The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
When Prince Laurent arrived at his very seat , this was dirty and cleaned it with his white gloves and after sitting difficultly he slept.

I was watching the live stream a couple of minutes ago and Prince Laurent was caught again on camera dozing off !

BTW, I'm curious about the seating arrangements. I understand the focus is on the King, the Queen and their children, but I find it slightly odd that the King's siblings are seated so far from the monarch, in a somewhat segregated position. Is that normal protocol in Belgium or does it tell anything about a possible strain in the King's relationship with his brother and sister ?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

I think it was the same when Albert was king. The King with his wife and the heir (then with his wife and now with her siblings) on the main stage. The rest of the family on a smaller stage next to the big one.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I think it was the same when Albert was king. The King with his wife and the heir (then with his wife and now with her siblings) on the main stage. The rest of the family on a smaller stage next to the big one.
That's how I recall it too. And IIRC Prince Philippe was also seated at the lower stage during the first years of Alberts reign while Fabiola always remained on the main stage.

On another note. Ever since the new government took over the media was commenting on the rather 'special' situation how during the parade Philippe will be joined by 2 ministers from the Flemish nationalist party N-VA now. It all looked rather relaxed and unspectacular, guess some will be slightly disappointed.
And thumbs up for the royal kids, they managed to look interested and pleasant – which unfortunately cannot be said about Laurent.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Great images from Belga, and I love Robin's images of Queen Mathilde.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you cdm for the link. I could Watch the veremony.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Queen Mathilde looks great and lovely to see the kids.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

The King , the Queen and their 4 Children. That's all.
As always Laurent and Astrid were sitting at the same places , but I don't understand why the King's Nephews were not invited. Amadeo and Joachim served the Belgian Army ...
Our royals are no Family anymore , Prince Laurent shows it he did not enjoy and slept....
Old 07-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps, the nephews did not want to come
Now, the royal family is the king, the queen and the 4 children as in Spain
Old 07-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Queen Mathilde stuns in Natan dress and Fabienne Delvigne hat*as the royal family lead Belgian National Day celebrations | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Great photos.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Perhaps, the nephews did not want to come
Now, the royal family is the king, the queen and the 4 children as in Spain
Also during the reign of King Albert II. never all children of pricness Astrid attended. Most times only a few of them or none at all. But the children of Prince Laurent always attended tzhje Militaray Defilee the last years of their grandfathers reign.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
As always Laurent and Astrid were sitting at the same places , but I don't understand why the King's Nephews were not invited. Amadeo and Joachim served the Belgian Army ...
Our royals are no Family anymore , Prince Laurent shows it he did not enjoy and slept....
They didn't come last year either and frankly it is better that the Royal Family is downsized this way, they all came when A&P were the Monarchs but now the spotlight has to be in P, M and their family.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
They didn't come last year either and frankly it is better that the Royal Family is downsized this way, they all came when A&P were the Monarchs but now the spotlight has to be in P, M and their family.
I agree, the Royal Family is composed by the King and the Queen and their children. Press and "audience" seem to be more interested in the little princes (Hola for example dedicated an entire article to Elisabeth for this national day) than to the other king Albert's grandchildren. Maybe I'm a bit off topic here, but I think the sovereign made a clear statement when didn't grant any title to his nephew's wife.
As for Laurent, he's always been the black sheep, and press is always ready to catch him in foul..and unfortunately he regularly obliges.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:19 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
A clip of the prince sleeping:

Prins Laurent doet een dutje tijdens defilé - HLN.be

I suppose Astrid's children may be on holiday? They seem to have normal work or study schedueles and they are private people so I understand that they may prefer not to cut their holiday short.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:25 AM
Courtier

You can't take Laurent anywhere smh.
Claire is a grade A saint tbh.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:10 AM
Royal Highness

BELGIAN NATIONAL DAY 2015 | Selda Göktaş
Old 07-22-2015, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
You can't take Laurent anywhere smh.
Claire is a grade A saint tbh.
I can not understand this man. Is national day of the country , is the brother of King and go there to sleep? No understand that first of all expose themselves or do all this on purpose? Mystery.
I agree about Claire is saint indeed.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
The events look great and the family is lovely as always. I feel so old looking at Elisabeth, she was just a child yesterday and now she's becoming a gorgeous young woman

And is also now just a bit past her Father's shoulder height wise too. Eeeep!! When did that happen!?! Time sure flies, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Great images from Belga, and I love Robin's images of Queen Mathilde.

So do I!! He's taken some gorgeous Royal Pictures of late.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Administrator

While Philippe, Mathilde and the children attended the mass in Brussels yesterday, Laurent and Claire did so in Mons and Astrid and Lorenz attended the mass in Antwerpen.

Here are some pics:

** 7sur7.be: Laurent et Claire ont assisté au Te Deum à Mons **

** lesoir.be: Laurent et Claire ont choisi Mons pour célébrer la fête nationale **

** laprovince.be: Mons : le prince Laurent et la princesse Claire en visite éclair pour la fête nationale (photos) **

** nieuwsblad.be: Bart De Wever ontvangt prinses Astrid op Te Deum **

** hln.be: Honderden nieuwsgierigen voor prinses Astrid **
Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

PPE

PPE Agency

PPE Agency

Tags
archduke lorenz, belgium, brussels, king albert ii, king philippe, military, national day, parade, prince laurent, prince lorenz, princess astrid, princess claire, queen fabiola, queen mathilde, queen paola, te deum