one bio of the late King Baudouin that asserts Count Michel Didisheim is indeed the the illegitimate son of Leopold III, fathered during a tryst with one of his wife Princess Astrid's ladies in waiting at the same time Astrid was pregnant with Baudouin.

Baudouin is alleged to have known that Didisheim was his half-brother.

Last edited:
The Belgian magazine HUMO believed it enough to interview the count... they even put it on their cover: "the hidden half-brother of Boudewijn and Albert"

Apparently the count wrote a novel entitled: "you have to dissappear", about an illegitimate great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria...

(article in Dutch)

'Jij moest verdwijnen': de sleutelroman van Michel Didisheim, de verborgen halfbroer van Boudewijn en Albert | Humo: The Wild Site

Didishem has the Saxe-Coburg hairline, as well as the thick hair in the male line...he also has the Coburg nose in my opinion.

IF the story is true I certainly hope poor Astrid did not know that her husband had impregnated another woman at roughly the same time she conceived Baudouin. She seems to have been absolutely crazy about Leopold III.

Well, it is rather well known that Leopold III was rather fond of the ladies, and that he was rather productive too, also when he was married to Lilian. I think I heard stories about simular behavior while he was still married to Astrid. I suppose it was just how royal men were in these days, sadly.

Anyway, Vaessen will have a tough time proving that he was right of course, it seems almost impossible that he can do that. All the assumptions of Didesheim are based on rumours etc. not on any facts that can be traced. Still, we have to see how far the case will actually go, maybe the two will settle something...

I agree with you, CaliforniaDreamin. He looks a lot like his alleged brothers. Also, it's quite a coincidence that his book is about an illegitimate child... But that doesn't necessarily make Vaessen's statements true.

Anyway, other dirt from Vaessen (cuz that's what we're here for, right?): not only Albert II would allegedly rather not see his eldest son succeed him, even Boudewijn himself seemed to have had his doubts about Philippe (according to Vaessen, of course) and would have rather seen Laurent on the throne. Boudewijn is even rumoured to have said that Laurent is the true genius of the family, and apparently he had nearly decided to give up on Philippe and to focus on getting Laurent ready for the throne. :eek:

Which is of course easy to say when the one man who knows the truth about this matter isn't exactly in a position to speak.

(source: Dag Allemaal, which devoted some 4 pages to the book)

Without any Statemen concerning the private life of the late King Leopold III, whe should better be careful.
Anyway , it is a good coming out for the Count's book.

I agree with you, CaliforniaDreamin. He looks a lot like his alleged brothers. Also, it's quite a coincidence that his book is about an illegitimate child... But that doesn't necessarily make Vaessen's statements true.

Anyway, other dirt from Vaessen (cuz that's what we're here for, right?): not only Albert II would allegedly rather not see his eldest son succeed him, even Boudewijn himself seemed to have had his doubts about Philippe (according to Vaessen, of course) and would have rather seen Laurent on the throne. Boudewijn is even rumoured to have said that Laurent is the true genius of the family, and apparently he had nearly decided to give up on Philippe and to focus on getting Laurent ready for the throne. :eek:

Which is of course easy to say when the one man who knows the truth about this matter isn't exactly in a position to speak.

(source: Dag Allemaal, which devoted some 4 pages to the book)

I will never in a million years believe that King Baudouin wanted Laurent on the throne...he reputedly changed the succession shortly before his death leaving Laurent LAST to inherit to make sure he never came anywhere near it...during his youth Laurent was wild and unstable...not close to any member of his family at all.

I will never in a million years believe that King Baudouin wanted Laurent on the throne...he reputedly changed the succession shortly before his death leaving Laurent LAST to inherit to make sure he never came anywhere near it...during his youth Laurent was wild and unstable...not close to any member of his family at all.
King Laurent I. that´s indeed a nice bonmot by Vaessen. :rolleyes: Last year this selfdeclared owner of the truth was describing the situation the very same way as CaliforniaDreamin. In the beginning of 2007 the tabloid Het Laatste Nieuws came up with three sensational articles on Laurent´s life as witnessed by Vaessen (seems he had an exclusive deal with HLN Back then). According to Vaessen himself he was hired in 1993 to temper Laurent. The latter should have gotten mad (literally) over the change of succession. Laurent was convinced it was all done to get him away from the throne, he didn´t believe a millisecond that gender equality was Baudouin´s motivation to change the law. Laurent was then seeking revenge and put together a dossier with embarrassing and hurtful facts about Albert (amongst other things also infos on Delphine). Rudy Bogaerts, his former teacher, should have supported Laurent in this detective work. Bogaerts was the perfect partner in crime since he felt humiliated for not being mentioned in Laurent´s CV. To make a long story short. Albert and Paola got very angry about Laurent´s actions, they thought their son was obsessed and Vaessen was hired as some kind of supernanny for Laurent. Vaessen claims he tried to reconcile the lost son with his parents. But that didn´t work out the way he wanted and Laurent slipped more and more into a depression and finally faked a suicide to get some attention. He then was conferred to a psychiatric hospital (this is definitely true) but fooled the doctors there. When he left the hospital not much had changed and he continued to humiliate his family, preferably during the remembrance services for King Baudouin, much to the disguise of the Luxembourgian branch of the family. Vaessen also described Laurent as unhappy and lonely but also rather clumsy person who thought of himself as a genius. Alas, he wasn’t that clever and performed some very confusing talks with Nobel Prize winners and couldn’t get a straight word out of his mouth when he met ministers. All in all no hint of Baudouin lobbying for King Laurent I.
Well nevermind that was last years talk and Vaessen certainly is not very impressed by his very own words anymore. Paper doesn´t blush and the pages had to be filled with…whatever. And with all respect, Vaessen does come across as pretty weird person who takes his readers for a fool and I bet the next thing he does is claiming to get death threats, he also did the same thing when his first book was published.

As for Didesheim, a well respected person indeed, there are so many books, articles and interviews out there who hint that he is the son of Leopold III. Last time I read about this was in an interview with Mario Danneels only two months ago and Didesheim didn´t react at all. Most likely he is really fed up by all this now, but I also wonder if all this recent press talk also is about promoting his book. But perhaps I´m just too sarcastic today. :cool:

King Laurent I. that´s indeed a nice bonmot by Vaessen. :rolleyes: Last year this selfdeclared owner of the truth was describing the situation the very same way as CaliforniaDreamin. In the beginning of 2007 the tabloid Het Laatste Nieuws came up with three sensational articles on Laurent´s life as witnessed by Vaessen (seems he had an exclusive deal with HLN Back then). According to Vaessen himself he was hired in 1993 to temper Laurent. The latter should have gotten mad (literally) over the change of succession. Laurent was convinced it was all done to get him away from the throne, he didn´t believe a millisecond that gender equality was Baudouin´s motivation to change the law. Laurent was then seeking revenge and put together a dossier with embarrassing and hurtful facts about Albert (amongst other things also infos on Delphine). Rudy Bogaerts, his former teacher, should have supported Laurent in this detective work. Bogaerts was the perfect partner in crime since he felt humiliated for not being mentioned in Laurent´s CV. To make a long story short. Albert and Paola got very angry about Laurent´s actions, they thought their son was obsessed and Vaessen was hired as some kind of supernanny for Laurent. Vaessen claims he tried to reconcile the lost son with his parents. But that didn´t work out the way he wanted and Laurent slipped more and more into a depression and finally faked a suicide to get some attention. He then was conferred to a psychiatric hospital (this is definitely true) but fooled the doctors there. When he left the hospital not much had changed and he continued to humiliate his family, preferably during the remembrance services for King Baudouin, much to the disguise of the Luxembourgian branch of the family. Vaessen also described Laurent as unhappy and lonely but also rather clumsy person who thought of himself as a genius. Alas, he wasn’t that clever and performed some very confusing talks with Nobel Prize winners and couldn’t get a straight word out of his mouth when he met ministers. All in all no hint of Baudouin lobbying for King Laurent I.
Well nevermind that was last years talk and Vaessen certainly is not very impressed by his very own words anymore. Paper doesn´t blush and the pages had to be filled with…whatever. And with all respect, Vaessen does come across as pretty weird person who takes his readers for a fool and I bet the next thing he does is claiming to get death threats, he also did the same thing when his first book was published.

As for Didesheim, a well respected person indeed, there are so many books, articles and interviews out there who hint that he is the son of Leopold III. Last time I read about this was in an interview with Mario Danneels only two months ago and Didesheim didn´t react at all. Most likely he is really fed up by all this now, but I also wonder if all this recent press talk also is about promoting his book. But perhaps I´m just too sarcastic today. :cool:

My goodness...this is all even worse than I suspected johann! I had no idea that Laurent had done a stint in mental facility but it doesn't surprise me...it's really a miracle that he got someone as gentle and down to earth as Claire Coombs to take him on, if you ask me!

Did he really make a scene at Baudouin's funeral? Because I saw one photo of him at the funeral and he was crying but otherwise he looked okay....

Well, I never said I believed it, I just thought this is the kind of revelations worth mentioning.

And here's another piece of gossip:
Vaessen tells Dag Allemaal (and his readership) that Laurent was never accepted, not in his family, but not among the other European princes either. He even states they like to ridicule and bully him. He goes on to describe a birthday party of HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco. Prince Albert had to blow out the candles on his birthday cake, and he turned to Laurent and asked him if he would like to help him. So Laurent, always ready to oblige, leans over towards the cake to blow out some candles, and ... Albert and some other princes pushed our poor Laurent into the cake... He ended up smudged in whipped cream (or whatever the cake was made of).

No wonder he ended up in a mental institution if that is the way people generally treated him...

I'll keep hunting for some more revelations, they always make me laugh, though mostly because they are so incredible.

Prince Laurent of Belgium is now the King's son...
What happened before belongs to the past.
He is now Claire's husband and a beloved father of Louise and the twins.
What VAESSEN says

What Vaessen says , there is not any proof , Prince Laurent does not deserve this...

Last edited by a moderator:
you are right about that, maria-olivia. Laurent doesn't deserve the way Vaessen treats him, nobody in the family does. If he has any proof, I wouldn't know about it. He dared to write the book, so either he has proof, or he knows he doesn't need proof because nobody will contest him in court.

I'm just reporting what he says, so don't shoot the messenger :flowers:

Well, I never said I believed it, I just thought this is the kind of revelations worth mentioning.

And here's another piece of gossip:
Vaessen tells Dag Allemaal (and his readership) that Laurent was never accepted, not in his family, but not among the other European princes either. He even states they like to ridicule and bully him. He goes on to describe a birthday party of HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco. Prince Albert had to blow out the candles on his birthday cake, and he turned to Laurent and asked him if he would like to help him. So Laurent, always ready to oblige, leans over towards the cake to blow out some candles, and ... Albert and some other princes pushed our poor Laurent into the cake... He ended up smudged in whipped cream (or whatever the cake was made of).

No wonder he ended up in a mental institution if that is the way people generally treated him...

I'll keep hunting for some more revelations, they always make me laugh, though mostly because they are so incredible.

I'm afraid I'm with you, Lady L! I am sorry but I find these stories not only fascinating but hilarious!

I don't know why we can't lighten up and have some laughs on these Forums-there are enough grim happenings to read about for people who want that!

Did he really make a scene at Baudouin's funeral? Because I saw one photo of him at the funeral and he was crying but otherwise he looked okay....
No, not during the funeral. Vaessen had it about the annual remembrance mass for the late members of the RF in February. At the end of the service the family always visits the crypt. And Laurent (according to Vaessen) was reflecting upon the tombs. He found it rather unfair that some got a huge tomb while others had to do with a small stone plate, He then should have asked himself loudly what he would get “Nana. Cola. Blabla. Basta.” perhaps. All according to Vaessen. :rolleyes:

And since LadyLeana introduced Monaco - another 2007 rumour by Vaessen was about Laurent and Stephanie of Monaco planning to tie the knot. :D Alas, both Alberts, the one of Belgium and the other from Monaco, as well as Rainier should have opposed the marriage. Too bad, this would have been a real power couple. :stuart:
All in all Vaessen is just so into the “the more the merrier” strategy rumourwise and many things are so obviously made up that you have to ask yourself if Vaessen thinks of his readers as brainless fools. I also can recommend watching him on tv, it´s like bad comedy and it all gets worse when he opens his mouth and starts to talk.

Not that the Belgian royals are innocent little angels, far from that, but I think it will be impossible for him to proof most of his allegations, simply because he just invented them or blows things out of proportion. I mean how to proof the IVF rumour, or Didesheim being the son of Leopold III, or Philippe throwing his underwear onto the chandeliers, or Laurent planning to wed Stephanie? He just knows he gets through with it since the RF isn´t in the habit of going to court or even commenting on such rumours. His first book already was full of unproven statements and nothing did happen, so why not try it a second time and cash in again? :rolleyes: And he has gotten his five minutes of fame now and already is on his way to become non-news again and quite telling, the Belgian online bookstore azur sells his book in the category “fiction”. And that´s finally well-deserved. ;)

No, not during the funeral. Vaessen had it about the annual remembrance mass for the late members of the RF in February. At the end of the service the family always visits the crypt. And Laurent (according to Vaessen) was reflecting upon the tombs. He found it rather unfair that some got a huge tomb while others had to do with a small stone plate, He then should have asked himself loudly what he would get “Nana. Cola. Blabla. Basta.” perhaps. All according to Vaessen. :rolleyes:

And since LadyLeana introduced Monaco - another 2007 rumour by Vaessen was about Laurent and Stephanie of Monaco planning to tie the knot. :D Alas, both Alberts, the one of Belgium and the other from Monaco, as well as Rainier should have opposed the marriage. Too bad, this would have been a real power couple. :stuart:
All in all Vaessen is just so into the “the more the merrier” strategy rumourwise and many things are so obviously made up that you have to ask yourself if Vaessen thinks of his readers as brainless fools. I also can recommend watching him on tv, it´s like bad comedy and it all gets worse when he opens his mouth and starts to talk.

Not that the Belgian royals are innocent little angels, far from that, but I think it will be impossible for him to proof most of his allegations, simply because he just invented them or blows things out of proportion. I mean how to proof the IVF rumour, or Didesheim being the son of Leopold III, or Philippe throwing his underwear onto the chandeliers, or Laurent planning to wed Stephanie? He just knows he gets through with it since the RF isn´t in the habit of going to court or even commenting on such rumours. His first book already was full of unproven statements and nothing did happen, so why not try it a second time and cash in again? :rolleyes: And he has gotten his five minutes of fame now and already is on his way to become non-news again and quite telling, the Belgian online bookstore azur sells his book in the category “fiction”. And that´s finally well-deserved. ;)

I CANNOT picture Philippe throwing his underwear onto a chandelier! Laurent? Sure. But not Philippe unless he has a wild naughty side that we don't hear about.

The very idea of Stephanie of Monaco and Laurent of Belgium hooking up should have been enough to throw both families into a state of panic, if not cardiac arrest!

Thank goodness it was only a rumor.

Sorry to go off topic, but what happened to Pincess Astrid and a nanny?

Sorry to go off topic, but what happened to Pincess Astrid and a nanny?

In short: the nanny critisized the parenting skills of Princess Astrid, got a lot of press, was shocked by it and apologised. There is a thread about it here. :flowers:

I didn't know where else to put this article, so this seems the m,ost appropriate place as it deals with Philippe's suitability for the throne as well.

-
Newspaper de Standaard reports that Kathy Pauwels, royalty journalist for VTM, has written a book about Albert & Paola. In the book she claims that Philippe and his father do not have the best relationship (no surprise here) and that the prince thinks his father does not prepare him well for the throne.

According to Paulels, the king is too much under the influence of his cabinet chef Jaques Van Ypersele de Strihou, and the prince suffers from that.

De Standaard Online - Prins Filip 'niet goed voorbereid op koningschap'

Last edited:
And it's known that Philippe was prepared by King Baudouin to be his successor, and not the successor of Albert, who was skipped in the plans of King Baudouin in favour of Philippe...
I don't know what to think: it seems to me that King Albert is working quite well as King, and some belgian member of this Forum confirmed it, but...I hope the divergences between the King and Philippe are not deep, or that the ideas of Philippe are really better then his Father's ideas...

And it's known that Philippe was prepared by King Baudouin to be his successor, and not the successor of Albert, who was skipped in the plans of King Baudouin in favour of Philippe...
I don't know what to think: it seems to me that King Albert is working quite well as King, and some belgian member of this Forum confirmed it, but...I hope the divergences between the King and Philippe are not deep, or that the ideas of Philippe are really better then his Father's ideas...

yes, during the lifetime of the late king baudouin, it was expected that if the belgian throne should past to prince albert (now king), he would renounce the throne in favor of his son phillippe (dubbed "the little king"). i am of the opinion that philippe, was groomed to succeed the throne by the late king b.......
however alberts wife paola, was not over popular in belgium, due to the state of her marriage and her inabilty to speak flemish, she was forever being castigated in the press and by the belgium public due to her lifestyle. it would appear that this may been one of reasons that if he should become king, albert was to step down, as his wife, might not be accepted as queen !!!!. anyhow as things have worked out both the present king and his queen is popular and proved to be a credit to the belgian people. no worries there.

Yes, well, that the King is too much under the influence of his Cabinet Chef is not unheard of either. And, unfortunately, the same is true for Prince Philippe and his cabinet, or so some people say.

I must modify some of the above comments, though. It is true that Baudouin took Philippe under his wings, and prepared him for the throne. It is, however, not true that Albert was never meant to succeed. But Albert, as Prince of Liege, had a lot of practise, being the second in line, leading lot's of economic missions and improving Belgium's image abroad, for over 40 years. If Philippe had not been "educated" and prepared for his "job" by Baudouin, you must realize he would only have started to prepare about 16 years ago.

I think both Albert and Baudouin thought that it would be best to prepare Philippe from as early on as possible - since after a while it became quite clear that there was no hope for the King to have any children. And who better to prepare him than the reigning King?

I do wonder about that book, I think it will be pretty interesting. And the article is right, Albert and Philippe do not "go out" together much. Not many official engagements they do together. Certainly no official trips abroad in recent history that I can think of.

What actions by Crown Prince Phillipe or King Albert will signal to royal commentators that the royal training is already well underway? What should Crown Prince Phillipe do to improve his approval ratings? Torrents of never-ending criticism aimed at Crown Prince Phillipe is rather annoying. It is never enough for some people ...

K Albert was not that popular during his brother's reign and the state of his marriage was also a reason for some to believe that he would not ascend to the throne. However,K. Albert and Q. Paola seem like a very happy couple now and P Mathilde has always seemed like the ideal wife for Philippe. The fact that they do not create fireworks every time they appear in public should not be a negative. They seem like a very happy couple and in tune to one another. As CPs go P Mathilde seems the most qualified to make a very regal queen.

There´s an interesting book on Philippe "Philippe, prince héritier" by Barend Leyts, Brigitte Balfoort and Mark Van den Wijngaert, published in 2008.

I like Mathilde very much, I went to their wedding in Brussels, almost 10 years ago! Times goes by so fast...

A little word about the book mentioned above. Yes it is interesting, but not very revealing. When I read it, i saw it as a collection of stories we already know. The authors of the book say this about the sources:

L'ouvrage fut difficile à réaliser car peu de gens de l'entourage du prince ont accepté de parler. On retrouve cependant des propos de Wilfried Martens, ancien Premier ministre, et du comte Michel Didisheim, ancien chef de cabinet du roi Albert II. Ce livre est la traduction en français de l'ouvrage "Kroonprins Filip" sorti en octobre 2007.

Very few people accepted to talk. People who did talk, are a old prime ministre and the old chief of the cabinet of Albert II. So, no close friends. In my eyes, these are people who had several conversations with the prince, but who don't really know him. The more 'cause Philippe is a very introvert person.

It is remarcable that the period from when Philippe was 20 till his 30 is a black whole, very little is known about that period of his life. I think it is wrong to say that the prince was lonely and isolated. As a member of a royal family they have many contacts with other noblemen all over the world. It is true he was far away from the media, but I don't think that means he was doing nothing. I think he has travelled a lot, studied and volunteered in several organisations (more than we know about).

Hopefully the princely couple will give an interview and photosession on the occasion of their 10th weddinganniversary...

Bacause of the 10 jear wedding anniversary f prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde this year photographer Olivier Polet has made a new book with more then 100 pictures of the family. Also new exclusive pictures.

Cover of the book
Olivier Polet : Photographer

Thank you for the information! :flowers: Do you know when and where you can buy it?

Some more screenshots of pictures that will be shown in the new book about 10 years Philippe and Mathilde
http://img152.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55712_PA270011_122_238lo.JPG#
http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55723_PA270001_122_448lo.JPG#
http://img241.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55726_PA270002_122_561lo.JPG#
http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55778_PA270009_122_484lo.JPG
http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55788_PA270010_122_4lo.JPG
http://img240.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56156_PA270047_122_415lo.JPG
http://img185.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56161_PA270035_122_166lo.JPG
http://img23.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56166_PA270052_122_128lo.JPG
http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56170_PA270036_122_175lo.JPG
http://img185.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56213_PA270037_122_153lo.JPG
http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56215_PA270038_122_590lo.JPG
http://img262.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56525_PA270026_122_234lo.JPG