Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill's Marriage Banns and Reception: May 19, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't like the shiny material of Madeleine's dress, and it does nothing for her figure (hence the pregnancy rumours perhaps. She doesn't look like the radiant bride to be on the photos that I have seen, and most other royals also look as if they are attending a funeral. The queen looks elegant as usual and I have to admit that Sofia looked nice today too, and she actually smiled. Mrs. O'Neill was not too succesful, the dress is to 'young' for her and the hat just doesn't work. Were Chris' sisters also there?

Edit: the royals & esp. Madeleine seem much more relaxed and cheerful in the pictures after the ceremony. What did the princess & Chris receive from the prime minister?

Yes, it's Chris' half sister Natascha Abensberg und Traun (born Loeb)

The photos are great. I like how they have given the media some access.

I think that it isn't right, when you compare how Victoria's and Daniel's reception was handled. This gives the impression that the king and queen are quite snobbish and treat people better if they have money and status. Maybe the king and queen don't mean that, but that is it how it looks like. If it was because the Westlings didn't want so much photos and openess for the media then, the media shouldn't been there now either. I can understand that Victoria and Daniel were treated a little more stricter because Victoria is the heir, but to me this is sad to watch, how easy everything is for Madeleine, Chris, Carl Philip and Sofia, compared to Victoria and Daniel.

Chris got a surprise, when his sister Tatjana d'Abo arrived from Britain to attend at the banns and was also at the group photos.
Chris O'Neills stora överraskning Systern Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

An etiquette expert Magdalena Ribbing about the outfits
Ribbing Tycker kjolen ska sluta under knäet Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Madeleine and Chris leaving
http://media.shootitlive.com/RzFVfgGd9o4K44Ard4vrAwGq0jk/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
Carl Philip and Sofia leaving
http://media.shootitlive.com/TBiJLo8sy0W6mlwTANCRU92Z3Qs/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
http://media.shootitlive.com/RsPoGuLV9PhIh9JGGVK0ziFjkUG/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
http://media.shootitlive.com/6CcRDwlvqS8dKUUYVoQ1LN2qo8W/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365

Last edited:
I would suspect the children included In the photo will be part of the bridal party.

wow, sophia in the group picture! wonder if this means anything? she was invited to estelle's baptism, to lilian's funeral, now to madeleine's banns. i think it's a safe guess to say she will also be there for the wedding.

wow, sophia in the group picture! wonder if this means anything? she was invited to estelle's baptism, to lilian's funeral, now to madeleine's banns. i think it's a safe guess to say she will also be there for the wedding.

Sophia was not included in the group picture!

I think that it isn't right, when you compare how Victoria's and Daniel's reception was handled. This gives the impression that the king and queen are quite snobbish and treat people better if they have money and status. Maybe the king and queen don't mean that, but that is it how it looks like. If it was because the Westlings didn't want so much photos and openess for the media then, the media shouldn't been there now either. I can understand that Victoria and Daniel were treated a little more stricter because Victoria is the heir, but to me this is sad to watch, how easy everything is for Madeleine, Chris, Carl Philip and Sofia, compared to Victoria and Daniel.

Chris got a surprise, when his sister Tatjana d'Abo arrived from Britain to attend at the banns and was also at the group photos.
Chris O'Neills stora överraskning Systern Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

An etiquette expert Magdalena Ribbing about the outfits
Ribbing Tycker kjolen ska sluta under knäet Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Madeleine and Chris leaving
http://media.shootitlive.com/RzFVfgGd9o4K44Ard4vrAwGq0jk/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
Carl Philip and Sofia leaving
http://media.shootitlive.com/TBiJLo8sy0W6mlwTANCRU92Z3Qs/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
http://media.shootitlive.com/RsPoGuLV9PhIh9JGGVK0ziFjkUG/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
http://media.shootitlive.com/6CcRDwlvqS8dKUUYVoQ1LN2qo8W/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365

I have to agree, Victoria and Daniel seemed to have a much harder time of it than Madeleine and CP have with their partners.
I remember reading so much (which could of course all be rubbish but after a while you start to think no smoke without fire) about how the King especially did not approve of Daniel and how he and the Queen had not hardly met his parents before the wedding. Now though we see a big difference with Chris and his family and Sofia, the only difference is it appears that Chris especilly is a wealthy socialite rather than a hardworking business owner (Daniel). I do feel less respect for the King and QueenI have to say.

On the fashion? Did not like what Madeleine wore - too shiny and it showed off her shoulders in church.
Don't know why Chris' mother had a plant pot on her head but she looked a bit silly IMO, I liked the Queen's outfit until I saw the hat was not a hat but just a band around her head.

Is the publishing of marriage banns in Sweden usually this big a deal or are the SRF making a big deal out of a relatively minor occassion? Seems a bit OTT to have people flying in from UK and US, as well as having the PM and other officials in attendance.

Aftonbladet's fashion expert Nina Johansson about the outfits
5/5 for Victoria
4/5 for Sofia and Eva O'Neill
3/5 for Silvia and Madeleine
Så fina var deras klänningar Nyheter Aftonbladet

The royal experts about that a family photo with Sofia in it was published:
Jenny Alexandersson says that it is historic because the photo is sent to newspaper offices worldwide. And because the king really has changed the old tradition of engagement required to belong to the family. Johanna Lejon says that it is completely unique. To her knowledge it hasn't previously happened that someone who is not engaged or married into the royal family or family in other ways, like Eva O'Neill, may be involved in these kinds of more or less official photo shoots.
That Sofia is included in the photo with the extended family suggests that engagement with Carl Philip could be close. Alexandersson says that you never know, it depends on what image they use on the court website. If this photo is there it gives signals that we do not need to wait long for the engagement.
Här är den nya familjebilden Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
I have to agree, Victoria and Daniel seemed to have a much harder time of it than Madeleine and CP have with their partners.
I remember reading so much (which could of course all be rubbish but after a while you start to think no smoke without fire) about how the King especially did not approve of Daniel and how he and the Queen had not hardly met his parents before the wedding. Now though we see a big difference with Chris and his family and Sofia, the only difference is it appears that Chris especilly is a wealthy socialite rather than a hardworking business owner (Daniel). I do feel less respect for the King and QueenI have to say.

But Victoria is to be Queen and I think the King felt that Daniel was maybe a bit too much of a "commoner" and not the sort a future queen should marry. He was maybe hoping if he was obstructive Victoria would see his point of view. Good think she didn't. I am so happy to see that Daniel proved him wrong and is doing a fantastic job

And now she is on the Swedish royal website too: http://www.kungahuset.se/kungafamil...119aa5d26&folderId=19.4ea495e313c19c119aa5dd3

How terribly annoying that by her presence on the official photo the focus goes from the couple that is about to get married to Sofia. I am sure that even the PR geniuses of the Swedish court could have predicted this one. No idea why they didn't put Madeleine and Chris in the middle of the picture either, since it was their day.

I wonder what she did to deserve such a special treatment, considering Daniel was barely aknowledged for almost a decade.

Last edited:
If she would be a decent person, she wouldn´t have attended at all :whistling:
Nice to see Chris a bit more relaxed in the photos later. Gives one hope that he doesn´t looks grimly on his wedding day.

QUOTE]
If the SRF had a problem with Sofia being there they should not have invited her, but since she was obviously invited why should she have refused to go? Decency, what ever you mean by that, has nothing to do with it. She was invited and she attended. She was asked to join the group being photographed, so she did and was photographed. If you have a problem with her attending and being included in the photographs perhaps you had best send a note to the palace, since they do not seem to have the same problem.

Sadly, I don't think any of the women were well-dressed today. I'm quite disappointed. I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come. :(

Nice to see Chris a bit more relaxed in the photos later. Gives one hope that he doesn´t looks grimly on his wedding day.

Why? I think it would be very rude to turn down an invitation to celebrate the wedding of your longtime serious boyfriend's sister. It was very appropriate for her to accept the invitation and attend.

Last edited:
She is Carl's girlfriend and a big part of his life it seems only right that she be there it is a family event. I also think this is showing the family has accepted her past and they have no problems with her and their son.

It is quite possible that lessons were learned and that Victoria and Daniel are the ones advocating for these changes and who are helping to make it easier for Chris and Sofia.

After all, both Chris and Sofia were invited to Estelle's baptism, and I'm sure Victoria and Daniel had a direct say in the guest list.

I´m soooo sorry that I questioned the SRF, my bad :flowers:

Where the other sister there? I just saw Tatiana.

Don't forget that Daniel was (and is) very seriously ill. He must take a lot of drugs every day. It is very dangerous to accept such consort in hereditary system.

Don't forget that Daniel was (and is) very seriously ill. He must take a lot of drugs every day. It is very dangerous to accept such consort in hereditary system.

Wut?

He had a kidney transplant. Many people survive kidney transplants and thrive for the rest of their lives afterwards, and his illness certainly shouldn't have influenced whether or not he was an appropriate husband for Crown Princess Victoria.

Indeed, he's proven not only to be an appropriate choice but an ideal choice and the future of the monarchy is in great hands with those two.

But it was known the whole time that Daniel's disease wasn't hereditary.
Daniel isn't ill, he has a kidney transplant (and has to take medicine because of that) and said just when he visited the clinic he was operated that he has never felt better, he is taking care of his shape by going to the gym, running and playing floorball.

Expressen's fashion expert Emma Danielsson about the outfits
5/5 Victoria, Daniel
4/5 Madeleine, Chris, the queen
3/5 The king, Sofia, Carl Philip
Så välklädda var de kungliga paren Mode Modenyheter Modereportage Trender Tips Expressen
Translation

Why are Chris's mother and sister wearing flower pots?

Chris' mother looks like she's wearing a shriner's hat (the guys who ride the scooters/carts at the end of the parades in the US), her dress is not attractive - but I liked the coat she had on in the pictures of her entering the church.

I'm sorry, but I think Victoria's dress looks just like something my mother wore in the mid 1980s.

Madeleine: the design of the dress is ok, but I'm not fond of the material and the peplum and the way it fits around her tummy do indeed make her look pregnant.

Queen Silvia, however, is dressed conservatively, gracefully and entirely appropriate for the occasion.

Just my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom