7th son or 7th daughter God Children Belgian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimandDonna

City
Werrington County
Country
Australia
In researching it appears my husbands grandfather was a 7th son & such was a Royal God child.Are there records kept on who these children are.:)

Your husbands grandfather must of been Catholic if he was a Godchild of a Belgian Royal..in that case there would be parish records listing the godparents of the person in question.

LaRae

my understanding is if they are the 7th child the parents can apply to have the King or Queen as godparents.There are requirements which I'm sure were met as far as I know they're Roman Catholic but I'm not positive of that.We know very little about his history was hoping this would be a lead

You would need to do some some digging in geneology files. The Catholic Church has parishes registered from centuries ago. You just need to find out where he lived when born and figure out what parish/Church was in the area ...copy of parents marriage license could help if they lived in Belgium when married...could give a location to start with.

Also there's this:

The King and the Queen are traditionally godfather or godmother of the seventh son or seventh daughter in a family, provided that this succession of boys or girls born is uninterrupted. The royal couple may be godparents of the seventh consecutive son or daughter to a common family who have lived in Belgium for a sufficiently long period of time. It revolves around royal favour. There is therefore no automatic bestowal, as we can read on the website monarchie.be (http://monarchie.be).

Thanks for your help yes it appears he is the 7th in succession we are looking for more information on his parents.Thanks again for your help

Ancestry . com can be very helpful, however you do have to pay a separate fee to be able to access their European records.

Welcome!

LaRae

Your husbands grandfather must of been Catholic if he was a Godchild of a Belgian Royal..in that case there would be parish records listing the godparents of the person in question.

LaRae

Actually it seems you don't have to be Catholic. Or even live in Belgium. As long as you are a seventh consecutive son or daughter, and from a Belgian family.

This little goddaughter of Paola was born in New York to an orthodox family

Royal Treatment – The Forward

But yes, you have to apply. Bring your attention. It seems one or two a year now a days. Not surprising considering how families have shrunk.

Actually it seems you don't have to be Catholic. Or even live in Belgium. As long as you are a seventh consecutive son or daughter, and from a Belgian family.

This little goddaughter of Paola was born in New York to an orthodox family

Royal Treatment – The Forward

But yes, you have to apply. Bring your attention. It seems one or two a year now a days. Not surprising considering how families have shrunk.

Well they weren't actually Godparents to the little girl according to the article, not all faiths have these.

Interesting tradition though.

Yeah the birth rates in Europe are very low, with the exception of immigrant groups...I heard Belgium was very very low.

LaRae

Well they weren't actually Godparents to the little girl according to the article, not all faiths have these.

Yeah the birth rates in Europe are very low, with the exception of immigrant groups...I heard Belgium was very very low.

LaRae

Yes, but she is an honorary godchild. She gets the same privileges. The trips to the castle, the free education, the gift from the queen. Paola simply has a different title. The point being, you don't have to be Catholic to qualify to apply. In a country that has plenty of Protestants it would likely not be popular if a Protestant child who meets the qualifications was denied. They are monarchs of not only the Catholics.

It's odd that they don't live in Belgium, my understanding is they must live in Belgium but maybe they are less strict with this now.It's all very interesting..It is believed my husbands family has other links to the then Royal family I'm yet to find those though.

It's odd that they don't live in Belgium, my understanding is they must live in Belgium but maybe they are less strict with this now.It's all very interesting..It is believed my husbands family has other links to the then Royal family I'm yet to find those though.

They have to be a Belgian family. The little girls parents are. They simply live and run a jewel business in the US. Since both parents are Belgian, the little girl likely can claim duel citizenship.

Yes, but she is an honorary godchild. She gets the same privileges. The trips to the castle, the free education, the gift from the queen. Paola simply has a different title. The point being, you don't have to be Catholic to qualify to apply. In a country that has plenty of Protestants it would likely not be popular if a Protestant child who meets the qualifications was denied. They are monarchs of not only the Catholics.

Oh right honorary, yes.

LaRae

The stipulations are that the child be the seventh in an unbroken line of seven children of the same gender and coming from the same marriage. The seven children must all be living and the parents must be of good moral character. Regarding those parents of foreign origin, it is desired that they live the entire time in Belgium and that the majority of their children are born in Belgium. All these conditions apply equally for the Queen to be godmother of the seventh daughter. This is on Roots Web

The stipulations are that the child be the seventh in an unbroken line of seven children of the same gender and coming from the same marriage. The seven children must all be living and the parents must be of good moral character. Regarding those parents of foreign origin, it is desired that they live the entire time in Belgium and that the majority of their children are born in Belgium. All these conditions apply equally for the Queen to be godmother of the seventh daughter. This is on Roots Web

According to the official website of the Belgian family (most official source)

The child must as well as seventh consecutive

Born to a Belgian family

Or

Born to a family who has lived in Belgium a sufficient time.

There is no requirement, if the family is legally Belgian, for them to reside in Belgium.

So back to my original question do they keep a record of these children?

So back to my original question do they keep a record of these children?

I doubt there is an official list available for the public...there were a few times this occured in recent years (king or queen becoming godparents for a boy or girl respectively) which led to short articles in media but there was never a reference to a "list of the other godchildren"
probably the RF *has* a list for keeping in touch, but not officially published..

I suppose the best way would be to contact the palace in Brussels. They should have an archive where such matters are recorded.

Lee-Z is correct, only in April Queen Mathilde became godmother of Zaineb, the seventh daughter in a row for a couple from Gent. She has another goddaughter who is the 7th daughter as well. The king has two godsons who are the seventh in a row. The last one was Haroun Moudani from Anderlecht.

Article in Dutch;
Koningin Mathilde is meter van Zaineb: hoe gaat dat in zijn werk?

Queen Fabiola invited her Godchildren to Kinepolis where they had with their godmother lunch and cinema.

LaRae
Not all immigrants and not only immigrants. For example the Orthodox Jews, of which there are many in Belgium, has a high birthrate.

That's good to know.

LaRae

What a wonderful tradition.

Not all immigrants and not only immigrants. For example the Orthodox Jews, of which there are many in Belgium, has a high birthrate.

Judaism doesn't have godparents, though, so it's not applicable to this discussion.

I'm... really not sure how devout Queen Mathilde or the family managed to square that one, but there are still no godparents in Judaism. Perhaps it's some sort of purely honorary recognition, but I'm not surprised that family is anonymous. Calling it a godparent is a few religious laws getting broken by all sides.

Last edited:
Judaism doesn't have godparents, though, so it's not applicable to this discussion.
If you read my three-year old post again you'll see that it was written as a comment about Belgium's birth rate not about Judaism.

If you read my three-year old post again you'll see that it was written as a comment about Belgium's birth rate not about Judaism.

I read the age of the post and still thought it was applicable to point out Jewish kids would not be eligible for this, before Queen Mathilde apparently proved me wrong.

I'm... really not sure how devout Queen Mathilde or the family managed to square that one, but there are still no godparents in Judaism. Perhaps it's some sort of purely honorary recognition, but I'm not surprised that family is anonymous. Calling it a godparent is a few religious laws getting broken by all sides.

I do think it is by both parties considered a 'honorary recognition'. Even Mathilde's own youngest daughter has a non-Catholic (crown princess Victoria) as 'godparent' - although 'sponsor' would be a more correct term as they needed an (additional) Roman Catholic godmother to fulfill the religious position.

Trying to figure this one out for myself:

"The godparent’s function is intrinsically Christian, and as a result, for many Jews, the idea of designating godparents seems very un-Jewish[...]Officially in Judaism we do not have godparents–it is not a Jewish tradition. Jewish families may appoint them if they wish, but there are no attending religious obligations or responsibilities. It is simply an honorary title. Families can appoint as many as they want or none at all.”

So, yes, it's a name without any intrinsic religious stuff implied in this case. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the BRF have links with Belgian children of other faiths — very, very far from it — but saying "godparent/godchild" is... odd.

Given that it is reported that the children do receive a present from the queen (through some government official) but will only meet her as a teenager, the queen clearly doesn't show up at any kind of religious event.

One of my non-religious co-workers named the 'godparents' on the birth announcement (which I didn't expect as it is quite unusual imho), which indicates that the term is indeed used more broadly than in the original sense of someone supporting the child in it's religious upbringing which seems to be primarily practiced in the Roman Catholic and Anglican tradition (not sure about the Lutheran - it isn't normally part of the Calvinistic tradition - nonetheless, the Dutch king's daughters all have godparents).

Back
Top Bottom