The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the pictures.

I am confused about the Wellesley family titles though. Isn't Arthur Gerald Wellesley, the heir apparent to the current Duke of Wellington, addressed by the courtesy title of Marquess of Douro, whereas his son (and second in line to the dukedom), Arthur Darcy Wellesley, holds the courtesy title of Earl of Mornington ?

Old 06-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

You are right. I assume the titles got mixed up by the press as the previous duke died recently and Earl Mornington became Marquess of Douro etc. I didn't see the official statement of the palace so i do not know if the press copied it from the palace or not.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Group Picture :
First row
Prince Jean Christophe Napoleon (the head of the House)(his Father was at Hougumont), Prince Blücher (who was at Laeken and at Hougoumont with the Prince of Wales!), Arthur and Jemma Wellesley I presume the Duke of Wellington's Children .
Second row
Lord Wellesley, Pieter Christian van Vollenhoven, The Hed Grand Dukes of Luxembourg, Countess and Count Nicolas Blücher (the Prince Children ?).

Duke et Pair will certainly explain correctly the titles of the Descendants of the Duke of Welllington.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Paul Theroff has them all updated in the family genealogy:

Wellington
Old 06-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Prince of Wales at Waterloo

BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33160368

Battle of Waterloo quiz

http://www.historyextra.com/quiz/tes...campaign=Bitly
Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
[...] I assume prince Constantijn was too busy, though he lives in Brussels. [...]
I thought Prince Constantijn now lives in The Hague? And I believe at the moment he is travelling through the USA as Eisenhower Fellow (see his profile on the website of the Eisenhower Fellows) The year 2015 is his "program year" and the "destination country" for his fellowship is the USA.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Administrator

I had to check, but apparently the scholarship in the US was in April and May:
Prins Constantijn hooguit een 'digitale hulpkoning' | NOS

Apparently they are moving to The Hague 'this summer':
Prins Constantijn verhuist naar Den Haag|Binnenland| Telegraaf.nl

So he could be in Brussels but perhaps is otherwise engaged. I suppose PC is one of the few with a military rank (Lieutenant colonel) so in a way appropriate here perhaps.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I had to check, but apparently the scholarship in the US was in April and May:
Prins Constantijn hooguit een 'digitale hulpkoning' | NOS

Apparently they are moving to The Hague 'this summer':
Prins Constantijn verhuist naar Den Haag|Binnenland| Telegraaf.nl

So he could be in Brussels but perhaps is otherwise engaged. I suppose PC is one of the few with a military rank (Lieutenant colonel) so in a way appropriate here perhaps.
We can only respect Prince Constantijn for pursuing an own serious career, like his late brother Prince Friso. So now and then joining the King for public representation, I think that fits in the monarchy anno 2015.

Prince Pieter-Christiaan has climbed up in his long career, I see. From Major to Lieutenant-Colonel (Overste), with one golden bar and two golden stars - see an example is close to the highest ranks (Brigadier, etc.) So he is -after the King who has laid down his active military functions- the highest military in the royal family. His brother is a few ranks lower: a Lieutenant-at-Sea. If it is about military ranks, yes... then Prince Pieter-Christiaan was more logic than Prince Constantijn, who really has nothing with the military and maybe had no any desire to be in Waterloo.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Prince Napoleon bears a resemblance to his ancestor. His height is surprising though.
You see only height? Is so handsome
Old 06-18-2015, 04:26 AM
Courtier

200 Years after the Battle of Waterloo - 18 June 2015

Quote:
The Marques and Marchioness of Douro seem to come straight from a model agency.

Actually Jemma Wellesley used to be a fashion model and is the sister of Jodie Kidd, one of the top models of her day.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 AM
Nobility

The pictures are beautiful.
Aren't there any kind of directors or someone who guides the guests to stand for the pictures??!!
I mean HGD Stéphanie can't be seen behind Queen Mathilde, she could have changed her place with the Tall Prince Napoleon!!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:31 AM
Administrator

I assume they wanted descendants of the main Waterloo commanders in the front, which would be Blucher, Wellington and Napoleon.

Although it is nice that the HGD and HGss were included in the photo, they do not descend from any commander of Waterloo. I wonder why they were included in the photo in the first place.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Nobility

200 Years after the Battle of Waterloo - 18 June 2015

Quote:
I assume they wanted descendants of the main Waterloo commanders in the front, which would be Blucher, Wellington and Napoleon.

Although it is nice that the HGD and HGss were included in the photo, they do not descend from any commander of Waterloo. I wonder why they were included in the photo in the first place.

Yes, you're right. It should be better arranged next time.

I guess they were invited for the 3000 troops from Nassau.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Courtier

I took a few captures from the livestream for today's act
Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 AM
Serene Highness

Guillaume's ancestor was Colonel The Hereditary Prince Wilhelm of Nassau-Weilburg (later Duke of Nassau), who served with Wellington during the Waterloo campaigh. Prince Wilhelm was father of Adolphe, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (the first monarch of Luxembourg).
Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Something I never knew 8,500 Irish fought at the battle of Waterloo!

Just how many Irish fought at the Battle of Waterloo?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Pics of today's ceremony, June 18:

** belga gallery ** facetoface gallery 1 ** facetoface 2 ** anp gallery **

** lavenir.net gallery: Waterloo : le roi, la reine et le gotha européen se souviennent **
Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

RTBF broadcast the ceremony today morning.... excellent weather and beaufiful ceremony.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Yesterday , no Federal Minister welcommed HRH the Prince of Wales. A shame !
Old 06-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Is it only my impression or was the Duke of Kent the only guest who bowed to the King and Queen of the Belgians ?

Tags
camilla, charles, duchess of cornwall, duke of kent, grand duchess maria teresa, grand duke henri, hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, hereditary grand duke guillaume, king philippe, king willem-alexander, napoleon, prince of wales, prince pieter-christiaan, queen mathilde, queen maxima