Most disappointing Royal 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena

Heir Apparent
City
Mandø
Country
Denmark
Since we have the "best Royal 2005" and the "most talked about Royal 2005", I think we should also have a thread, which is a little more negative (of course not in the sense of putting others here down)
It would be unfair to make a list with 10 Royals, which represent my personal resentments. So I suggest that people make their suggestions and when there´s a trend of several Royals getting minus points, the moderators should decide, if and how to make a poll.

My suggestion is: crown princess Victoria
*Murmur on the board*...how can she dare?! :D Well, I still like her (as much as one can like a person, one doesn´t know). And I guess, BECAUSE I like her, I´m disappointed (maybe you know the saying "we just criticise, what we love"). It´s not that she has lost her special tie with the people...and her many official trips were surely a pleasure to watch, but this year was also full of incidences, I didn´t approve.
It all started with the Tsunami and her absence. The whole February she was practically on holiday. In February the sibling-interview from december was aired and she seemed snappish. In March she suddenly realised in an interview, that she´s into fashion (which she wasn´t 9 months ago) and talked about helping Swedish brands, while she also wore many international brands. In June she declared, she would prefer the throne over love (I know...I know...many are impressed by so much theoretical sense of duty...for me it sounded all too pathetic)
In August she complained about journalists making so many photos at the wedding of prince Manuel of Bavaria to his Anna.
In September she attacked a journalist by saying, that she wouldn´t want children, when they would be like him. And instead of either refusing to answer on Daniel or to say directly, that she loves him (which she has done more or less before) she told about the love to her doggy. I can´t say anything about October, since she has performed hardly any duties. All in all I´ve counted around 3 months pure holidays (among them trips to Verbier 2x USA, Milan...)
Well, actually I didn´t wanted to write that much. And when you are not disappointed about her, then go on to support her. I´ve a feeling, she´s a person, who can start and work better from/with a position of common adorement, than to start from an underdog-position (with headwind)
And now I would love to hear your suggestions.

Last edited:
Hmmm Charlotte Casiraghi, I expected more on her :p
And a royal tittled I'm disappointed with Prince Harry, because of the Nazi thing
I think that was the bigger disappointment of the year, that was really really stupid :mad:

I'm not a big follower of Charlotte C., but I'm interested in your comments. In what ways has she fallen short?

Most disappointing royal: Prince Albert. He needs to grow up. His trying to hide or deny the fact that he has a son is just irresponsible and juvenile. This sordid affair is just another segment of that Monagasque trash soap opera that runs Monaco. No wonder other royals avoided his so called enthronement. If he is that worried about women taking advantage of him and getting pregnant, then for god's sake use a damn condom.:mad:

paloma said:
Most disappointing royal: Prince Albert. He needs to grow up. His trying to hide or deny the fact that he has a son is just irresponsible and juvenile. This sordid affair is just another segment of that Monagasque trash soap opera that runs Monaco. No wonder other royals avoided his so called enthronement. If he is that worried about women taking advantage of him and getting pregnant, then for god's sake use a damn condom.:mad:
Hear! Hear! His behavior makes Harry's seem tame.

paloma said:
Most disappointing royal: Prince Albert. He needs to grow up. His trying to hide or deny the fact that he has a son is just irresponsible and juvenile. :mad:

huh? you serious? I love strong opinions as much as the next person, but here you've lost me. Albert to me seemed the epitome of an adult this year: not only did he <acknowledge> to the world he's the father of Alexandre (alright, this was after the mother went to the media), he's taken on the responsibility of leading a nation (no, not merely as a figure head, like countless other royals, like Elizabeth of England; he has real influence in Monaco, which he practically owns). Also, the fact he is not married despite the whole world pressuring him to, actually shows real character! he is grown up enough to not succomb to public opinion, a la Charles marrying Diana.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but he only owned up to the fact that he had a child because he would have been outed sooner or later. This was purely trying to control the damage that was about to ensue. For the majority of monarchies to not attend his enthronement shows the level of respect that they have for the Monagasque family.......ZERO! Have a good evening.:D

I second the prince albert motion. I think his dad was disappionted in him too.

paloma said:
Most disappointing royal: Prince Albert. He needs to grow up. His trying to hide or deny the fact that he has a son is just irresponsible and juvenile. This sordid affair is just another segment of that Monagasque trash soap opera that runs Monaco. No wonder other royals avoided his so called enthronement. If he is that worried about women taking advantage of him and getting pregnant, then for god's sake use a damn condom.

I have to agree with Paloma. Even though I follow the Monaco threads, I think there is truth in this. Indeed, to some people it may seem harsh when you say that 'this sordid affair is just another segment of that Monagasque trash soap opera that runs Monaco' but I think that is a spot on description. I don't think he would have ever acknowledged or even revealed that he had a secret son had not Nicole Coste (is that her name?) outed the truth first.

I was a big fan of Princess Grace, and was always interested in Princess Caroline when she was young. I don't follow the Monaco threads, and I guess it's because they have become such a tacky family. They just don't seem royal. I really don't know what to make of Prince Albert. And Stephanie...please. Princess Caroline acts like a princess on the surface, but her personal life has lots of icky stuff in it...young marriage, divorce, pregnant at time of marriage, breaking up another marriage, etc. It's really sad. Princess Grace must be spinning in her grave.

After the tradgedy in London, I hoped to see William and Harry visiting hospitals with the rest of their family....William at least signed a condolence book in New Zealand, then prompty nicked off to Africa with his current and ex girls. Oh wait, Harry would have been trapped at Sandhurst at that stage wouldn't he?

paloma said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he only owned up to the fact that he had a child because he would have been outed sooner or later. This was purely trying to control the damage that was about to ensue. For the majority of monarchies to not attend his enthronement shows the level of respect that they have for the Monagasque family.......ZERO! Have a good evening.:D

You are not bursting my bubble at all, I said in my former post that he acknowledged the child <after> the mother went to the media. Please <read> my post before reacting so smugly.
Also, if the fact he had a child out of wedlock is such a disappointment to you, I'd hate to burst <YOUR> bubble, but then you should have a very low opinion of one of the best kings out there today, Spain's Juan Carlos. A true womanizer, with lord knows how many mistresses (past and present) and offspring out of wedlock to boot.
the truth about <all> these royal families is, we don't even know the tips of the proverbial icebergs.
Plus, if a child out of wedlock is all it takes for you to be disappointed in someone...good luck in life to you, my friend!

prince harry and prince allbert both dissapointment...both did pathetic things this year....i hope they improve.

I agree with Olga, I fail to see what is so disappointing about Albert this year. We all knew that he was a womaniser, so we could have foreseen that something like this would happen sooner or later. That this vulgar woman was so selfish to exploit her child for her own financial advantage is the real crime here (she is having a great time living in the french riviera from Alberts money). Albert in the end did the decent thing and was even open about it, which is admirable.

For me the most disappointing royal was Prince Harry with his Nazi-cravings ad his tacky girlfriend.

Aussie Princess said:
After the tradgedy in London, I hoped to see William and Harry visiting hospitals with the rest of their family....William at least signed a condolence book in New Zealand, then prompty nicked off to Africa with his current and ex girls. Oh wait, Harry would have been trapped at Sandhurst at that stage wouldn't he?

I agree! look how the Jordanian RF went to the hospitals and were so warm to the injured and families of the victims, and the extended RF went out to join demonstrations in the street, this is called to be with your people!

auntie said:
I agree! look how the Jordanian RF went to the hospitals and were so warm to the injured and families of the victims, and the extended RF went out to join demonstrations in the street, this is called to be with your people!

I so agree with you about this , the spanish royal family where the same
when it happened in there country!

I think the most disappointing royal for me in 2005 is Prince Harry. He just had too many incidences and he just acted so immature this year.
Just my opinion.

definitely Albert. his whole "i was set up" response to his illegitimate child made me sick. he's very uninspiring as a leader. i'm glad i dont live in Monaco.

Lena i'm with you on victora. though i'm mainly just dissapointed in her clothes. everytime i think it can't get any worse, she hits a new low.

What's all that talk about: You have to be royal, super-royal, mega-royal to be worthy - and the Monacos are just trash. I'm sorry to brake this to you but: All of these you're talking about are just people and I don't get what gets you so 'on' if you see them walking around and acting as if they swallowed a stick. What we need is people, humans, runaways, funny guys, honest girls, some of flesh and blood who have no fear to show they are -and some who care about life as it is : UP AND DOWN ...

sebastian said:
What's all that talk about: You have to be royal, super-royal, mega-royal to be worthy - and the Monacos are just trash. I'm sorry to brake this to you but: All of these you're talking about are just people and I don't get what gets you so 'on' if you see them walking around and acting as if they swallowed a stick. What we need is people, humans, runaways, funny guys, honest girls, some of flesh and blood who have no fear to show they are -and some who care about life as it is : UP AND DOWN ...

I agree with Sebastian, they're royal, they're wealthy, glamorous, powerful, famous you name it. But, under all of that they are human. They make mistakes like any of us could, mistakes that an expensive education and priviledge will never prevent.
They are just trying to do their best like us, the only difference is they live in a palace, have money, staff, luxury, and fame. Yes, some think that these priviledges mean that they should do better, but they are above all human, we should give them a break.

We make a mistake and it isn't major news so we can move on and make up for it if we can.

They make a mistake and it's kept in the publice realm by us, and kept in archives to be used as evidence next time they do something supposedly wrong. The mistakes of royals are never forgiven and forgotten, and to me that's very sad.:( They should be allowed some room to move, at least.

If the royals are just human, than why do we need or want them? They are supposed to be held to a higher standard, to act as role models, to be looked up to in time of crisis, etc.

royaltywatcher said:
If the royals are just human, than why do we need or want them? They are supposed to be held to a higher standard, to act as role models, to be looked up to in time of crisis, etc.

Do they need to be people they aren't just to satisfy our need for role models? If they did present a perfect image, it would be fake. Do we want royals presenting a false image to us? Couldn't we derive role models from how they deal with their crises rather than from them not having any at all?

prince william.I really thought he was going be a lot more involved since graduating.:(

royaltywatcher said:

I agree. Obviously human beings have a tendency to idolise others. So why questioning it. Somehow you will always get to a point, where your mind realises, that all human beings are equal, but that hardly anyone LIVES (after) this principle. So let´s go on to put them up to the sky and to put them down, when they don´t meet our standards. That´s some kind of schizophrenic fun-even Royals obviously don´t mind to participate...otherwise they could step down or back out of the limelight*(after all all human beings are equal :rolleyes: )

*e.g. Caroline & Ernst August, who go to the most exclusive places and love to be celebrated at festivities, but who sue at the same time the media for reporting about them *coughing*

I was also a bit disappointed with William but not too much. He is doing a lot it is just real work and not royal work. He is training for his future role. I didnt expect anything from the Casiraghi trio so im not disappointed with them. Harry messed up and fixed his life and moved on. He is smart, real and im not dissapointed with him. I guess im disappointed with Prince Albert. I just expected more from him. He will not grow up. I hope since he is now soverign he will settle down. I also am a bit dissapointed with his ruling of monaco. I fear he is too weak for the principality. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

I'm disappointed in Prince William- I think he should be taking on more royal duties rather than just playing polo 24/7. I know he has quite a few years [hopefully] before he sits on the throne, but I'd like to see him be a bit more serious about the role.
At least he behaves himself for the most part, though. His errant brother just screams "TACKY!!!" I've never liked Harry but my dislike was cemented this year, with the Nazi thing and all the petty issues with growing up he seems to have. He seems like a spoiled brat with adjustment issues. I give him some leeway, since he was born a Windsor, but he seriously needs to mature.
Prince Albert has also disappointed me. I'm sure he's a nice guy and everything, but he seems to be far too weak and inept to rule Monaco. His father was a great ruler and could have taught him well, but it doesn't seem to me like Albert is terribly interested in being the sovereign- I think he just wants to party. :(
Actually, all of these royals having children out of wedlock disappoints me. Have they never heard of birth control? :confused:

suturegeisha said:
IActually, all of these royals having children out of wedlock disappoints me. Have they never heard of birth control? :confused:

i hate to be the one to break this to you... birth control fails from time to time.:D it can happen to anyone, even royalty.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion BUT I believe you are all putting a little too much pressure on Prince Harry. Yes, he messed up with the Nazi uniform, the partying, etc. But COME ON...he is 18 years old! Yes, more is expected of him because of his position..but I think that comes with time..its not like a clock goes off at 18 and you are suddenly mature, respectful and all knowing about everything the exact day/minute you turn 18. In regards to his Nazi uniform..he has admitted that this was a mistake and has apologized. If anything..I think that episode is a prime example of a lot of youth in this world..they are so removed from a lot of events that happened in the last 50 years (World II, the Vietnam War, Holocaust, the Civil Rights Movement)..they read about it but they never experienced these events . Yes, a lot of us have not experienced it as well but we are only one or two generation away and we know/have family members who witnessed these events. I also, think you are being harsh on Charlotte (she is what 16-17!) and Prince William (who just graduated from college...give him a year at least).

Now Prince Albert..I can see. The man is way too old to be acting foolish. If you are going to fool around..use protection for goodness sake!

Zonk1189 said:
Now Prince Albert..I can see. The man is way too old to be acting foolish. If you are going to fool around..use protection for goodness sake!
Zonk, I much agree with your opinon about Harry (but I'm with Marengo that Chelsy seems to be just the epitome of tacky, not to mention that Mugabe-friendly family of hers, ugh), but beg to differ regarding Albert.

Here's why:

First of, I take it with "fooling around", you refer to "having a relationship", right?
If so, I don't think he's acting foolish at all. Let's not forget he is not married: which means that if he wants to have consensual sex with every and any (unmarried) female (or male!) over, say, 21, walking around on our planet today, he certainly would be entitled to do so. Moreover, it would be none of our business whatsoever.
(And as for him being too old for that kind of thing...what's so wrong with consensual sex at the decent age of 47, or whatever he is currently? ;)

The reason I'm quite the opposite of disappointed in Albert is because of what he has said he intends to do for Monaco during his reign, in particular

1. HIS STRIVE FOR OPENNESS
He says he will strive for as much openness as possible (hence i.e. his acknowledgment of Alexandre's existence. he could have denied it or have done nothing, but he did neither. Commendable indeed.), as far as Monaco is concerned (but I take it also re. his own life).

That's a big one, because Monaco has the reputation for attracting not only hardworking, reasonably decent business people and entertainment stars to its tax-free shores, but also a lot of tax refugees with, well, less of a clear slate shall we say.
Albert has this year openly acknowledged that Monaco is seen by many as one of <the> places for criminals to whitewash money. (makes a lot of sense: not even on the beautiful Riviera does cash grow on trees) An admission his late father NEVER made. The fact Albert did that, deserved more media attention than his prolific tryst with that Nicole woman, in my view.

Moreover, Albert has vowed to clean up his country's shady image of being a haven for suspicious business deals. A very very curious thing to announce right at your coronation, when you know, as he certainly does, that Monaco owes a lot of its wealth to shady money. Very very brave of the guy, if you ask me. Not to mention interesting. Disappointing? No way.

2. HIS INTEREST IN NATURE CONSERVANCY ISSUES

Albert has been a serious environmentalist for a long time and it looks like he's also in this matter stepping up to the plate. He has announced he will pay close attention to nature, nature conservancy, nature protection, etc. during his reign.
Glad to see that <someone> of all those royals out there is doing something in this realm: call me pedantic, but any attempt trying to increase awareness to the fact our own planet may be in serious jeopardy due to our own actions, deserves kudos.

Prior to Albert's ascending the Monaco throne, I didn't think much of him. Now I'm intrigued. And willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. My prediction: he will be one of the most interesting ones out there to watch in the coming years. He'll have plenty of years to disappoint us, but this year is not it, IMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom