Belgian National Day - 21 July, 1: 2009-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrid chatting with Delphine, I think none of us saw that one coming! :eek:

I think Philippe has started training himself into making miracles :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am starting to wonder whether Claire and Laurent have separated, even though I expect a total openness for this kind of news from the family, now that Philippe is king and the with the way he dealt with Delphine.

Mathilde trying to keep it cool and not crying while Elisabeth marches in front of the Royal Box.
They are all so proud of her and rightly so :flowers:

I think Philippe has started training himself into making miracles :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am starting to wonder whether Claire and Laurent have separated, even though I expect a total openness for this kind of news from the family, now that Philippe is king and the with the way he dealt with Delphine.

At this point, we're going to start shouting SANTO SUBITO ????

Mathilde trying to keep it cool and not crying while Elisabeth marches in front of the Royal Box.
They are all so proud of her and rightly so :flowers:

Mathilde actually got all teary eyed and I think she was like SOBBING THAT'S MY BABY inside :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as nice as i find it how King Philippe has dealt with Delphine and all that i find it a bit much to have her seat on the official Tribune now during the National Day.

At this point, we're going to start shouting SANTO SUBITO ????

PRONTO ???

Mathilde actually got all teary eyed and I think she was like UGLY SOBBING THAT'S MY BABY inside :lol:

Her inner Maxima was definitely showing. :lol: She almost forgot to be the Queen at the military parade and almost grabbed Philippe's arm shouting "I see her". Her husband may have Italian ancestors but she was the one in full "mamma" mode. Love it!!!

Videos:

Military Parade:

As much as nice as i find it how King Philippe has dealt with Delphine and all that i find it a bit much to have her seat on the official Tribune now during the National Day.

If the judges declared that she has every right to be considered equal to her siblings, then why should she be treated any different? Her siblings go to the military parade, she goes to the military parade.
With hindsight, I think it was unfair how Leopold III's children from his second marriage where treated. But I guess different times call for different behaviours and judgement.

Astrid chatting with Delphine, I think none of us saw that one coming! :eek:

Out of her siblings, Princess Astrid appears to be by far the most forgiving towards their parents. It would be quite in character if she is extending the same energy to her half-sister.

It is odd that King Philippe never invites the non-working royal princesses and princes to be seated on the dais on National Day and even persisted with that policy this year while making a special exception for Princess Delphine.

By King Philippe's standards, Jim O'Hare being seated with the official members of the family also seems to be a special exception, as I cannot recall the King inviting Lili Rosboch, Victoria Ortiz or other partners to join the family at official events before they were legally married.

If the judges declared that she has every right to be considered equal to her siblings, then why should she be treated any different? Her siblings go to the military parade, she goes to the military parade.

From the reports in the press (the ruling was not published), the judges did not rule her equal to her siblings. They receive dotations, publicly funded housing, and official roles as working representatives of the family, but the judges did not confer the same privileges on Delphine.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/...rg-king-albert-philippe-laurent-astrid-royal/

With hindsight, I think it was unfair how Leopold III's children from his second marriage where treated. But I guess different times call for different behaviours and judgement.

But Princess Esmeralda and Princess Léa, and the other princesses and princes of the royal family, have still not been invited this year.

Wasn't it said that Claire had to fight with a serious illness before getting ill with Covid-19? She may have something similar to a long Covid, which would prevent her to be present today.

But Princess Esmeralda and Princess Léa, and the other princesses and princes of the royal family, have still not been invited this year.

I wasn't specifically talking about the National Défilé, but about the general treatment as sort of second class children, in comparison to Baudouin, Josephine Charlotte and Albert. And I don't think it is Philippe's responsibility now, this was something that Baudouin or Albert should have fixed years ago.

Also, in all fairness, the National Day has been extremely reduced this year, because of the pandemic and what happened last week in Belgium, and because of the social distancing I don't think inviting dozens of princes and princesses is the right thing to do, if only from a communication point of view.

Wasn't it said that Claire had to fight with a serious illness before getting ill with Covid-19? She may have something similar to a long Covid, which would prevent her to be present today.

I had no idea. I am so sorry for her if that's the case.
Even Wim Dehandschutter on Twitter has speculated today about a possible split, even though he made clear Laurent himself denies it.

A national Defilé for happy fews.
3 Tunnels , streets along the Cathedral , rue Royale , Place des Palais and others around were closed for the belgians .
I only look the first part of the Defilé on TV to see our lovely Duchess of Brabant!
Princess Delphine and Jim O' Hare were perfect Colonel Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz as usual, and in the Middle Prince Laurent with strange glasses .
King Philippe is a great King who is doing well , and he has a Heart . Bravo Sire !

I agree, especially with how smug she looks. When Philippe's children get married will we see Delphine invited to mingle among other wedding guests with Albert and Paola??:ohmy:

But in a way, it would serve Albert right. If he had dealt with her in a respectful, honorable way years ago it might never have come to this.:ermm:6

Was it too soon after her recognition?

I agree, especially with how smug she looks. When Philippe's children get married will we see Delphine invited to mingle among other wedding guests with Albert and Paola??:ohmy:

But in a way, it would serve Albert right. If he had dealt with her in a respectful, honorable way years ago it might never have come to this.:ermm:6

How would you have wanted her to look?

As for a possible future wedding invitation: who knows?

I had no idea. I am so sorry for her if that's the case.
Even Wim Dehandschutter on Twitter has speculated today about a possible split, even though he made clear Laurent himself denies it.

I went on his Twitter account and was able to find some papers on the rumours. I would be sad if they were true.

Who was the man sitting with Astrid and Lorenz?

I fully agree. Until today this event was limited to those (closest) in line to the throne and their spouses.

It makes a lot of sense to include Delphine in the yearly remembrance of family members that passed away in February (which is also attended by other princesses who are not in line to the throne); but something completely different to invite someone who is not in line to the throne together with her partner who is not her spouse nor fiancé (if I understand it correctly).

I would assume so and that sounds about right. Invite for family-related events but not for state events.

Last edited:
I loved seeing Princess Elisabeth at the National Day parade. Elisabeth is getting better.
I also enjoyed seeing Gabriel, Emmanuel and Eleonore.
I like seeing how Philippe, Astrid and Laurent get along with Delphine in public.
Philippe and Mathilde are doing a great job as Kings of the Belgians.
I don't know if the rumors about Laurent and Claire are true. I hope it's okay with Claire. When did we last see Claire?

Isn't it up to the King to decide who he wants at which ceremony? Before Delphine there was the annual fuss about what was happening with Laurent.

Do we know if Delphine will be there every year? No. Does it really matter? No. She's family; she's not a random stranger up there, that's the point.

Philippe is sending a message by not excluding her from the first National Day after they are officially siblings. That seems to matter more than prior protocol.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Was it too soon after her recognition?

I still think she does not belong there. But then if she want's to attend and the King is ok with it i think she should not be seated in the front row but more in the background.

I still think she does not belong there. But then if she want's to attend and the King is ok with it i think she should not be seated in the front row but more in the background.

I think it's King Philippe's way of showing that Delphine is included in the family. That's why Delphine is invited to some events where her brothers are.
In fact, the whole family seems to handle it well.
King Philippe was smart and resolved a situation that lasted for many years.

I think it's King Philippe's way of showing that Delphine is included in the family. That's why Delphine is invited to some events where her brothers are.
In fact, the whole family seems to handle it well.
King Philippe was smart and resolved a situation that lasted for many years.

Maybe. But that is a State Occasion not a Family occasion. and she no ifficial role in the Monarchy and is also not in the line of succession.

His adult nehews/nieces are never present. Only sometimes some of them where present but that was when they where still children.

Maybe. But that is a State Occasion not a Family occasion. and she no ifficial role in the Monarchy and is also not in the line of succession.

His adult nehews/nieces are never present. Only sometimes some of them where present but that was when they where still children.

Thank you, now I understand your viewpoint better.

I think both Philippe and Astrid seem to be "clan" oriented people, like if you share blood with them, they'll be there for you no matter what (lord knows they have enough practice with all the things Laurent has done over the years).

Last edited:
It was to be expected. I think the King has handled the matter of Delphine well.

Yes I agree. It's very humane.

Slightly off topic but is Mr O'Hare Irish, British or another nationality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom