Abdication of Albert II and Oath of Philippe, 21 July 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
In this thread you can post during the 21st of July. There will be an abdication, Te Deum, Oath in parlament and the military parade.

The government released the exact time sheadule for the 21st of july

9h Te Deum in the Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral in Brussels

10h30. Abdication ceremony of King Albert II at the Royal Palace of Brussels

12h Swearing in of King Philip at the Palace of the Nation. After the oat gun shots are fired.

13h The Royal Family salute the people from the balcony of the Royal Palace on the Place des Palais

14h10. Tribute of the new king to the Unknown Soldier, Congress Column

16h05 King Philip inspects the civil and military forces

17h Military and civilian parade, Paleizenplein

19h Philippe and mathilde participate in the Party in the Park, in the Royal Park

23H. The Royal Family attends the fireworks at the Palace of Academies on the Place des Palais

This thread will be closed until July 21st

deredactie.be
Livecenter koning Filip

I don't think they expected so much interest, the livestreams keep buffering.

The Kings and the CP couple have arrived. I have to say they both look great.
http://www.deredactie.be/polopoly_f...g_gen/derivatives/landscape390/2740074858.jpg
http://www.deredactie.be/polopoly_f...pg_gen/derivatives/landscape390/300543002.jpg
Princess Claire arriving: http://www.deredactie.be/polopoly_f...pg_gen/derivatives/landscape390/916240994.jpg

The congregation is applauding the Kings. The reports have mentioned that it is not normal (not becouse you do not clap in a church) but they point out that this is a special Te Deum. (Although the congreation also applauded the PM, so I wouldn't know..)
Queen Paola looks very touched.

The family during the Te Deum:
http://www.deredactie.be/polopoly_f...g_gen/derivatives/landscape390/1080296509.jpg

Also, the Princesses Elisabeth and Eleonor will be wearing read dresses from NATAN.

Last edited:
They all seem very nice dresses.
Queen Paola clearly emocionated

what a beautiful cathedral the brussels one is!

Queen Paola sat down during the Te Deum. Maybe her health is not as good as she looks. I suppose it is a good thing that they are retiring.

Edit: After sitting down for 5 minutes she stood up again. Myabe she needed the rest.

Last edited:
the royal family went out of the cathedral after te deum to greet the crowds. paola is tearing up, the crowds are offering them presents and are all wishing them to "rest".

I'm watching television and really regret I can't be in Brussels. The royals seem very relaxed and the crowd is cheering and singing. Very nice to see!

I thought the children of the crown prince couple would be making an appearance at the cathedral today. Do we know when we will see them?

Queen and Mathilde looked lovely today. Emotional ceremony but so far its a nice one.

On the left theres the minister of justice/law (she was responsible for the abdication document), on the right the prime minister. Albert has just thanked his wife, such a beautiful moment :D

I thought the children of the crown prince couple would be making an appearance at the cathedral today. Do we know when we will see them?

Queen and Mathilde looked lovely today. Emotional ceremony but so far its a nice one.

They will appear on the balcony :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathilde is crying after the speech of the king... bless her...

We will see them later on today.
They will appear on the balcony after the swearing in of King Philip

Queen Paola is very very moved, especially when the King thanked her for her constant support in the last 20 years.

The King then talked to Philippe, repeating that he thinks that Philippe and Mathilde have all the necessary qualities and preparation to be good King and Queen.

Prime Minister Di Rupo is now delivering his speech.

Lovely speech of the King.
They were all very emotional.

Now (I think) 17 persons will sign the document. King Albert just did that, so he is not king anymore.

The King is signing his abdication, after the Minister of Justice read the act of abdication.
Now the witnesses are signing the Act as well.

According to this article (with pictures), Natan has dressed almost everyone for todays occasion. No surprise actually.

The news reporter just said the children were supposed to be at the abdication ...

I think so :)
10 more minutes to go. Then will the prime minister read the abdication document again to inform parlement of the abdication. Then the royal family will join and Filip will take the oath ^^

Back
Top Bottom