Best Royal of 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the "Best" Royal of 2005?

• Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • King Juan Carlos of Spain

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

Votes: 27 13.5%
  • Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall

Votes: 39 19.5%
  • Queen Rania of Jordan

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • Princess Alexandra of Denmark

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Prince Albert of Monaco

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Prince Charles of Wales

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Princess Mary of Denmark

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other, please specify in post

Votes: 22 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saragli

Heir Presumptive
City
Arctica
Country
Antarctica
I think the top Royals of 2005 are HRH Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall and HH Princess Alexandra of Denmark.

Camilla because she came into the RF on shaky grounds and into a nation that was still unsure of her and has won many over. She has shown complete grace and charm in her royal duties. She does a lot and has made Charles a much better man. She is charming, funny, and warm. She is also a very elegant dresser. A good wife to the heir and good royal.

Alexandra because she is the model princess. Everything a modern princess should be she is. She and her ex husband handled the divorce very well. She didnt go giving interviews about the problems and bash her ex and others. She has shown complete grace and is a wonderfull person. She is a great mother and deserves true happiness. Alexandra is a great asset to Denmark even after the divorce.

Edit: Poll added. Norwegianne.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think The Duchess of Cornwall. She's just great!

Hmm best royal for 05'. I would say Alexandra of Denmark. 05 hasn't been easy for her after the divorce and she has shown real grace, dignity and strength this year. She is a devoted mother and princess not just this year but since she became a princess and then mother. On a shallow level, she just keeps getting more beautiful with age and I think she deserves great happiness in the future. My vote must go to Princess Alexandra of Denmark.

It kills me to say it but HRH the Duchess of Cornwall :rolleyes:

"MII"

Very definitely a tie between ALexandra of Denmark and the Dutchess of Cornwall.

Although a more politically correct one would be Beatrix of the Netherlands, what with her being 25 years on the job this year (and mind you, NO personal scandal in all that time. yes, there've been scandals involving family members, but not her personally. Hats off to her! A true professional! I personally hope she'll put in another 25. can't stand the thought of her self righteous son getting the job)

Or..perhaps Albert of Monaco? He'd make a good candidate, too, for obvious reasons (no, I am not referring to his newly-acknowledged son.)

princess olga said:
Very definitely a tie between ALexandra of Denmark and the Dutchess of Cornwall.

Although a more politically correct one would be Beatrix of the Netherlands, what with her being 25 years on the job this year (and mind you, NO personal scandal in all that time. yes, there've been scandals involving family members, but not her personally. Hats off to her! A true professional! I personally hope she'll put in another 25. can't stand the thought of her self righteous son getting the job)

Or..perhaps Albert of Monaco? He'd make a good candidate, too, for obvious reasons (no, I am not referring to his newly-acknowledged son.)

It's a little of topic, but why do you consider W-A self-righteous?:confused:

And, yes, I forgot about Beatrix! She certainly has done a great job!:) But, she isn't completely scandal-free. There was an issue with her choosing Prince Claus for her husband, but that was smoothed over fairly quickly.

I agree with all on HH P Alexandra and The Duchess of Cornwall (it kills me to admit it too).

Whoever thought I would look forward to seeing what Camilla Parker-Bowles wears? But she really has a great fashion sense--love that velvet. And it's kind of amusing to see the lack of disapproval from The Prince of Wales when she brings 50 dresses across the Atlantic for a visit to the U.S. I'm sure Diana would have gotten grief and been considered a clotheshorse intellectual lightweight for the same behavior.

Also, Camilla looks so happy at all of these events. It's hard not to like her.

Princess Alexandra will always be my favorite. I wish this year hadn't happened as it did for her.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands - she does it with style, grace, class, and dignity all the way.

Crown Prince Felipe & Crown Princess Letizia of Spain - who has been extremly busy with royal duties but did all of them with pleasure, gracefulness, and sincerity. at the end of the year, they managed to give us a great pleasure by presenting la Infanta Leonor (who is very very adorable, cute, and beautiful)

the whole Spanish Royal Family : King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina & Urdangarin family, Infanta Elena & Marichalar family have contributed to many joy this year from their easter holiday & summer holiday in palma de mallorca (we've definetely seen so many beautiful & adorable photos of them), also on family events like Irene's baptism, and their visits to Infanta Leonor. They're hardworkers and a really mature but down-to-earth royal family.

i agree on Princess Alexandra of Denmark - she has proven us divorce is not something to be sorry about, but it become a motivator for her to keep going on with her royal events, and even more busy toward the end of the year by doing humanitarian visits to South Africa, & Sri Langka, she also dazzles us in London (with that green dress), recently in Russia, and definetely on norwegian royal visit. moreover, she continue to be a really good mother to Nikolai & Felix. divorce never look good on anyone as with her, she looks younger and seems more fresh.

Norwegian Royal Family, including King Harald & Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit has given us extreme joy this year with their centenial celebrations, starting from exhibition in London, gala at drammen thetre, celebration at parliament, and their many many royal visit in & out of norway. in Japanese royal visit, Mette-Marit gracely curtsey to the Emperor & Empress and accompany them with pleasure even though she's pregnant. in Swedish royal visit & visit to Denmark, the scandinavian royals given us lots & lots of glitter. And of course, who could ever forget their royal visit to United Kingdom, in which we saw glitter, elegant dresses, and a visibly heavily pregnant Crown Princess.

Queen Beatrix of Netherlands also has unbelievable amazing year with all her Silver Jubilee visit to all provinces in the country and a very happy Queen’s Day. Little Princesses and little Count & Countess give her family pleasure and happiness. Also, the Vollenhovens’ Pieter-Christian & Floris wives Anita & Aimee joined the ever so popular princely family.

On a lighter note, this month we also saw Princess Sayako of Japan become Mrs.Sayako Kuroda. A mixed feelings as she has to leave her royal life to become just ordinary citizen.

Zara Phillips of England.... Not only is she an excellent sportswoman in her own right, but she is a fashion icon and a great ambassador for us. Zara devotes her spare time to so many charity causes and is patron of a great great cause!

This was the year of Queen Beatrix. She was so busy with her jubilee and radiated like never before. Thumbs up to her and I hope she will have a rest in the next year so that she can recover from her knee operation (& enjoy her grandchildren more).

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden absolutly, she works a lot in the Royal Duties:D

Prince Hashim of Jordan, because it was courageous at 9/11.

Queen Elizabeth II. The best royal every year for me.

Both princely couples: Felipe&Letizia and Frederick&Mary (many duties, first children).
Princess Alexandra of Denmark (divorce - still in great form, duties).
Princess Sayako (new, different life).
TM Queens Elizabeth II and Beatrix.

Camilla is definitely the best royal of 2005. other royals are fabulous all round. but i think her wedding and amazing performance afterward makes her the best of the year.

I'll definitely say that King Harald of Norway ranks up there - he recovered quickly from his cancer, (even if that was 2004), set out on a heavy programme for 2005. Only to be twarthed by heart-problems and effectively needing surgery. After a brief recuperating period, he was back on his feet and performing just as hard programme as he had been doing before the surgery. With plenty of official business to take care of... he's doing much more than others coming straight from two intensive surgeries might at that age.

That, and he's got the cutest trio of granddaughters ;)

I vote for it being Queen Beatrix's year.

Last year she had a very difficult year with losing both of her parents on the heels of losing her beloved husband. This year the Queen was stronger and better than ever. She celebrated her jubilee -- an impressive feat in of itself -- and she celebrated it with great aplomb and enthusiasm. All those tours she made in and around the Netherlands to celebrate where her fellow Dutchmen welcomed her with open arms and she was so receptive right back at them, those great family-filled celebrations around Queen's Day with those concerts and parties.

Plus, she became a grandmother again twice over with the addition of Luana and Alexia to her family, and an aunt-in-law twice over with the addition of Anita and Aimée.

This year seemed to be very much about the queen as it was about family, and I think those are two very important things.

I voted for another Royal, not just because I'm a big fan of her but it was a really difficult for her and her family. I'm talking about Princess Caroline. Her father dies, her husband got seriously sick and her son had some problems with the press. She seems to handle all of it pretty great. And I adore her for that. Really a great woman and a great Princess!!!

For me , Princesses Mathilde and Maxima where the best royals of 2005.
First of all , the both got ( third and second) child , and they worked very hard and always looked great !

Layla1971 said:
It's a little of topic, but why do you consider W-A self-righteous?:confused:
I'm happy to elaborate on that one some other time and thread: forgive me but today, I don't feel like expressing criticisms about anyone or anything! :)

Layla1971 said:
And, yes, I forgot about Beatrix! She certainly has done a great job!:) But, she isn't completely scandal-free. There was an issue with her choosing Prince Claus for her husband, but that was smoothed over fairly quickly.

Well, first of all, that was in the late sixties: some decade and a half before her becoming queen! And anyway, as it turned out, that scandal had everything to do with the nationality of the person, no more, no less. Claus was German, and in the late sixties, the war was still fresh in the minds of the Dutch. But as they got to know Claus, he turned out to be the best of royal consorts: honest, with an incredibly intact moral compass. The Dutch ended up truly adoring him. Today, three years after his death, he is sorely missed.

Last edited:
Acting Royal

Amomg the yonger generation Royals CP Victoria is highly esteemed. She know how to act as one can expect from a Royal. CP Mary also will become an asset to Denmark.

I'm generally very hesitant to use words like "best" ;) because there's so much diversity among the royals, and so many are real assets to their respective countries. Still, I voted for Rania of Jordan because she spent a lot of time in 2005 involved in humanitarian projects while still maintaining her family life in Jordan. She's fantastic-looking, of course, but she also seems to be very much interested in global issues and wants to be actively involved in helping people. So I gave her my vote.:)

Alexandra is on my last place because she cheated on Joachim. That was not fair, and he got all the problems with the divorce because the media thought it was him that cheated on Alexandra.
I vote for King Harald too because he has been soo ill and still was very positive

I'd say Camilla, Alexandra and Rania, for all of the above reasons.

Camilla has shown over the past year that she can "stand by her man" and get what she wants. Moreover she's done so in a way that isn't tacky or cheap. I've never been her biggest fan and don't particularly like the way that these days people seem to want to gloss over the huge role she played in the break-up of Charles marriage and seem to want to make her out to be a saint. However, she's bided her time incredibly well and in getting the man she wants she hasn't been at all smug about it. In fact, she's been the exact opposite. It's taken alot of hard work and dedication on her part but she's finally winning people round. Good luck to her in 2006! Mayit be as happy a year as 2005.

Queen Rania has been incredibly busy over 2005, she's given birth to her 4th child and yet hasn't let that stand in the way of her Royal duties and obligations. She's taken part in the Arab Women's summit, Jordanian Economic Forum, the recent forum led by Bill Clinton and most importantly has included her children wherever possible. She's not afraid to take them with her on official duties whether it's a simple tree-planting ceremony in Amman or an official trip. Furthermore, she and the rest of the Jordanian Royal Family have dealt with the recent terrorist bombings in Amman incredibly well and have shown real solidarity with their citizens. Finally, on a personal note the fact that she and her husband both visited Pakistan soon after the earthquake is something I admire a great deal and something that meant a great deal to Pakistanis at home and abroad.

I've really admired the way Alexandra has handled the past year. Such a public divorce cannot have been simple but she's retained a dignified front and has shown that she is completely dedicated to Denmark by continuing with her Royal dutieis with such ease and grace. Furthermore it cannot have been easy for her with all the cosntant talk and press attention about the "love" between Fred and Mary when only a few years ago those sorts of articles were about her and Joachim.

Last edited:
betina said:
Alexandra is on my last place because she cheated on Joachim. That was not fair, and he got all the problems with the divorce because the media thought it was him that cheated on Alexandra.

Was this proven? that Alexandria actually cheated on Joachim?

But my favourite royal this year was Princess Mary. She did so much work this year and despite her pregnancy, she outworked the entire Danish royal family in my opinion. A dutiful princess:)

yes she has known Martin for a long time apperently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom