The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
LadyLeana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: -, Belgium
Posts: 1,273
Well, I never said I believed it, I just thought this is the kind of revelations worth mentioning.

And here's another piece of gossip:
Vaessen tells Dag Allemaal (and his readership) that Laurent was never accepted, not in his family, but not among the other European princes either. He even states they like to ridicule and bully him. He goes on to describe a birthday party of HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco. Prince Albert had to blow out the candles on his birthday cake, and he turned to Laurent and asked him if he would like to help him. So Laurent, always ready to oblige, leans over towards the cake to blow out some candles, and ... Albert and some other princes pushed our poor Laurent into the cake... He ended up smudged in whipped cream (or whatever the cake was made of).

No wonder he ended up in a mental institution if that is the way people generally treated him...

I'll keep hunting for some more revelations, they always make me laugh, though mostly because they are so incredible.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 2,387
Prince Laurent of Belgium is now the King's son...
What happened before belongs to the past.
He is now Claire's husband and a beloved father of Louise and the twins.
What VAESSEN says

What Vaessen says , there is not any proof , Prince Laurent does not deserve this...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
LadyLeana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: -, Belgium
Posts: 1,273
you are right about that, maria-olivia. Laurent doesn't deserve the way Vaessen treats him, nobody in the family does. If he has any proof, I wouldn't know about it. He dared to write the book, so either he has proof, or he knows he doesn't need proof because nobody will contest him in court.

I'm just reporting what he says, so don't shoot the messenger
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
Well, I never said I believed it, I just thought this is the kind of revelations worth mentioning.

And here's another piece of gossip:
Vaessen tells Dag Allemaal (and his readership) that Laurent was never accepted, not in his family, but not among the other European princes either. He even states they like to ridicule and bully him. He goes on to describe a birthday party of HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco. Prince Albert had to blow out the candles on his birthday cake, and he turned to Laurent and asked him if he would like to help him. So Laurent, always ready to oblige, leans over towards the cake to blow out some candles, and ... Albert and some other princes pushed our poor Laurent into the cake... He ended up smudged in whipped cream (or whatever the cake was made of).

No wonder he ended up in a mental institution if that is the way people generally treated him...

I'll keep hunting for some more revelations, they always make me laugh, though mostly because they are so incredible.

I'm afraid I'm with you, Lady L! I am sorry but I find these stories not only fascinating but hilarious!

I don't know why we can't lighten up and have some laughs on these Forums-there are enough grim happenings to read about for people who want that!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Did he really make a scene at Baudouin's funeral? Because I saw one photo of him at the funeral and he was crying but otherwise he looked okay....
No, not during the funeral. Vaessen had it about the annual remembrance mass for the late members of the RF in February. At the end of the service the family always visits the crypt. And Laurent (according to Vaessen) was reflecting upon the tombs. He found it rather unfair that some got a huge tomb while others had to do with a small stone plate, He then should have asked himself loudly what he would get “Nana. Cola. Blabla. Basta.” perhaps. All according to Vaessen.

And since LadyLeana introduced Monaco - another 2007 rumour by Vaessen was about Laurent and Stephanie of Monaco planning to tie the knot. Alas, both Alberts, the one of Belgium and the other from Monaco, as well as Rainier should have opposed the marriage. Too bad, this would have been a real power couple. :stuart:
All in all Vaessen is just so into the “the more the merrier” strategy rumourwise and many things are so obviously made up that you have to ask yourself if Vaessen thinks of his readers as brainless fools. I also can recommend watching him on tv, it´s like bad comedy and it all gets worse when he opens his mouth and starts to talk.

Not that the Belgian royals are innocent little angels, far from that, but I think it will be impossible for him to proof most of his allegations, simply because he just invented them or blows things out of proportion. I mean how to proof the IVF rumour, or Didesheim being the son of Leopold III, or Philippe throwing his underwear onto the chandeliers, or Laurent planning to wed Stephanie? He just knows he gets through with it since the RF isn´t in the habit of going to court or even commenting on such rumours. His first book already was full of unproven statements and nothing did happen, so why not try it a second time and cash in again? And he has gotten his five minutes of fame now and already is on his way to become non-news again and quite telling, the Belgian online bookstore azur sells his book in the category “fiction”. And that´s finally well-deserved.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 10-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by johann View Post
No, not during the funeral. Vaessen had it about the annual remembrance mass for the late members of the RF in February. At the end of the service the family always visits the crypt. And Laurent (according to Vaessen) was reflecting upon the tombs. He found it rather unfair that some got a huge tomb while others had to do with a small stone plate, He then should have asked himself loudly what he would get “Nana. Cola. Blabla. Basta.” perhaps. All according to Vaessen.

And since LadyLeana introduced Monaco - another 2007 rumour by Vaessen was about Laurent and Stephanie of Monaco planning to tie the knot. Alas, both Alberts, the one of Belgium and the other from Monaco, as well as Rainier should have opposed the marriage. Too bad, this would have been a real power couple. :stuart:
All in all Vaessen is just so into the “the more the merrier” strategy rumourwise and many things are so obviously made up that you have to ask yourself if Vaessen thinks of his readers as brainless fools. I also can recommend watching him on tv, it´s like bad comedy and it all gets worse when he opens his mouth and starts to talk.

Not that the Belgian royals are innocent little angels, far from that, but I think it will be impossible for him to proof most of his allegations, simply because he just invented them or blows things out of proportion. I mean how to proof the IVF rumour, or Didesheim being the son of Leopold III, or Philippe throwing his underwear onto the chandeliers, or Laurent planning to wed Stephanie? He just knows he gets through with it since the RF isn´t in the habit of going to court or even commenting on such rumours. His first book already was full of unproven statements and nothing did happen, so why not try it a second time and cash in again? And he has gotten his five minutes of fame now and already is on his way to become non-news again and quite telling, the Belgian online bookstore azur sells his book in the category “fiction”. And that´s finally well-deserved.

I CANNOT picture Philippe throwing his underwear onto a chandelier! Laurent? Sure. But not Philippe unless he has a wild naughty side that we don't hear about.

The very idea of Stephanie of Monaco and Laurent of Belgium hooking up should have been enough to throw both families into a state of panic, if not cardiac arrest!

Thank goodness it was only a rumor.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Sorry to go off topic, but what happened to Pincess Astrid and a nanny?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but what happened to Pincess Astrid and a nanny?
In short: the nanny critisized the parenting skills of Princess Astrid, got a lot of press, was shocked by it and apologised. There is a thread about it here.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 06-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,834
Belgian Royals in books and other publications

I didn't know where else to put this article, so this seems the m,ost appropriate place as it deals with Philippe's suitability for the throne as well.

-
Newspaper de Standaard reports that Kathy Pauwels, royalty journalist for VTM, has written a book about Albert & Paola. In the book she claims that Philippe and his father do not have the best relationship (no surprise here) and that the prince thinks his father does not prepare him well for the throne.

According to Paulels, the king is too much under the influence of his cabinet chef Jaques Van Ypersele de Strihou, and the prince suffers from that.

De Standaard Online - Prins Filip 'niet goed voorbereid op koningschap'
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 06-02-2009, 05:57 AM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 4,468
And it's known that Philippe was prepared by King Baudouin to be his successor, and not the successor of Albert, who was skipped in the plans of King Baudouin in favour of Philippe...
I don't know what to think: it seems to me that King Albert is working quite well as King, and some belgian member of this Forum confirmed it, but...I hope the divergences between the King and Philippe are not deep, or that the ideas of Philippe are really better then his Father's ideas...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: N/A, United Kingdom
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
And it's known that Philippe was prepared by King Baudouin to be his successor, and not the successor of Albert, who was skipped in the plans of King Baudouin in favour of Philippe...
I don't know what to think: it seems to me that King Albert is working quite well as King, and some belgian member of this Forum confirmed it, but...I hope the divergences between the King and Philippe are not deep, or that the ideas of Philippe are really better then his Father's ideas...
yes, during the lifetime of the late king baudouin, it was expected that if the belgian throne should past to prince albert (now king), he would renounce the throne in favor of his son phillippe (dubbed "the little king"). i am of the opinion that philippe, was groomed to succeed the throne by the late king b.......
however alberts wife paola, was not over popular in belgium, due to the state of her marriage and her inabilty to speak flemish, she was forever being castigated in the press and by the belgium public due to her lifestyle. it would appear that this may been one of reasons that if he should become king, albert was to step down, as his wife, might not be accepted as queen !!!!. anyhow as things have worked out both the present king and his queen is popular and proved to be a credit to the belgian people. no worries there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:31 PM
LadyLeana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: -, Belgium
Posts: 1,273
Yes, well, that the King is too much under the influence of his Cabinet Chef is not unheard of either. And, unfortunately, the same is true for Prince Philippe and his cabinet, or so some people say.

I must modify some of the above comments, though. It is true that Baudouin took Philippe under his wings, and prepared him for the throne. It is, however, not true that Albert was never meant to succeed. But Albert, as Prince of Liege, had a lot of practise, being the second in line, leading lot's of economic missions and improving Belgium's image abroad, for over 40 years. If Philippe had not been "educated" and prepared for his "job" by Baudouin, you must realize he would only have started to prepare about 16 years ago.

I think both Albert and Baudouin thought that it would be best to prepare Philippe from as early on as possible - since after a while it became quite clear that there was no hope for the King to have any children. And who better to prepare him than the reigning King?

I do wonder about that book, I think it will be pretty interesting. And the article is right, Albert and Philippe do not "go out" together much. Not many official engagements they do together. Certainly no official trips abroad in recent history that I can think of.
__________________
-- Logic takes you from a to b, imagination takes you everywhere. --
A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,884
What actions by Crown Prince Phillipe or King Albert will signal to royal commentators that the royal training is already well underway? What should Crown Prince Phillipe do to improve his approval ratings? Torrents of never-ending criticism aimed at Crown Prince Phillipe is rather annoying. It is never enough for some people ...
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,481
K Albert was not that popular during his brother's reign and the state of his marriage was also a reason for some to believe that he would not ascend to the throne. However,K. Albert and Q. Paola seem like a very happy couple now and P Mathilde has always seemed like the ideal wife for Philippe. The fact that they do not create fireworks every time they appear in public should not be a negative. They seem like a very happy couple and in tune to one another. As CPs go P Mathilde seems the most qualified to make a very regal queen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: -, Brazil
Posts: 183
There´s an interesting book on Philippe "Philippe, prince héritier" by Barend Leyts, Brigitte Balfoort and Mark Van den Wijngaert, published in 2008.

I like Mathilde very much, I went to their wedding in Brussels, almost 10 years ago! Times goes by so fast...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 PM
martha-louise's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Waterloo, Belgium
Posts: 242
A little word about the book mentioned above. Yes it is interesting, but not very revealing. When I read it, i saw it as a collection of stories we already know. The authors of the book say this about the sources:

L'ouvrage fut difficile à réaliser car peu de gens de l'entourage du prince ont accepté de parler. On retrouve cependant des propos de Wilfried Martens, ancien Premier ministre, et du comte Michel Didisheim, ancien chef de cabinet du roi Albert II. Ce livre est la traduction en français de l'ouvrage "Kroonprins Filip" sorti en octobre 2007.

Very few people accepted to talk. People who did talk, are a old prime ministre and the old chief of the cabinet of Albert II. So, no close friends. In my eyes, these are people who had several conversations with the prince, but who don't really know him. The more 'cause Philippe is a very introvert person.

It is remarcable that the period from when Philippe was 20 till his 30 is a black whole, very little is known about that period of his life. I think it is wrong to say that the prince was lonely and isolated. As a member of a royal family they have many contacts with other noblemen all over the world. It is true he was far away from the media, but I don't think that means he was doing nothing. I think he has travelled a lot, studied and volunteered in several organisations (more than we know about).

Hopefully the princely couple will give an interview and photosession on the occasion of their 10th weddinganniversary...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM
stephanievl's Avatar
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: n/a, Belgium
Posts: 3,074
Bacause of the 10 jear wedding anniversary f prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde this year photographer Olivier Polet has made a new book with more then 100 pictures of the family. Also new exclusive pictures.

Cover of the book
Olivier Polet : Photographer
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10-24-2009, 07:07 PM
kate2's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: /, Netherlands
Posts: 90
Thank you for the information! Do you know when and where you can buy it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM
stephanievl's Avatar
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: n/a, Belgium
Posts: 3,074
Some more screenshots of pictures that will be shown in the new book about 10 years Philippe and Mathilde
http://img152.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_238lo.JPG#
http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_448lo.JPG#
http://img241.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_561lo.JPG#
http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_484lo.JPG
http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php...10_122_4lo.JPG
http://img240.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_415lo.JPG
http://img185.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_166lo.JPG
http://img23.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_128lo.JPG
http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_175lo.JPG
http://img185.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_153lo.JPG
http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_590lo.JPG
http://img262.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_234lo.JPG
http://img252.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_374lo.JPG
http://img37.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_405lo.JPG
http://img260.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_246lo.JPG
http://img229.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_232lo.JPG
http://img250.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_195lo.JPG
http://img269.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_477lo.JPG
http://img149.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_479lo.JPG
http://img231.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_468lo.JPG
http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_223lo.JPG
http://img43.imagevenue.com/img.php?...4_122_70lo.JPG
http://img151.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_205lo.JPG
http://img270.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_187lo.JPG
http://img262.imagevenue.com/img.php...8_122_94lo.JPG
http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_491lo.JPG
http://img128.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_143lo.JPG
http://img210.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_204lo.JPG
http://img44.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_182lo.JPG
http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_411lo.JPG
http://img13.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_585lo.JPG
http://img16.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_525lo.JPG
http://img214.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_128lo.JPG
http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_118lo.JPG
http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?...5_122_87lo.JPG
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
belgian royal family, fabiola de mora y aragon, king albert ii, laurent, magazines, point de vue, prince laurent, queen fabiola, scandals


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Belgian Books fifiona Royal Library 67 06-04-2014 08:42 PM
How many Royal books do you own? HMTLove23 Royal Library 90 03-29-2014 08:38 AM
Diana books Josefine Royal Library 185 01-20-2012 09:11 PM
Map to the Belgian Royals at The Royal Forums Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 6 09-13-2007 07:52 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]