Abdication of Albert II and Oath of Philippe, 21 July 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It must be a very emotional day for them all.

I think so :)
10 more minutes to go. Then will the prime minister read the abdication document again to inform parlement of the abdication. Then the royal family will join and Filip will take the oath ^^

It was not the prime minister, but the president of the chamber, Andre Flahaut. He read the speech in French, now it's in Flemish, but I don't know the woman :)

How King Albert & Queen Paola will be called after the abdication?

King Albert & Queen Paola,they will retain their royal titles,Belgium will have 3 queens and 2 Kings,but Philippe will be the Monarch and Mathilde the Queen Consort.

Why weren't Philippe's children in the abdication ceremony? They should have been there.
Is Elisabeth going to be officially recognised by the officials as Philippe's heir?

Before the abdication they were called
Their Majesties the King and Queen of Belgians
After the abdication:
Their Majesties King Albert and Queen Paola of Belgium.

It must be a very emotional day for them all.

True. In the abdication ceremony most of them especially queen Paola were deep in emotions

Last edited by a moderator:
They're on their way! It's happening :D
Princess Xenia, what do you mean about the recognition of Elisabeth as heir? Isn't she automatically recognized as such?

True. In the abdication ceremony most of them especially queen Paola were deep in emotions

Yes I noticed Queen Paola looked the most emotional,it can't have been an easy few days for the Royal Family.

Last edited:
The children are beautiful! The girls are in red :D

They're on their way! It's happening :D
Princess Xenia, what do you mean about the recognition of Elisabeth as heir? Isn't she automatically recognized as such?

Right, she is his heir, but what I want to see is that she be Announced by official as his heir and the new Duchess of Brabant . Maybe in the parliament.That would be great!!!

The King and the Queen are now on their way to the Parliement.
De Redactie just announced that some dictators around the world including Causescu, Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein and Tito used the same model of the car that is taking the Kings to the Parliement....
No comment.

Last edited:
Right, she is his heir, but what I want to see is that she be Announced by official as his heir and the new Duchess of Brabant . Maybe in the parliament.That would be great!!!

Oh I see, that would be great!

Mathilde is wearing the same dress. I thought Filip was supposed to wear a beige uniform, but it looks like a green one.

Oh I see, that would be great!

Mathilde is wearing the same dress. I thought Filip was supposed to wear a beige uniform, but it looks like a green one.

The uniform is the 4star general uniform, after the abdication of his father K.Filip is now the boss of the nation's army..

It's the same care used at their marriage
I know that, but apparently De Redactie thought people should have that little bit of travia information.:whistling:

Btw, they arrived the Parliament.

Last edited:
I know that, but apparently De Redactie thought people should have that little bit of travia information.:whistling:

Btw, they arrived the Parliement.

They said it maybe because the car has special protection in case someone would try to attack or shoot the king....

There is some apprehension if anyone will try any anti-royal actions..

We have a new King

"Ik zweer dat ik de Grondwet en de wetten van het Belgische volk zal naleven, 's Lands onafhankelijkheid handhaven en het grondgebied ongeschonden bewaren."

"Je jure d'observer la Constitution et les lois du peuple belge, de maintenir l'indépendance nationale et l'intégrité du territoire".

"Ich schwöre, die Verfassung und die Gesetze des belgischen Volkes zu beachten, die Unabhängigkeit des Landes zu erhalten und die Unversehrtheit des Staatsgebietes zu wahren."

We have a new King

Can i just say that i think he speaks all three country's languages quite well...

How sweet was that when he addressed his wife 'Chere Mathilde' in that speech :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, his German can always improve, but then his father's wasn't better either and they don't speak it everyday so it's understandable.:flowers:

Queen Mathide was bursting with pride as her husband took the oath # heartwarming.

Back
Top Bottom