Great Time For Royal Watchers - the coming events (visits, celebrations etc) & TV

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought she moved to Paris first?

Mary! Well, I take back my sarcasm. This is nice. Now they are showing Alexandra! This is much better than they have done before.

Originally posted by sky+May 14th, 2004 - 9:15 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sky @ May 14th, 2004 - 9:15 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexandria@May 14th, 2004 - 9:10 pm
Ugh! This is going to be a bad show, I think. Or at least not completely accurate. (Why don't they ever think to contact LTR members to fact check in the info?!)

They just said that Nikolaos is cousins with Prince William of Great Britian and said that at today's Danish wedding he sat behind his aunt and uncle, the Queen and King of Denmark! (At least they knew that his aunt and uncle were Margrethe and Henrik, however ...
I know!! I yelled be more accurate at the T.V. :lol: I really like the footage of F&M's wedding, I felt like a Dane. :p I hope some of J&A's wedding will be shown even for like a min. But I have a feeling we are going to hearing about Diana for about 15 mins , and how sad the boys are what Diana did. It's so old, we know Gosh!!!!!!!! :sick: [/b][/quote]
OK, I lied I wanted more than a min. of Alexandra. I couldn't even see her face. :( I like the interveiw with Fred.

Originally posted by Gabriella@May 14th, 2004 - 10:33 pm
I like hearing them all speak. I was surprised how thick Nikolaos' accent is! Seeing the photos and videos are all very nice as well. Too bad we could probably all recite this information backwards and forwards. :p
I agree, it has been a treat to hear the voices of the royals. I am quite surprised by Nikolaos of Greece's voice, too. Quite deep. He sounds quite a bit like his father.

And the mistakes keep rolling ...

They mentioned that Frederik and William and Harry are cousins.

And mentioned that Mette-Marit, Maxima and Mathilde had all done their "parts" in producing the next royal heirs, all daughters who would one day be the future queens of their country. Except that they showed a picture of Mathilde cuddling Gabriel at his baptism. :blink: (I think they mentioned the names of the girls too, and named Gabriel rather than Elisabeth.)

Clothilde's voice also surprises me. Her english is better that Emanuele's. She does not have a very thick accent at all. At times she almost sounds American. I wonder if she lived here for a time....

Yes, the mistakes continue. But I am finding it refreshing to see some of these people on TV for once. Clothilde is just darling. Beautiful in her wedding gown. Yes, I noticed that. She did sound American. But the way, she spoke was quite French.

I never noticed how pretty Princess Clothidle is. I have never seen a picture of princess Victtoria, she has her mother 's eyes. And Clothidle 's english is very good, I guess she has done some American movies.

being a movie star is more fun than being a princess? I don't know about that one... :unsure:

Originally posted by sky@May 14th, 2004 - 10:54 pm
I never noticed how pretty Princess Clothidle is. I have never seen a picture of princess Victtoria, she has her mother 's eyes. And Clothidle 's english is very good, I guess she has done some American movies.
She has done a couple of English language films and her English is quite good.

I just watched the 20/20 and I thought it was pretty good. Yes, a lot of time was devoted to Willam and Harry. But I thought they did are good job of covering other royals such as Fred/Mary, Phillipe, Caroline/Stephanie. I understand though why the most attention was on the British royal family. They are the most well know royal family...I mean before I became interested in royalty that is the only family I knew of. There were are few mistakes in the special, but the only one that really bothered me is that they talked about the rumors of Charlotte marrying William. They failed to point out the Charlotte is catholic and William would have to give up his throne to marry her. overall, very good special and it comes at a good time, this being the time of two Crown Prince weddings.

I watched it with my mum last night.It was much more interesting than I thought it would have been.

My mum said that Prince Emanuelle Filiberto looked like he was crazy! :lol:
I laughed, but deep down inside I think he is rather handsome. :rolleyes:

Did any of you see the 20/20 (a US newsmagazine program) on the young royals last night? I went to see TROY so I had to tape it, but I'm glad I did because it had some good footage of yesterday's wedding! I was so surprised to see that on an American news channel. They had an interesting interview with Prince Nikolaos, Prince Emanuelle-Filiberto & Princess Clotilde, and some others.

Here's a link to the 20/20 website with some pictures and info about the show:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sections/2020/

If you dig around a bit at that site there's also some video from the show and a quiz about royal scandals.

Ok guys...I originally posted the two messages on the wrong board so please don't think I'm crazy now that they're at the end of the thread specifically about the 20/20 show!!! They were moved. Anyhow, it was nice to finally see some US coverage about royals other than Harry and Wills (even though they were featured prominently)!

I answered all of the questions correctly on the ABC site about royalty. :woot: I knew I would, the questions were so easy.

Originally posted by sky@May 15th, 2004 - 6:40 pm
I answered all of the questions correctly on the ABC site about royalty. :woot: I knew I would, the questions were so easy.
Yes, they were tough but most people are not royal experts like you are, Sky! :p

Originally posted by Dennism+May 15th, 2004 - 5:57 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dennism @ May 15th, 2004 - 5:57 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sky@May 15th, 2004 - 6:40 pm
I answered all of the questions correctly on the ABC site about royalty. :woot:  I knew I would, the questions were so easy.
Yes, they were tough but most people are not royal experts like you are, Sky! :p [/b][/quote]
I know!!. But everyone should be just like ME!! :lol:

Yeah...that was one interesting little program they had there. I thought most of it was good, but the last segment about how it's good to be in hollywood rather than royal was really random and not very well thought out. Also- I was very disturbed to hear that Henrik is the KING of Denmark. :doh: :blink: Does anyone else know about this development??? :p LOL
~Kathleen

Originally posted by sky@May 15th, 2004 - 6:40 pm
That quiz was really easy.
I also got all 10 correct.

I thought the special was ok. The last segment though was so stupid! I dont see why they had to do that comparison with hollywood celebrities at the end. It was quite out of place. Perhaps they were trying to say that hollywood is American royalty. But I mean, why do they have to do a whole show on european royalty and then at the end portray them as a bunch of spoiled, useless, boring people. They did imply that hollywood celebrities are better than royals, more "fun" and have much more freedom but so what? The simple fact is that royalty is not hollywood. As far as im concerned, no self-respecting woman in her right mind, let alone a royal princess, would want to be Christina Aguilera.
On one hand they were saying that it was now possible for an ordinary woman to marry a prince, but at the same time they were implying that royalty's useless.
I dont know if it's just me but they seemed to throwing out contradictory messages out there.
Lets face it, the American media's obessessed with royalty but they also love being condescending and putting royals down.

Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@May 16th, 2004 - 12:02 am
I dont see why they had to do that comparison with hollywood celebrities at the end. It was quite out of place. Perhaps they were trying to say that hollywood is American royalty. 
At least they didn't pull out that old cliche about the Kennedys being America's royalty. ;) Oh my gosh, I am so sick of that analogy.

and in June there will be a baptism in the Netherlands

Vietnamese President will visit Great Britain on 22 May 2004.Is it the official visit?

I was really very disappointed with ABC, because they made Royalty seem so superficial. And I read that Barbara Walters actually interviewed many Royals before too. So she really could have done a better job with her interview. And the TV commercials were a distraction too, because Royals are not products like Fords!

Sherry!

The biggest revelation for me, was that I've always pronounced Constantine's name as "Con-stan-TEEN", while the program had it as "Con-stan-TINE." :lol: So that was new to me. It was good to see ABC realizing that there are royals aside from William and Harry (not that I dislike them) and nice to see they talked to CP Frederik and Nikolaos. Clotilde is a charmer :heart: . The last segment with Britney, Cristina, Madonna, et al, was absurd. I would have liked to have seen more of the royals themselves. :angry: But still, a nice change of pace. Now, I just hope that some network will show a wee bit of Felipe and Letizia's wedding on Saturday. :woot:

state visits

King Harald and Queen Sonja have been invited to pay a state visit to greece.
june 7 - 10

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia to pay a State visit to Slovenia
june 15 - 17

The crown princess of sweden's birthday july 14

While ABC made errors (I nearly fell over when they said the King and Queen of Denmark) they showed some great ideas in interviewing Frederik and Emanuele Filiberto, Prince of Venice.

However, you will never stop hearing about William and Harry--people have taken them and their mother to their hearts-- and that is what most of the unenlightened public wishes to hear about. I do want to hear about William and Harry, but I want to hear more about the others too!!

By the way, didn't you think that dress Clotilde wore in that interview was downright ghastly?? The hair and jewelry didn't help either?? I was wondering if she was hiding another pregnancy??

I was unable to see this show and though rife with error (hardly surprising :rolleyes: ) I would like a video of it.

If someone taped it, I'm willing to pay you for a copy of the show :flower:

Wimbledon and Royal Ascot are coming soon in June!! Also Prince William's 22nd birthday on June 21!!

Originally posted by tiaraprin@May 29th, 2004 - 10:35 pm
Wimbledon and Royal Ascot are coming soon in June!! Also Prince William's 22nd birthday on June 21!!
but is williams birthday official? is not that a privite thing with little pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom