Belgian National Day - 21 July, 1: 2009-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smart idea, really nice that we were given a glimpse of this part of the preparation of the princess who is turning 18 in a few months. She seems a lovely young lady.

I am beginning to think of Princess Elisabeth as the rising star/secret weapon of the Belgian monarchy.

She is an exceptionally radiant and poised teenager.;)

Because She received great love from both of her Parents , a former perfect dutch education , what Philippe, Albert II and Baudouin did not had;

Oh I love the one of Elisabeth under the portrait of King Leopold I. Very poignant.

A good point. After nearly being toppled from his throne by the Dutch invasion, King Leopold I would probably have been relieved by the knowledge that his heirs would maintain their crown for at least six generations.

A good point. After nearly being toppled from his throne by the Dutch invasion, King Leopold I would probably have been relieved by the knowledge that his heirs would maintain their crown for at least six generations.

No hard feelings between the Orange-Nassaus and the family Van België/De Belgique. Especially under Queen Wilhelmina - whom was very charmed by young King Léopold III- the relationship became excellent. In 1839, when the Kingdom of the Netherlands finally accepted the new country, King Léopold - knowing he had to establish his new throne- made sure that the new Belgian state engaged in a prudent way to compensate the Orange-Nassaus for lost properties in the Southern Netherlands (nowadays Belgium). For an example the expensive art collection and furniture of the Palais du Prince d'Orange in Brussels was returned to King Willem II. This was a good plaster on the Dutch royal wound.

Being toppled by the Dutch wasn't a realistic outcome as long as Leopold continued to be supported by Britain and France, which is what ultimately happened.

Having said that, Belgium's survival as a multinational buffer country under an imported constitutional monarchy was unlikely and it is indeed extraordinary that the Coburgs were able to survive two World Wars and keep their throne for nearly 200 years now.

Oh I love the one of Elisabeth under the portrait of King Leopold I. Very poignant.
I hope tonight, even if she has not been announced, Elisabeth will attend the concert together with her parents.

RTL - Video

Nice "behind the scene" videos from today's speech of King Philippe at the presence of his daughter, Princess Elisabeth.

Élisabeth will turn 18 (and, therefore, become legally eligible to ascend the throne) in 3 months or so. It is just natural that she should begin to get more involved in state affairs, even if she is still in school and still has many years to go before she graduates from university.

I wonder for example if the Duchess of Brabant will be awarded the Grand Cordon of the Order of Léopold on her 18th birthday. That would be appropriate in my opinion, but I don't know how old Philippe was when he received his order.

Was the entire video crew Dutch-speaking or is the crew speaking Dutch only because it is a VRT broadcast ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the entire video crew Dutch-speaking or is the crew speaking Dutch only because it is a VRT broadcast ?

The VRT is the 'Flemish Radio & Television Broadcasting company', so I would assume Dutch (Flemish) is their native tongue.

I am beginning to think of Princess Elisabeth as the rising star/secret weapon of the Belgian monarchy.

She is an exceptionally radiant and poised teenager.;)

Absolutely agree. Together with her siblings she is the new face of the monarchy, a monarchy that has embraced all the differences in Belgium, making it a new, bigger, commun cultural background. All the citizens can now feel represented by the royal family, especially the younger generations.

Mathilde looks really good. I wonder how is Princess Astrid, if she has solved her health problems. She always looks sad lately unfortunately.

Being toppled by the Dutch wasn't a realistic outcome as long as Leopold continued to be supported by Britain and France, which is what ultimately happened.

Having said that, Belgium's survival as a multinational buffer country under an imported constitutional monarchy was unlikely and it is indeed extraordinary that the Coburgs were able to survive two World Wars and keep their throne for nearly 200 years now.

Élisabeth will turn 18 (and, therefore, become legally eligible to ascend the throne) in 3 months or so. It is just natural that she should begin to get more involved in state affairs, even if she is still in school and still has many years to go before she graduates from university.

I wonder for example if the Duchess of Brabant will be awarded the Grand Cordon of the Order of Léopold on her 18th birthday. That would be appropriate in my opinion, but I don't know how old Philippe was when he received his order.

And Belgium as a buffer ended up becoming the seat of power in Europe, since the main EU institutions are based there. Funny how things work out :cool:

I love that Elisabeth is slowly but surely being introduced into the life of a monarch, by both her mother and her father, it's good that she learns the ropes as she grows up, so she could be an excellent monarch when her time comes.

I agree that it was a fantastic idea to bring Elisabeth along to this event. She's going be a great queen one day and is already representing Belgium well. I'm sure Philippe and Mathilde are very proud!

It is our National Day. This evening great Concert and dances in the Marolles , I will not be surprised to see Prince Laurent.
No new Nobilities this year because we have no Government.

Delightful to see the very pretty Lisa with her father

Because She received great love from both of her Parents , a former perfect dutch education , what Philippe, Albert II and Baudouin did not had;

It's a bit strange, both Philippe and Laurent were really stranged from their parents but both seem to be excellent fathers themselves (probably the one saving grace Laurent has ? ).

I guess they didn't want history to repeat itself, Astrid also got lucky with Lorenz, who seems to be a really good guy as well.

It's a bit strange, both Philippe and Laurent were really stranged from their parents but both seem to be excellent fathers themselves (probably the one saving grace Laurent has ? ).

I guess they didn't want history to repeat itself, Astrid also got lucky with Lorenz, who seems to be a really good guy as well.

That's the point in my opinion. They are very careful not to repeat what they have experienced with their parents.
As for Philippe, he experienced the love and devotion that Baudouin and Fabiola had for each other at least. They were the greatest example for him.

That's the point in my opinion. They are very careful not to repeat what they have experienced with their parents.
As for Philippe, he experienced the love and devotion that Baudouin and Fabiola had for each other at least. They were the greatest example for him.

I think in Philippe'e case also helpinig is his choice of wife and her upbringing and realtionship to her parents. Can't say to much of Claire here as there is not much known of her background as in Mathilde's case.

again or is this still the one that has been spotted on him before...?:ohmy:

It is on his feet but covered in black so noto so obvious. Wasn't the last one on a arm?

It is on his feet but covered in black so noto so obvious. Wasn't the last one on a arm?
Gabriel had his right leg in a cast last December. But at least no drache nationale today, makes it much easier for him - and for everyone else also.

Elisabeth looks like the star of the show when posing and walking next to her father.

However, poor feet and ankles on such high heels...

It is nice that they they share the kids when they went ot greet the people. But a pity that Elisabgeth does not go with the Queen. The people on the other side get to meet the King and the Crown Princess would it not be nicer if the King and Crown Pricness would go to different sides?

Elisabeth looks like the star of the show when posing and walking next to her father.

So true. Is she popular in Belgium? Perhaps she becomes the belgian Victoria.

However, poor feet and ankles on such high heels...

She's at the age where she's willing to make those sacrifices in the name of fashion :lol:

And yes, Elisabeth has really blossomed in the last couple of years or so, growing increasinly more confident in her skin and learning the ropes of her future role step by step, with the great guidance and love of her parents.

It is nice that they they share the kids when they went ot greet the people. But a pity that Elisabgeth does not go with the Queen. The people on the other side get to meet the King and the Crown Princess would it not be nicer if the King and Crown Pricness would go to different sides?

So true. Is she popular in Belgium? Perhaps she becomes the belgian Victoria.

As far as I can remember, they take turns, I vividly remember Elisabeth and Emmanuel walking with Philippe in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it makes sense that the future head of state greets the people anlong with the current monarch. But I think they are not dogmatic about this; next year it might be different again.

To me it makes sense that the future head of state greets the people anlong with the current monarch. But I think they are not dogmatic about this; next year it might be different again.

It make clearly sense. But on the other hand some people get to see the Head of State and the future head of State and the people on the other side "only" the consort of the Head of State. If they would go separate (what they apparently do sometimes) all people would either see the head of State or the future Head of State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom