The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-11-2019, 04:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The coat of arms of the late Princess Joséphine Charlotte, Grand Duchess consort of Luxembourg combined the coats of Arms of a Belgian Princess with those of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Coat of arms of HRH Princess Joséphine Charlotte, Grand Duchess consort of Luxembourg

Is that official or Wikipedia-esque?
What is that Order surrounding the Arms? I do not recognize it as any Luxembourgian or Belgian Order.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Is that official or Wikipedia-esque?
What is that Order surrounding the Arms? I do not recognize it as any Luxembourgian or Belgian Order.
Its a Wikipedia variation of her arms using the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic.

Here's a similar one this time using the Grand Cross of the Order of the Seraphim.

August 25th, 1270 -Death of King Louis IX of France
Old 08-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Its a Wikipedia variation of her arms using the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic.

Here's a similar one this time using the Grand Cross of the Order of the Seraphim.

That is as bad. It must be a Wikipedia-fairytale. The small Luxembourg Arms have no cordon around, like the Dutch. Just the bare arms bedecked with a crown. See picture, this is the Arms depicted on private correspondence by WA when he was no King yet (click on the pic to XXL to see it in deep goldpainted detail): https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/32...b22a3d415c.jpg

It makes no sense to decorate the Arms of a Belgian-born Princess who became a Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg with a Swedish or Spanish cordon.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is as bad. It must be a Wikipedia-fairytale. The small Luxembourg Arms have no cordon around, like the Dutch. Just the bare arms bedecked with a crown. See picture, this is the Arms depicted on private correspondence by WA when he was no King yet (click on the pic to XXL to see it in deep detail): https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/32...b22a3d415c.jpg

It makes no sense to decorate the Arms of a Belgian-born Princess who became a Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg with a Swedish or Spanish cordon.
They've probably taken the Seraphim coat of arms of the Grand Duchess and posted it as her official coat of arms. Sloppy, but a good example of why we should take everything on Wikipedia with a pinch of salt
Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

No I don't think they were ever listed as official Coat of Arms just variations on Wikipedia but I agree they do indeed take a bit of artistic liberty with them.

August 25th, 1270 -Death of King Louis IX of France
Old 08-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Majesty

I can see where that Wikipedia illustration came from: it is taken from the plaquette made for Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte as Dame (Knight) in the Order of the Seraphim.

It is no fantasy Arms but the personal "small arms" of Joséphine-Charlotte, is the one without the Seraphim Order's cordon.

Image: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2a/45...824be726c3.jpg

Oval arms ( it is a female spouse )
Quarter I of Nassau
Quarters II and III of Brabant/Belgium
Quarter IV of Luxembourg
Bedecked with an "open crown" (without velvet) = a grand ducal crown. (The Dutch use the same open crown as Luxembourg (a grand-ducal crown) because apparently King Willem I thougth it was aesthetically more pleasing than a closed crown with red velvet.)

The King's Standard in Belgium, with a five "closed crowns" (= with a red velvet hat)

The King's Standard in the Netherlands, with an "open crown" (no velvet hat) - actually a grand-ducal crown

This is heraldically incorrect for a King and actually there are two existing royal crowns, clearly with a velvet cap. Here is the one used during the Investiture in 2013: http://www.lichtpunt.nl/upload/afbee...ldigd/loo5.jpg But when King Willem I said in 1815: "I want an open crown on my heraldic Arms!" who dared to disagree?

Tags
belgian royal family, monograms