Belgian National Day - 21 July, 1: 2009-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed looking at the photos of the BRF celebrating National Day. Princess Elisabeth has grown up so much - this was her first National Day as Duchess of Brabant and her parent's first National Day as King and Queen.

Like others here, I thought that what the woman in the crowd did to Princess Eleonore was a little inappropriate, and I'm surprised that Philippe and Mathilde went along with it. It must have been quite scary for Eleonore, since she probably didn't know what was going to happen. The woman could've just asked for a photo politely, without all the fuss. Were there any bodyguards nearby when this happened?

I had the great pleasure to be there on the 21st. :w00t: Here are a couple of my photos:

imgbox - fast, simple image host

Thanks for sharing your photos with us, Flipje. It looks like you were quite close to the BRF, what a wonderful experience that must have been for you. :flowers:

Oh I hope there are photos of the entire family for today! I've been waiting for this day so much in hopes of seeing someone I've been missing for so long!
God bless Belgium!

Elisabeth looks SO beautiful, I love the way she dresses, not like a little child but not like a woman yet, it's perfect for her age.

Mathilde is wearing Natan and a Fabienne Delvigne hat, the men of the family handsome as usual :wub:

What a lovely family we have here.... Elisabeth is very beautiful !

Beautiful pictures very beautiful family. Lucky belgians. Yes Elizabeth become a very beautiful girl.

Belgium

Nice snapshots, nice royal family, congratulations to Royal Family and the people of Belgium

What a lovely royal family! Elizabeth is very beautiful

Where can we watcj the defilée?

Last edited by a moderator:
The events look great and the family is lovely as always. I feel so old looking at Elisabeth, she was just a child yesterday and now she's becoming a gorgeous young woman :sad:

When Prince Laurent arrived at his very seat , this was dirty and cleaned it with his white gloves and after sitting difficultly he slept.

When Prince Laurent arrived at his very seat , this was dirty and cleaned it with his white gloves and after sitting difficultly he slept.

I was watching the live stream a couple of minutes ago and Prince Laurent was caught again on camera dozing off !

BTW, I'm curious about the seating arrangements. I understand the focus is on the King, the Queen and their children, but I find it slightly odd that the King's siblings are seated so far from the monarch, in a somewhat segregated position. Is that normal protocol in Belgium or does it tell anything about a possible strain in the King's relationship with his brother and sister ?

I think it was the same when Albert was king. The King with his wife and the heir (then with his wife and now with her siblings) on the main stage. The rest of the family on a smaller stage next to the big one.

I think it was the same when Albert was king. The King with his wife and the heir (then with his wife and now with her siblings) on the main stage. The rest of the family on a smaller stage next to the big one.
That's how I recall it too. And IIRC Prince Philippe was also seated at the lower stage during the first years of Alberts reign while Fabiola always remained on the main stage.

On another note. Ever since the new government took over the media was commenting on the rather 'special' situation how during the parade Philippe will be joined by 2 ministers from the Flemish nationalist party N-VA now. It all looked rather relaxed and unspectacular, guess some will be slightly disappointed. :cool:
And thumbs up for the royal kids, they managed to look interested and pleasant – which unfortunately cannot be said about Laurent.

Last edited:
Queen Mathilde looks great and lovely to see the kids. :flowers:

The King , the Queen and their 4 Children. That's all.
As always Laurent and Astrid were sitting at the same places , but I don't understand why the King's Nephews were not invited. Amadeo and Joachim served the Belgian Army ...
Our royals are no Family anymore , Prince Laurent shows it he did not enjoy and slept....

Perhaps, the nephews did not want to come
Now, the royal family is the king, the queen and the 4 children as in Spain

Perhaps, the nephews did not want to come
Now, the royal family is the king, the queen and the 4 children as in Spain

Also during the reign of King Albert II. never all children of pricness Astrid attended. Most times only a few of them or none at all. But the children of Prince Laurent always attended tzhje Militaray Defilee the last years of their grandfathers reign.

The King , the Queen and their 4 Children. That's all.
As always Laurent and Astrid were sitting at the same places , but I don't understand why the King's Nephews were not invited. Amadeo and Joachim served the Belgian Army ...
Our royals are no Family anymore , Prince Laurent shows it he did not enjoy and slept....

They didn't come last year either and frankly it is better that the Royal Family is downsized this way, they all came when A&P were the Monarchs but now the spotlight has to be in P, M and their family.

They didn't come last year either and frankly it is better that the Royal Family is downsized this way, they all came when A&P were the Monarchs but now the spotlight has to be in P, M and their family.

I agree, the Royal Family is composed by the King and the Queen and their children. Press and "audience" seem to be more interested in the little princes (Hola for example dedicated an entire article to Elisabeth for this national day) than to the other king Albert's grandchildren. Maybe I'm a bit off topic here, but I think the sovereign made a clear statement when didn't grant any title to his nephew's wife.
As for Laurent, he's always been the black sheep, and press is always ready to catch him in foul..and unfortunately he regularly obliges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom