Belgian National Day - 21 July, 1: 2009-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think French is quite tricky when it comes to writing and since she does most of her reading/writing in Dutch, she probably needed tutoring in the written aspect of French, because she's quite fluent on it in a speaking manner ;)

I concur with that. Having been studying French myself since I was 11 (more than half my live now) I still make mistakes in written texts, so I believe her problems are there.

Back to the celebrations: did Philippe and Mathilde attend the fireworks show this year?

The photos of Prince Laurent and Princess Claire from the Mass in Ghent had a look of awkwardness the Prince did not look at all happy and had his usual sullen face.

In that regard Astrid and Laurent are truely sister and brother...:whistling::ermm::sad:

I thought that the extra tutoring was needed because while speaking French at home her education is mainly in Flemish making it necessary to get extra lessons in French?

Her education up to now has been in Dutch, at home and with a lot of her friends she'll have spoken French. The extra tutoring was for French spelling.

Greatest public attendance since years.

We missed King Albert II and Queen Paola. They could have leave their boat for some days for celebrating the King's 5 years reign.

In his speech the King spoke about his beloved King Baudouin who is his Model and in his two paintings he shows all his love.

Would have been lovely to see Queen Paola yesterday as mother of the king.

Greatest public attendance since years.

We missed King Albert II and Queen Paola. They could have leave their boat for some days for celebrating the King's 5 years reign.

In his speech the King spoke about his beloved King Baudouin who is his Model and in his two paintings he shows all his love.

It is very revealing that King Philippe speaks of his late uncle Baudouin as his role model...and NOT his very much alive father and predecessor King Albert.:ermm:

The paintings that Philippe made of Baudouin are stunning. How I wish that Queen Fabiola could see them!

It is very revealing that King Philippe speaks of his late uncle Baudouin as his role model...and NOT his very much alive father and predecessor King Albert.:ermm:

It's a natural thing. Many years Philippe was groomed as Baudouin's heir. When his father became a king, Philippe was already 33 years old. It was to late to look for new role model.

The paintings that Philippe made of Baudouin are stunning. How I wish that Queen Fabiola could see them!

It's not *that* revealing. Philippe was much closer to Baudouin than his own father, which is a well-known thing here in the Benelux at least.

And don't worry about Queen Fabiola, I'm sure she has already seen them from where she is now.

The RTL article describes Elisabeth and Gabriel as the GRANDCHILDREN of Philippe and Mathilde.:bang::ermm:

The RTL article describes Elisabeth and Gabriel as the GRANDCHILDREN of Philippe and Mathilde.:bang::ermm:

No, it refers to them as their eldest children (grands enfants). Grandchildren is petits-enfants in French.

The English translation of the article very clearly said grand children, so somebody dropped the ball!:sad:

The English translation of the article very clearly said grand children, so somebody dropped the ball!:sad:

The translation is weird, but technically correct. Grandchildren (no space bar) differs from grand children (space bar).

Probably google translate as there is no official translation of the article. So, nobody dropped the ball. Google translate cannot be expected to have a completely accurate translation.

Where is the English translation?

The app on my Android automatically translates French into English, even though I can read the language fairly well....for example I know that the French translation for grandchild is not "grand enfant".:cool:

Anyway it is Marchesina's post #320.

The complete transmission from the belgian national television:

It's such a shame that no good pictures of the fireworks act have appeared :(

Indeed...I read that her Dutch is superior to her French, and that she required extra tutoring in French.:ohmy:

The problem with French, which is also true about English BTW, is that its spelling is not phonemic, meaning it is often not possible to guess the correct spelling of a word from its pronunciation. Assuming Élisabeth takes all her classes at school in Dutch, and only "learns" French as a second (or first additonal) language, it is not surprising that she should have difficulty to write in French at the level of an educated native speaker, even if she speaks French at home with her family.

French in that respect differs considerably from other Latin-derived languages like Spanish whose spelling is highly phonemic, with Portuguese or maybe Catalan being somewhere in between (i.e. mostly phonemic, but not quite as phonemic as Spanish). Curiously, the "conservative" nature of French spelling, in contrast to the spoken language, is in many respects associated with an attempt to preserve its historic continuity with Latin and its kinship to the other Romance languages, including its continuity with Romance grammar (e.g. noun and verb morphology), which has been actually eroded in spoken French.

Exhibition e.a. of the Kings Uniforms at the Royal Palace.
These of King Leopole II were used until their very end...
Leopold III Wedding uniform with the Serafin Order
King Baudouin white Uniform he wore in Congo. etc. etc ..

I must say I don't like our King's Uniforms because a Belt is missing.

There is a nice Story , King Albert Ii was General 3 Stars and at the National Feast 's Defilé , a General 4 Stars attend . Panique..
Since then the King is General 4 Stars , such as the General Head of his house and the General of the Army (3)

Last edited:

Oh I love the one of Elisabeth under the portrait of King Leopold I. Very poignant.
I hope tonight, even if she has not been announced, Elisabeth will attend the concert together with her parents.

RTL - Video

Nice "behind the scene" videos from today's speech of King Philippe at the presence of his daughter, Princess Elisabeth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom