Romanov Pink Sapphire

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
City
Wake Forest
Country
United States
I obtained this stone from an unknown source. My friends father lived in a predominately Russian suburb of New York growing up and his father amassed a rather large collection (40,000 carats) of gemstones. Some of which includes Russian Alexanderite and what not. With that in mind a pink sapphire seems to have fallen in my possession. My friend has been in the jewelry business for over 20 years and he believes that the stone is genuine and not synthetic. The stone itself could use a re-cutting job and has a large window but it's quite massive. It weighs 20 carats and is 17mm by 13mm. Additionally it's very clear. I looked up synthetic sapphire and it looks like sizes over 10 carats aren't commercially made nor are gems made that have such large dimensions. This leads me to believe that the stone might be one of the lost Romanov gems. My friends father checked the RI of the stone and he ruled out cubic zirconia and rose quartz. Additionally the stone is far too clear to be rose quartz. My friends father had this stone in his collection for at least 25-35 years. The stone has a strange cut, the top looks like it's a radiant cut while the bottom of the stone looks to posses an emerald cut. Honestly I'm going to play devils advocate and assume that the stone is synthetic until proven otherwise however what are your thoughts?

YrIAVK3.jpg

Last edited:
I obtained this stone from an unknown source. My friends father lived in a predominately Russian suburb of New York growing up and his father amassed a rather large collection (40,000 carats) of gemstones. Some of which includes Russian Alexanderite and what not. With that in mind a pink sapphire seems to have fallen in my possession. My friend has been in the jewelry business for over 20 years and he believes that the stone is genuine and not synthetic. The stone itself could use a re-cutting job and has a large window but it's quite massive. It weighs 20 carats and is 17mm by 13mm. Additionally it's very clear. I looked up synthetic sapphire and it looks like sizes over 10 carats aren't commercially made nor are gems made that have such large dimensions. This leads me to believe that the stone might be one of the lost Romanov gems. My friends father checked the RI of the stone and he ruled out cubic zirconia and rose quartz. Additionally the stone is far too clear to be rose quartz. My friends father had this stone in his collection for at least 25-35 years. The stone has a strange cut, the top looks like it's a radiant cut while the bottom of the stone looks to posses an emerald cut. Honestly I'm going to play devils advocate and assume that the stone is synthetic until proven otherwise however what are your thoughts?

YrIAVK3.jpg

Wow, that's beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Really beautiful, you should have it expertized.

YrIAVK3.jpg

Yeah, I have a pink stone as well. Great piece, original setting. I think mine is perhaps quite synthetic. If it is a gemstone it's man made. They seem lab created. Whatever they are, I like them. lol. They are my cherished little possessions that have no monetary value. I bought mine online and if I recall it might of come out of Hong Kong. I paid like twenty bucks for mine. It didn't require an extra fee because of the item value through customs. I'll take a photo here in a bit so you can compare colors and all to a synthetic. Mine isn't associated with Royal anything.

Attachments

• WIN_20150505_001233.jpg
    WIN_20150505_001233.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom