Wedding of William & Catherine: Arrival of the Foreign Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Especially since the Wessex attended the Entrhonement ceremony of Albert.

Quite so, and that they have attended most of the European royal weddings in the last decade or so.

Mirabel said:
I hope the BRF sends someone other than Edward and Sophie Wessex.

Nothing against them, but they seem to be dispatched to all the European weddings. It would be nice to see someone else for a change!

Who else would go?

Maybe the Duke of York should take his daughters. That would liven things up. ;) A couple more crazy hats and maybe the British media would pay attention to the wedding.

The Wessexes go because they are available, not offensive and represent the Queen well. They are also closest in age to the CP couples who have been getting married.

You wouldn't send Andrew as he has no partner.

You wouldn't send Anne and Tim as she will be busy getting ready for her own daughters wedding and her husband isn't HRH.

Charles and Camilla - again too much controversy - some foreign royals I think still have trouble with accepting Camilla.

In time William and Kate could go but at this point in time would be too much for the foreign media.

IMO the BBC could easily have spent 30 seconds on foreign royalty without jeopardizing the national integrity of the average Briton! I hope that the well informed Brits (on non- UKroyalty!) on this forum will agree!:)

Queen Margrethe wore recycled clothes at the Mandarin-dinner as well as at the wedding itself. The evening gown looked like a mix & remake of old gala dresses and it wasn't one of her best moments. The blue coat-and-dress with the Teletubby hat has had its time and needs to be retired. IMO she was pushing her luck by wearing it for the wedding but she knew that the Brits couldn't tell - in case they got a glimpse of her!

Viv

It would have been nice if BBC and CNN (the two channels I watched) could have spent some more time on the foreign royals. I think that was one of the best things about Victoria's wedding...you got to see the beautiful gowns and tiaras.

Now you mention it; the TV-coverage of the Swedish wedding surpasses everything I've seen in that field so far! :flowers:

Viv

Last edited:
Ok Ive heard a lot of complaints about the coverage of the Foreign Royals at this wedding and finally decided to look into what all the fuss was about. Isn't the blame for the lack of coverage more to do with the BBC than the BRF? I was just watching my recording of the wedding from E! and there was no mention of the Foreign Royals at all.
Was it too hard to cover them because they all arrived at the same time?

Ok Ive heard a lot of complaints about the coverage of the Foreign Royals at this wedding and finally decided to look into what all the fuss was about. Isn't the blame for the lack of coverage more to do with the BBC than the BRF? I was just watching my recording of the wedding from E! and there was no mention of the Foreign Royals at all.
Totally agree - any "blame" for the lack of foreign royal coverage should fall on the BBC, it seems almost silly to think otherwise. The BBC for the most part focused entirely on the actual wedding service; there weren't even shots of the entrance of the British royals.

I would have enjoyed to see the footage of when the foreign royals arrived at the Abbey and did their little photo ops outside on the red carpet. There was a very fast shot of the foreign royals were walking down the aisle, when the commentator identified "Princess Lalla Salma of Thailand", so perhaps it was a good thing it happened so quickly! Really, I think the BBC felt that a majority of their audience just wouldn't be interested in hearing a person rattle off the names of various Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses (Being honest, I doubt they had a commentator who could do that). And it might be fair to say that people who were/are interested in such things could probably identify the foreign royals themselves and pause the wedding to say: hey look it's The Queen of Denmark! Yay Princess Maxima! Damn Prince Felipe...

XeniaCasaraghi said:

Yup, the beeb probably had free reign on filming with very few restrictions that the royal family would have specified (ie. filmed from a certain distance and can only zoom in so much).
I wish they would have had some moments not seen on the day included on the DVD. Such as Michael Middelton lifting Kate's veil, or stuff like more extensive footage of Will and Harry greeting guests, and more extensive footage of the royal families arriving and chatting with each other in the Abbey.

At least there are some really nice pictures of the foreign royals. Letizia, Victoria, and Charlene stand out the most for me; they all looked really beautiful.
It does seem like the royals on the continent get better recognition when they go to other weddings outside of the UK. Speaking of which, some of these people have got to be tired with some major jetlag. Seems a lot of royal couples are getting married in quick succession.

My understanding is that as well as the Crown Prince, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte can also act as Regent.

Back
Top Bottom