Royal 2005: what did you learn?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena

Heir Apparent
City
Mandø
Country
Denmark
We have still 2.5 months left, but most of the year is over. So I wonder, what was surprising or "new" for you about the Royals in 2005?

Ok, here are mine:

-Camilla is damn good as duchess/princess...whatever.

-Prince William doesn´t seem to get caught in the prognosed "I date a woman like my mum"-trap
(In spite of "dirty Harry", I would say, that the british Royal family is back on the track)

-CP Phillippe and CP Mathilde are perfect parents...and only produce cute children. One simply can´t find a hair in the soup. These days one even can´t say Phillippe is dull. For me he came across quite funny in the past things, I´ve watched of him.

-CP Mary is a fashion doll and CP Frederik is quite lazy

-Princess Catharina-Amalia is growing to a beautiful child. Before I thought, she´s cute (all babies are), but not beautiful.

-CP Willem-Alexander does speak perfect german (I know dutch ppl have it easy here...and he had a german father...but still...he doesn´t seem to have an accent)

-CP Haakon and CP Mette Marit hang around with Marie Chantal and Pavlos. (To realise, what Royals like about Marie Chantal will probably be the "thing to realise" in 2006...or 2007...2008...)

-The Spanish court really doesn´t seem to have intentions to give CP Letizia
solo-duties (or have I missed something :confused: )

-CP Victoria has also a bitchy side

-Princess Madeleine is much nicer, than I´ve thought

-CP Victoria and Daniel Westling write the unofficial unwritten book "Royals&dating" new and all my theories and prognoses are something for the dustbin

-To have illegitimate children is some kind of "en vogue" these days in Royal circles...at least it´s not a taboo anymore to admit that.

-Monarchies are something fascinating, but these days they are so contradictory, that only/still the Republic is the fairest of all possible (unfair) possibilities (Oh republic of Austria...forgive my ignorance in the past years ;) )

What makes you say that about CP Victoria? Did I miss some contraversial event?

Ja, I'm also interested in that "Victoria-thing".

CP Frederic is lazy, I don't know. Does he less work than other royals?
I'm not so sure about Mary. Sometimes she seems so unsophisticated. Perhaps she hasn't found her place and business yet. I think it is not so easy beeing royal, very beautiful (as princess you should be), down-to-earth ... simultaneously.

Things I have realized about Royals in 2005:

Hell has frozen over in England with the marriage of Charles and Camilla. I wish hell hadn't frozen over.

A service of blessing after a civil marriage will absolve you from a divorce due to adultery.

I don't know... after you've been in this game a while, nothing much can surprise you. Sure, you might end up a bit cynical, but I can't recall having many royal surprises in the previous year.

One may be Märtha Louise choosing to give birth at home - but I wouldn't call it a real surprise. The surprise about it all may be the fact that Ari took pictures of the baby that looked halfway decent... ;)

Aussie Princess said:
What makes you say that about CP Victoria? Did I miss some contraversial event?

I´m refering to several meetings with the press this year. In February an interview was broadcasted in which she persisted in an very unpleasant way on being adressed as "kronprinsessan"
In summer, she was guest at the wedding of Princess Anna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein and prince Manuel of Bayern. And obviously she wasn´t in the mood for getting photographed, which she also expressed sulking with "now you have gotten enough"
And the latest thing, you can read here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=293024&postcount=79

Re:

Hell has frozen over in England with the marriage of Charles and Camilla. I wish hell hadn't frozen over

Hmmm. I hadn't noticed. It was actually quite warm here over the weekend. I think that's a slight exaggeration.

I´m refering to several meetings with the press this year. In February an interview was broadcasted in which she persisted in an very unpleasant way on being adressed as "kronprinsessan"

I must stick up for Victoria there. I find it awful the way the press shout out 'Victoria!' to get her to look at the cameras. Here in the UK, they generally shout, 'Sir' or 'Ma'am' - which is polite. She is Crown Princess and should be addressed appropriately.

"now you have gotten enough" - I don't think they need 50 shots of every engagement or appearance she makes. It's unnessecary and silly.

Things I realized in 2005:

1. I don't really like Prince William-he seems snobbish
2. Prince Philip will always rock
3. Camilla does have the ability to look elegant
4. Time does heal wounds-people will forget anything if you give a few years
5. Prince Carl Philip is drop dead gorgeous
6. Princess Mary is awsome
7. Prince Harry will always bring some excitment (good and bad) into my life

One of the great disappointments of 2005:

It doesn't pay to be a great princess and serve your country exceptionally well if you end up getting a divorce. However well Princess Alexandra and the RF of Denmark handled her divorce, she is still marginalized. And I thought she understood the role better than any princess in Europe, with the possible exception of Mathilde.

royaltywatcher said:
One of the great disappointments of 2005:

It doesn't pay to be a great princess and serve your country exceptionally well if you end up getting a divorce. However well Princess Alexandra and the RF of Denmark handled her divorce, she is still marginalized. And I thought she understood the role better than any princess in Europe, with the possible exception of Mathilde.

I was just thinking the same thing when I was reading thread onPrincess Alexandra. I agree that she truly understands and represents what is is to a be a royal. It is sad that she will be stuck between being a royal and an ordinary person. If she had married a man who wasn't a prince and they got divorced, she would be able to go back to Hong Kong with her kids if that is what she wanted. Instead, she must stay in denmark because her kids are princes.

HRH the Crown Princess Mary makes a brilliant Crown Princess.

HRH the Princess of the Asturias is a warmer person than what I originally thought.

HM the Queen Sonja really needs another parure, but seems to be getting more regal as she gets older.

HRH the Duchess of Cornwall really needs a different hairstyle, but has a rather good grasp of fashion, mostly. (or at least her stylers do.lol.)

Cant stand Prince Henry of Wales.

The Princely family of Monaco have much growing up to do.

Australia seemed to be a bit of a "hot spot" for royals this year. Thats us done for another 15 years or so.lol. (j/k)

HM the Queen Sophia would have to be the most down to earth and sincere royal there is. An amazingly beautiful woman both inside & out.

HRH the Prince of Wales means well.

HIM the Empress Michiko is so adorable.

Last edited:
Lena said:
We have still 2.5 months left, but most of the year is over. So I wonder, what was surprising or "new" for you about the Royals in 2005?
-To have illegitimate children is some kind of "en vogue" these days in Royal circles...at least it´s not a taboo anymore to admit that.
the matter which is attached most in my mind about the present royal life, after Monaco and then Luxembourg.

Why the comments about Frederik & Mary

Margrethe II said:
HRH the Duchess of Cornwall really needs a different hairstyle.

Prince Charles, it is said, is the reason that her hairstyle never changes. He loves her look and she, naturally, wants to please him.

Royal Fan said:
i mean Frederik and Victoria not Mary

For the case you mean me:

Firstly
No one has to agree (I´m not one of these missionary posters, who want, that one likes/dislikes the Royals I like or dislike. Or that they agree in all with me)

Secondly
What I´ve written reflects, what I´ve read/heard in 2005 (e.g. Frederik´s schedule...or interviews with Victoria). It can easily be, that I change my mind in 2006. And I could also accept, that e.g. Frederik had busier times earlier.

Thirdly
I wonder, why ppl are surprised, when I write, that Victoria has a bitchy side (?)
IMO it would be rather abnormal not to have one. And that it comes out under pressure isn´t surprising.
Most very active members here got involved into cat fights, does this mean, they are all bad people?

Last edited:
I realized:

Camilla can be perfectly regal and dress well
I still don't like Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde
I've still mixed feelings with Crown Princess Mary

CP Haakon and MM are really bonded together, are of one mind more than ever.

Not yet sure about CP Mary, I have a nagging feeling that she loves the advantages of being royal more than th CP, and was quite manipulative during their courtship...

Royals sould stop complaining, wealth and glam does go with some headache.

Pavlos and MC are married 10 years WOW! I bet noone thought they could make it.

MC is all into this royalty thing, she even changed her style to look more regal.

The CP who least impresses me for good and bad is Letizia

That s it for now folks:cool:

Amalia gets cuter ( I didn't think she was very cute last year. Sorry for that Amalia)
We will not have only girls in the next generation ( I hoped for only Queens ;-) )

Just a few things really:

Camilla & Charles complement each other. And considering everything that people have said in the past & even what they will say in the future, Camilla is doing a good job with her new life. She doesn't try to be flashy, she doesn't try to flaunt her status & she seems to know what she is doing.

The Casiraghi children seem to be kinda snobby. Just from looking at pics. of them they have that "I'm better than you" attitude (JMHO- no offense to anyone who is a fan of theirs). They don't like to smile either.

Prince Carl Phillip & Peter Phillips keep getting cuter as the years go on.

great thread!!

i also want to know about victoria's "bitchy side" :)

i noticed as well that fred is becoming quite lazy :) while mary does a lot of work. about her fashion doll thing, i really agree on that. sometimes she does seem to spend a lot of money in clothes but she doesn't really look that good (i mean, she looks good, but with the money she seems to spend she can do a lot better).

agree with most of you about camilla as well. my opinion changed sooo much since they married! she is doing and absolutely great job, but at the same time she doesn't "shadow" charles. she also dresses great and has lovely hats :)

prince henry is becoming a mature young boy who seems to have a lot of good things we couldn't see before. :)

rania is a great queen, a great woman and is doing a great role as royal. she has got a great combination of qualities.

ROYAL BABY BOOM: lots of pregnancies (many crown princesses pregnant) and lots of cute babies this year: leah isadora, prince hashim, irene urdangarin, princess alexia, cute carlos morales, prince emmanuel, frederik and mary's baby, and one more future king/queen in spain who will obviously be beautiful (handsome dad, beautiful mum). :)

Lena said:

Ok, here are mine:

-Camilla is damn good as duchess/princess...whatever.

I think has surprised everyone. Maybe even the Queen too! But Amen to the Duchess being excellent at her job.

Lena said:
-Prince William doesn´t seem to get caught in the prognosed "I date a woman like my mum"-trap
(In spite of "dirty Harry", I would say, that the british Royal family is back on the track)

Thank goodness for that! William dating someone like Diana with all of her emotional insecurities and her desire to be in the limelight would undo the good work that Charles and Camilla are able to carry on now.

I would add about "dirty Harry" that Sandhurst seems to be straightening him out thankfully. If only he could be rid of Chelsea ...

Lena said:
-CP Phillippe and CP Mathilde are perfect parents...and only produce cute children. One simply can´t find a hair in the soup. These days one even can´t say Phillippe is dull. For me he came across quite funny in the past things, I´ve watched of him.

These days Phillippe is absolutely glowing. Being a husband was a turning point for him, but becoming a father was the cherry on top of the ice cream that make him more rounded rather than flat and dull. Who can resist a man who looks so adoringly at his new son? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=202777&d=1128982107

Lena said:
-CP Mary is a fashion doll and CP Frederik is quite lazy

I think it is more than Frederik being lazy. I think it's the majority of the Danish royal family who is quite lazy. We hardly ever seen Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik and Joachim out on royal duties. Now that Mary is on maternity leave, only Alexandra represents the family.

Lena said:
-CP Haakon and CP Mette Marit hang around with Marie Chantal and Pavlos. (To realise, what Royals like about Marie Chantal will probably be the "thing to realise" in 2006...or 2007...2008...)

I find it very surprising that Haakon and Mette-Marit are so jet set. They have spent holidays with Marie Chantal, with Valentino, Rosario and Kyril, Cristina and Inaki, Gwyneth Paltrow. Mette-Marit seemed so shy when she came on the scene. Now she is Miss Popularity and Miss Social Butterfuly.

Lena said:
-CP Victoria has also a bitchy side

Too bad that side of her doesn't rear its head more often. It might make it more entertaining.

I have also realized that Victoria's ponytail seems to be a permanent fixture on her head like tattoed eyebrows or lipstick.

Lena said:

Call it progress but progress that I would say is backwards if that makes sense. To be able to talk about it publicly rather than hiding the mom and child away is a step in the right direction. But the step backwards is how these people (Albert and Nicole, Caroline and Ernst, Stephanie and Daniel, Louis and his girlfriend, Emmanuel and Clotilde) couldn't be proactive to use protection in the first place.

What have I realised in 2005? That I'm not very good in predictions about the sex of royal babys!:D I thought Mary will have a girl and Maxima and Letizia- boys. Maybe I'll have a chance to improve myself in 2006...:D

tiaraprin said:
Hell has frozen over in England with the marriage of Charles and Camilla.

2005 has shown that HRH Prince Charles and HRH Camilla have, with their long delayed wedding brought sunshine to the United Kingdom. We have had heatwaves (for us) here.
Just goes to show that love can conquer all.:)

Skydragon said:
2005 has shown that HRH Prince Charles and HRH Camilla have, with their long delayed wedding brought sunshine to the United Kingdom. We have had heatwaves (for us) here.
Just goes to show that love can conquer all.:)

I couldn´t agree more. It´s weird...but for me their love story is one of the few "real" ones.

1. I’ve realized what an amazing royal lady Camilla has turned out to be. She is elegantly dressed and has great raporre with the people. She is the perfect partner for Charles.

2. I’ve totally changed my mind about Mette Marit. I was not very happy when Haakon married her, but she has turned out to be a fantastic princess. She has worked hard to adjust to her new role. I also love her clothes.

Anyone else care to share their 2005 revelations?

Last edited:
I realized:
*I still do not like Camilla.
*There are Romanov relatives living in Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
*Too many royals are living together.
*Too many royals are divorced or separated.

Genevieve said:
I have also realized that Victoria's ponytail seems to be a permanent fixture on her head like tattoed eyebrows or lipstick.

Yeah, I've realized that too this year. when she was younger, Victoria did more experimenting with her hairstyles. now it seems she's become one of those old ladies who always has the exact same hairdo everyday!

Victoria, you're only 28! you're young! you're free! live a little!

* I've realised that love is blind where people worship is concerned
* I've realised that there are more Catholic Royals out there than I thought
* I've realised that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece only live down the road
* I've realised that Camilla makes a fabulous member of the Royal Family
*I've realised that Queen Beatrix is the jolliest monarch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom