Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Yes he is.
Thanks!

Quote:
Prince Joachim lives currently in South Africa.
That's true, but Princess Astrid's other adult children are present despite likewise living abroad. I suppose South Africa is further from Belgium than Switzerland or England.

Quote:
When did Luisa move to Russia? I was under the impression that she worked in Canada.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Here are two galleries of today's mass:

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I can't understand why Albert II didn't attend his own brothers memorial Mass ,seems her prefers to be on holidays.

The absence of Princess Claire and her children too was disappointing.

9th of June,1572 : Death of Jeanne d’Albret,Queen of
Navarre,Duchess d'Albret ,Countess of Foix, Perigord, Rodez, Armagnac , Fezensac, Bigorre ,Dreux, Gause, Perche,L'Isle-Jourdain,Porhoet , Pardiac & Guines .
Viscountess of Limoges ,Béarn & Tartas.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I can't understand why Albert II didn't attend his own brothers memorial Mass ,seems her prefers to be on holidays.

The absence of Princess Claire and her children too was disappointing.
Because he is in a bitter conflict with the Government and half/half dissatisfied with his son's inertion to do anything about it. See earlier in this thread. At the moment I am in Puglia. I have seen pictures of the couple in Italian media here, just at the tabacceria / billetteria around the corner. The King is sailing alongside Gallipoli and Santa Maria di Leuca, the most southern point of the heel of Italia's boot, so to say. It is studded with cathedrals, basilicas, churches, chapels and monasteries. Plenty of possibilities for Don Alberto and Donna Paola to light a candle at a Madonna and to remember their brother in all discretion.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Because he is in a bitter conflict with the Government and half/half dissatisfied with his son's inertion to do anything about it. See earlier in this thread. At the moment I am in Puglia. I have seen pictures of the couple in Italian media here, just at the tabacceria / billetteria around the corner. The King is sailing alongside Gallipoli and Santa Maria di Leuca, the most southern point of the heel of Italia's boot, so to say. It is studded with cathedrals, basilicas, churches, chapels and monasteries. Plenty of possibilities for Don Alberto and Donna Paola to remember their brother in all discretion.
Imo not a good enough reason to publicly display your disregard for both your brother and your son. Many of his brother's nieces and nephews made the effort to show up and his only living sibling makes it about himself by not attending. He can remember his brother all other days of the year in private if he wishes, this was the only day he was supposed to do it in public - something considered important by everybody else (even prince Laurent had the decency to show up - while his relationship with his uncle wasn't that good apparently).
Old 09-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Majesty

But what when King Albert outright hated his brother or something, for his overzealous religiosity, turning Laeken into Vaticano 2.0 or turning the royal family into a Holy Family 2.0?

Just a wild guess. We will never know. It is also possible that Albert & Paola have developed bitter feelings towards Belgium and their children.

We will never know. I am sure that the old King and Queen knows 100% what impression this will make. And still they chose to do so. Maybe a feeling à la Madame de Pompadour: après nous: le déluge....
Old 09-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Majesty

Was Princess Marie-Esmeralda present?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This is just my impression but if Albert and Paola chose not to participate in a remembrance service, perhaps they were being true to themselves rather than appear and give lip service to something they felt required to do for public image.

I know I would feel hypocritical attending a remembrance service for someone in my life that I didn't particularly care to associate with or wasn't that close to.

Those that cared for and loved King Baudouin were there. That's what really mattered.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This is just my impression but if Albert and Paola chose not to participate in a remembrance service, perhaps they were being true to themselves rather than appear and give lip service to something they felt required to do for public image.
That could indeed very well be the case. However, I'm afraid that being a royal includes quite a lot of pretending at times. And even if your relationship with your brother wasn't as good as you would have liked it to be, attending a memorial service is not that big of a sacrifice to make. Would he for example want his children not to attend his memorial service because they didn't do such a good job as parents?

This, however, is another clear sign that they don't really care about the continuity of monarchy; as they are totally fine putting their own desires ahead of showing their support for both their predecessor and (by default) their successor. Nonetheless, they do want all the perks that come with being part of that royal family.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly, they want the perks not the responsibilities. Whilst it would still be sad if they didn't want to turn up to remember a member of their family, the fact is the former King still receives considerable income and benefits from the state. Not turning up at so many events just keep destabilising the monarchy and creating chatter and talk about the family rather than the crown. They should attend, firstly because they want to but of not that then they should turn up because they are being paid.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

And two more Galleries from today

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?...9-2018%20Laken

https://www.profimedia.cz/similar/385849173
Old 09-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Whose the one on archduke Carl Christian's arm? His mother archduchess Yolande, born princess de Ligne?
Old 09-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Royal Highness

Astrid saying that her uncle was like a parent to her is as high a praise as you can give someone. Phillipe too seemed so close to his uncle and I always felt that Mathilde had a bond with Fabiola that was absent between her and Paolo. I suppose that when one's parents are at war a loving aunt and uncle can be a Godsend for children and for that reason alone I feel that Albert and Paola should have gone to this memorial as it seems that Baudouin and Fabiola were often there for their children when they were too busy sniping at one another to give them the necessary attention they deserved.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Imo not a good enough reason to publicly display your disregard for both your brother and your son. Many of his brother's nieces and nephews made the effort to show up and his only living sibling makes it about himself by not attending. He can remember his brother all other days of the year in private if he wishes, this was the only day he was supposed to do it in public - something considered important by everybody else (even prince Laurent had the decency to show up - while his relationship with his uncle wasn't that good apparently).

To be honest I think it´ s kind of odd anyway to remember a person in such a public display after he/ she has gone since a quarter of a century...
That´s a purely royal thing - at least this is something one just does not do in my country. And I cannot understand why some people ask why person a or b was not present although a or b was not even born when Baudouin died....!
Yes, the King was great, unique and special. But a more private remembrance of him after such a long time with people only present who really wanted to be there would have been fully accteptable!

Concerning Albert and Paola: If A. was still the reigning sovereign he would certainly have attended this occasion. But since 5 years he and his wife are more or less private persons who have the right to remember a beloved deceased relative privately - even during a holiday!
Old 09-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
To be honest I think it´ s kind of odd anyway to remember a person in such a public display after he/ she has gone since a quarter of a century...
That´s a purely royal thing - at least this is something one just does not do in my country. And I cannot understand why some people ask why person a or b was not present although a or b was not even born when Baudouin died....!
Yes, the King was great, unique and special. But a more private remembrance of him after such a long time with people only present who really wanted to be there would have been fully accteptable!
I'd say it is both a royal and a catholic thing to have these kind of memorial masses, so in this case it's the combination of the two.

I don't think anyone criticizes the younger generation for not showing up to the memorial mass of their great uncle; although it is appreciated that many of them did attend. It's mainly his brother and sister-in-law who are criticized for prioritizing their year-round holiday over showing respect to their deceased brother who died so unexpectedly at a relatively young age (which also changed the course of their own lives completely). Especially, since they, as well as princess Claire, are adult members of the Belgian royal family whose former head/king they are honoring.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I know I would feel hypocritical attending a remembrance service for someone in my life that I didn't particularly care to associate with or wasn't that close to.

Those that cared for and loved King Baudouin were there. That's what really mattered.
This Requiem is to honor the memory of Baudouin, the elder brother that ALWAYS supported Albert even during the years of Albert's disgraceful estrangement from his wife and children when Albert was preferring life with his mistress. Baudouin reportedly even strong armed Paola into remaining in the marriage and took on the role of parenting (along with Fabiola ) the couples' unhappy children.

Albert always publically revered the memory of his brother and in speeches on National Day called him an inspiration, both in life and death.

All that changed when Philippe became king and the Government apparently reneged on the amount of money that Albert would be permitted to enjoy in retirement.

He chooses to exact revenge by blowing off a family and national event meant to honor the memory of King Baudouin and his untimely death at only age 62 years of age...an action by the way that Baudouin would NEVER have taken if the situation had been reversed.

I agree with posters who deem Albert's behavior petty and selfish.

It also points out the stark and unflattering contrast between himself and his late older brother.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Concerning Albert and Paola: If A. was still the reigning sovereign he would certainly have attended this occasion. But since 5 years he and his wife are more or less private persons who have the right to remember a beloved deceased relative privately - even during a holiday!
They are not private persons. The government would not give that much money on a yearly basis to some random private people. Moreover, they are still styled as majesties.

They could indeed privately remember Baudouin on July 31st, today they should have attended the memorial mass. If not out of love for their brother(-in-law) than at least out of respect for his long reign as king.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'd say it is both a royal and a catholic thing to have these kind of memorial masses, so in this case it's the combination of the two.

I don't think anyone criticizes the younger generation for not showing up to the memorial mass of their great uncle; although it is appreciated that many of them did attend. It's mainly his brother and sister-in-law who are criticized for prioritizing their year-round holiday over showing respect to their deceased brother who died so unexpectedly at a relatively young age (which also changed the course of their own lives completely). Especially, since they, as well as princess Claire, are adult members of the Belgian royal family whose former head/king they are honoring.
Well, I´m sure if neither Gabriel, Emmanuel nor Eleonore would have attended, some people would be upset, too, as we seem to live in times and a society everybody seems to feel entitled to do so - favourably about things who are none of our business...

But, anyway, I appreciate Albert and Paola prioritizing their holidays since this is something obviously important for them they do for themselves, instead of satisfying the expectations of public opinion!
Who are we to judge what they should do?!

For me there was never a hint that Albert didn´t care about his elder brother. And his absence today is no proof for that.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The absence of Albert/Paola from most family events speaks volumes when was the last time we saw Elisabeth/Gabriel /Emmanuel/Eleonore with their grandparents?

They should put aside his allowance feud and show a united Royal Family front in public for the good of the Crown.

No wonder the King and his sister have spoken so highly of their late uncle King Baudouin.

9th of June,1572 : Death of Jeanne d’Albret,Queen of
Navarre,Duchess d'Albret ,Countess of Foix, Perigord, Rodez, Armagnac , Fezensac, Bigorre ,Dreux, Gause, Perche,L'Isle-Jourdain,Porhoet , Pardiac & Guines .
Viscountess of Limoges ,Béarn & Tartas.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
They are not private persons. The government would not give that much money on a yearly basis to some random private people. They are still styled as majesties!

They could indeed privately remember Baudouin on July 31st, today they should have attended the memorial mass. If not out of love for their brother(-in-law) than at least out of respect for his long reign as king.

I did say "more or less private". Fact is, they are both very old and are not the royal couple in charge anymore.
I think it would be ridiculous to expect someone to attend a religious service even if he/ she does not want to attend, no matter for what reason, because he/ she receives a salary/ apanage, tax payers money or whatever you call it! Wouldn´t that be a highly hypocritical thing to do?!